Chronarch ci4+ vs lews team lite

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Chronarch ci4+ vs lews team lite

Post by Afrayedknot » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:56 am

Which of these two reels casts smoother, longer, and in a less finicky manner?

In looking for a reel that casts like the "set and forget" cu/ch 51e which is non-finicky and can cast very far, but is smoother and more refined.

Will be used for t-rigs, jigs, square bills, spinnerbaits, occasionally top water, soft plastic swim baits, and chatter baits which will be 3/8-1/2 oz in weight generally, and hardly ever reach 3/4 oz in total weight. Must be capable of long 30-35+ yard casts with lures such as a swim jig or Zara spook jr.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Chronarch ci4+ vs lews team lite

Post by Bootytrain » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:18 am

I have a team lite but I haven't really put it through the ringer bombing casts yet. It does cast light lures pretty well and us comparable to the Chronarch 50 in size. I'll take it out this weekend and throw some heavier lures and see what's what.

MRQturbo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MRQturbo » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:17 am

i wonder how long term usage and durability will compare with the 2 also.....are lews as solid in the long run as shimanos...

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:15 am

CI4 is really good for moving baits; powerful and smooth as butter. Pretty close to set and forget. I alter external dial to get extra distance on low wind days. I could accept normal Shimano distances and not adjust anything if I wanted to.

Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hennessy » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:41 am

Ok, here we go. Don't have the chronarch but DID have the metanium, core & 15 aldebaran. My lews lite casted farther than the 15 aldebaran, only had 1 brake on the alde. The chronarch also never is on sale, I got all my team lites on eBay for $175 & less. I've switched all my reels out for the new lews lite. The reels I had were core 50mg, revo mgx, jdm steez, white patriarch xt, 15 alde, 13 metanium. By no means I'll say all those reels r better/smoother. I will say the lews lite casted better than all of them, plus its cheaper. The lews lite is also 5.6 oz compared to 6.5 for the ci4. Can't speak on longevity of the lite, but 5 yrs from now, I'm sure lews will have something better out. Their new braking system is the REAL deal. The new magnesium reel lews at icast has the same system

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:49 am

I have the Team Lite and I'll tell you it will out cast most of my arsenal. That includes my Cores Metaniums and my Steez. It's not as smooth as my Steez is, but very smooth. I'd like a darker color but other than that, I have zero complaints.

My only adjustments on the breaks come with wind change. Same setting I use for Pointer 78's, I also use for Jigs. Basically 3-4 on the mag breaks and I leave it.

I am a Shimano snob and this was my first Lews. I haven't purchased a new Shimano product since the Core/Chronarch E series. Not a fan of the new Shimano stuff at all.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:31 pm

Thanks guys. That's what I was hoping to read. I was not a fan of the Curado I due to it being finicky for me, and I was a big supporter of the movement of lews putting the ACS braking in their reels other than the bb1 pro since it came out, so I feel I owe them a chance. I feel that the team lite will go very nicely with a fenwick elite tech bass as well.

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:46 pm

Afrayedknot wrote:Thanks guys. That's what I was hoping to read. I was not a fan of the Curado I due to it being finicky for me, and I was a big supporter of the movement of lews putting the ACS braking in their reels other than the bb1 pro since it came out, so I feel I owe them a chance. I feel that the team lite will go very nicely with a fenwick elite tech bass as well.

They just announced the New Team Pro at ICAST. It's like 280 but looks sweet. It's even lighter than thr Team Lite too.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:52 pm

I got some time on the Team Lite this weekend and it does cast really far. Only threw a 3/8 oz rooster tail but was slinging it a good distance on 10lb fluoro. It would definitely give my Metanium a run for its money. I couldn't turn all the brakes down and go thumbless like I can with Shimanos and the Abu Revo Elite 8 I just got. It was outcasting the Revo with the same lure but the rods and line were different. If you can pick one up for cheap I say go for it. The reel is a looker for sure!
Image]

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:39 pm

Ended up biting the bullet. Got a pretty good deal on fleabay and it arrived yesterday. The reel does cast really nicely and reminds me of shimano VBS casting behavior. The external dial is more convenient though. I was throwing a 3/8 oz jig a solid 30 yds with half swing casts (trees were behind me). It casts very smoothly I must say. I want to say it has to do with the spool bearing that lews reels have but it's hard to say. Them again, shimano and daiwa both have or are moving to this design (at least on their latest reels).