Tatula line grooving (yes I know another thread)

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
BullBass
Angler
Angler

Tatula line grooving (yes I know another thread)

Post by BullBass » Tue May 26, 2015 6:38 am

First time user here but Im on the site alot and I have gone over and read pretty much all the other threads about this issue. Well after cleaning my year and a half old Tatula the other day I noticed that I have the line grooving issue! Now I will say I have noticed no ill effect from this and even used it after cleaning and was able to land 5 nice bass from the bank at the River on Monday morning. A q-tip passed along the grooves does not tear or catch. I have however ordered a few new t-wing's from Daiwa for $20 ea (ouch) so hopefully they hold up longer than this one. I will also start cleaning my Tatulas about once every half season now and see if that helps. It wasn't overly dirty when I cleaned it but it was still pretty dirty. Heres a link to TFF thread with pics.

All this being said I still love my Daiwas and Tatulas! I just hope this isnt going to be an ongoing issue.

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubb ... st10873572

BullBass
Angler
Angler

Re: Tatula line grooving (yes I know another thread)

Post by BullBass » Tue May 26, 2015 6:41 am

I have another Tatula as well that is only about a year old. Once I get that one broken down and cleaned I will report back if I have any line grooving on that one. I Forgot to mention I have only used 15lb red label seguar on the above reel since I have had it. Im using big game mono on the other.

Finesse68
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Finesse68 » Tue May 26, 2015 8:02 am

Got 65lb braid on mine, haven't seen an issue yet. Granted I don't use it as much as my other reels, it's now a dedicated A rig setup. Should buy a few 4x7x2.5mm bearings and throw one under the levelwind, and a few more in the knobs while you have it broken down. Makes them super smooth!! \:D/

BullBass
Angler
Angler

Post by BullBass » Wed May 27, 2015 3:44 am

It's already pretty smooth. I have thought about a handle upgrade though. And the reel is back together already anyways but will be getting torn back down when the new t-wing comes in. This reel got used quite a bit for bank fishing and kayak fishing. And like I said I havent had any issues with my line fraying or breaking yet but it still worries me since I know the grooves are there and its only a matter of time! I might try the bearing upgrades just for crap and giggles when I feel like it \:D/

BullBass
Angler
Angler

Post by BullBass » Wed May 27, 2015 3:47 am

Oh and for anyone that wants to know. You can swap in the 8.0:1 ratio gears out of the type R into the regular Tatula no problems. Thats actually the main reason I tore this reel down to clean it was to swap gears. Works great and I love the faster speed for my jigs!

t-Smalle
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by t-Smalle » Wed May 27, 2015 11:12 am

I have several Tatula and Type-R reels and have had them for over a year and fished them a lot with braid, fluorocarbon and co-polymer lines and have no signs of grooving on any of my reels.

jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper14 » Wed May 27, 2015 12:50 pm

I'm not really sure it is grooving made by cranking, I have a Tatula cranking reel and it has two identical grooves as the reel posted above and I have only used it on a couple of trips and I use only 12lb mono. I'm thinking it may have to do with a bad mold and only when the reels are cleaned that the grooves are noticed. I don't know how the TWS guide is handled after it is made but it looks like when they are pulled from the mold they are grabbed by possibly something mechanically, but this is my theory.

Jeff

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rippin-lips » Wed May 27, 2015 1:22 pm

Daiwa has excellent customer service. I'm sure if you would of sent a few pics and talked with someone about the issue. They would have sent you the part for free possibly.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat May 30, 2015 1:17 am

Rippin-lips wrote:Daiwa has excellent customer service. I'm sure if you would of sent a few pics and talked with someone about the issue. They would have sent you the part for free possibly.
If they had addressed this issue when it first came up, there wouldn't have been so many threads and complaints.

taylor5877
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by taylor5877 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:43 am

I've only fished my 4 with mono, and only had one with a lot of extended use. I still love the reel, but the original one I have is grooved is well.

FWIW, I've just used it. It doesn't really have an effect on performance being grooved.

I've also mainly been just able to fish my ponds with it, so I don't have to be "tournament" anal about my stuff.

BullBass
Angler
Angler

Post by BullBass » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:17 am

Kind of reviving an old thread here but just wanted to update. I believe Daiwa has secretly addressed this issue because in the Zillion TWS reel the T-wing is a bit different. It is narrower if that makes sense. I just got a type R off ebay ($58!) the guy that it something was wrong with it. But i broke it down and didn't see any issues other than it was severly under greased from the factory.

Upon cleaning the reel when I got to the T-wing I wanted to check for grooves. And sure enough it had 2! Not as bad as my others as you could barely see it but they were there. And this was a reel that looks like it was used maybe 5 times before the guy decided to sell it. No scratches and it wasnt dirty. So I went ahead and called Daiwa up and got a new T-wing and HOLY CRAP did they go up on the price for this thing! Cost me $44 with shipping. That's only $14 less than I paid for the whole reel! Not sure why they went up so much in price. When I bought these last time I want to say they were around $25 before shipping. Just a heads up that they have skyrockted the price on something they obviously know was a flawed design from the get go...

mickeyfin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mickeyfin » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:18 am

Surprised to see Daiwa actually charges for what's clearly a manufacturing defect. My tatula has only been fished a few times. No problems so far. I haven't read the other posts to know this answer but does the groove really matter in performance or just appearance?
Thanks Mick

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:50 am

Don't toss grooved TWings. They can be made better than new with a dremel or round file.

DaveJ

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:29 pm

i don't understand, i thought daiwa replaced the grooved ones for free and only charged for people that wanted a swap from ones that weren't grooved

k3fishing
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by k3fishing » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:42 am

They will replace them but you have to send them the reel. They will not send you the twing free of charge...