El Salto and Lake Picachos rod and reel combos

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Yerman
Angler
Angler

El Salto and Lake Picachos rod and reel combos

Post by Yerman » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:53 pm

Hey everyone. I am hoping to get some insight from someone that has been to Lake El Salto and/ or Lake Picachos in Mexico.

I am heading there in the middle of May and would like to make sure I am 100% ready with my rods and reels. I’m a little concerned about a couple of my setups being too light and want to make sure I address it before I head out.

Here is what is recommended from the lodge:

1. Worm / Jig Rod - 7' heavy rod
2. Spinner bait Rod - 7' Meduim-Heavy Rod
3. Lipless Crank bait rod - 6 1/2' to 7' Medium-Heavy rod
4. Top Water Rod - 6 1/2' Medium rod
5. Crank bait Rod - 7' Medium or G. Loomis Crank Bait Series Rod

LINE
We suggest 20-25 pound test lines. You can bring 17-pound test line for your crankbait setup
to get the lure down a little deeper. If you are looking for Spider Wire, we would recommend
20 to 40-pound test.

Here is what I have as it compares to their recommendations:

1. Worm / Jig Rod - Crucial CRC-70MH 7’ 10-20lb rating with a CItica 201E
2. Spinner bait Rod - Phenix Bass Recon 2 Casting Rod 7'1" - MH - 8-17lb rating with a Shimano Curado 200I
3. Lipless Crank bait rod - G.Loomis GL2 MBR 783C 6’6” - MH - 10-17lb rating with a Curado 100D
4. Top Water Rod - G. Loomis IMX MBR 782C 6’6” - M - 8-14lb rating with a Chronarch 50Mg
5. Crank bait Rod - Phenix X-10 Crankbait Rod CB704 - 7’ - 8-20lb rating with a Curado 200E5

My biggest concern is what line to run on each setup. They recommend 17-20lb on everything but my Chronarch 50Mg and Curado 100D are pretty small reels and wont hold a lot of line. Here is what I am planning on doing…

1. PowerPro 30lb
2. 20lb flouro or mono
3. ???
4. ???
5. 17lb flouro

So what do you think? Should I do spectra backing on combo 3 and 4 and run topshots of flouro or mono in 20lb? Replace these two reels before I go with 200 size reels? Just run 14lb and 17lb test on them like there were designed?

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: El Salto and Lake Picachos rod and reel combos

Post by TommyG » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:46 pm

You have good stuff. For Picachos,should be fine. El Salto has some big hard fighting Bass. They will test your tackle for sure.
Go with the strongest line you're comfy with. Make sure your drag is working 100%. Hope you tie into some "HOGS"
I'm going down there in July. Good Luck!!!!

stratos20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stratos20 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:58 pm

I went to El Salto 2 years ago. Definitely upgrade with stiff strong equipment. The first fish i caught was a 3lb fish and it pulled like a 7 lb fish back home. We had an american guide and i had a big fish break me off on a spinnerbait on 17 lb flouro and a medium heavy rod 7 foot. My guide said this would not work. I would definitely upgrade. Check you extra fishing line. my partner had a 1000 yard spool of flouro confiscated by customs in his carry on. carry a couple of meat sticks please!

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:09 am

I would not fish any Power Pro lighter than 50. For mono or FC go with 20. There are lots of flooded trees and you will want heavier line. The water is dirty so don't be scared to fish braid straight to the lure or hook. Make sure you bring spare hooks for your cranks and topwaters. Spare line is always a good idea too. I would go up one power on every rod as well.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:14 am

I have a friend who makes an annual trip to Baccarac, and has for years. He doesn't take any of his good setups, because he says, between the airport handling, and the guides loading and unloading the gear every day and night, his stuff gets nicked and dinged.
Because he does no finesse stuff while he's down there, he has a set of BPS beater rods and reels that he uses just for that trip.
And he doesn't hesitate to give a setup away to his guide, if he's had a really good trip. That makes a lot of friends.

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:17 am

I'm jealous.. have fun and good luck!

bradbellflower
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bradbellflower » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:06 am

Been there, done that several times. Agree with the opinion about not taking your best stuff. Watch the custom guys, lots of thefts go unreported. Doesn't need to be beater stuff but things do get beat up. Can't agree on the line opinions. 20 pound braid is more than enough, caught plenty with 15 pound mono and FC. You have to put heat on them from the beginning, similar to grouper in saltwater.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:56 pm

El Salto looks awesome. What is the approximate cost per person including flights and food and tips for a trip down there. A big round number will suffice, don't spend much time adding it up.

Thanks in advance,

DaveJ

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:08 am

Up a power on every rod and leave the finesse reels at home. 50# braid and 20# line the starting point.

sweden14
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by sweden14 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:06 am

I did Baccarac last March. All I will say is that travel rods made the trip MUCH easier, both for logistics and for peace of mind.

A few of the the guys I went with had done El Salto, and they spoke about very stout equipment and line due to fishing in some very gnarly trees.
Last edited by sweden14 on Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yerman
Angler
Angler

Post by Yerman » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:30 am

Thanks for all the input guys. Looks like I need to rethink a few setups for this trip. I don't want to be under-gunned.