Why

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Why

Post by mark poulson » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:04 am

I read how some of you guys and gals really get into tricking out your equipment, and I always wondered why.
Then it dawned on me.
Hard water. I live in SoCal, where I can fish 12 months of the year.
I can't imagine how hard it must be to put your fishing gear away for 3+months every year.
I know how bad my fishing addiction is, and I guess, if I lived where I could walk on water every winter, instead of fishing in it, I'd have to feed my addiction somehow, and tackle-tricking would be a natural choice.
I live 45 miles, one way, from my closest bass lake, so I'm pretty sure I spend enough in gas and upkeep to equal what some here spend on their tackle during the winter.
So, all I want to say is, I feel your pain, and enjoy reading about the ways you've figured out how to upgrade your stuff.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Why

Post by Teal101 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:08 am

I just like stuff to look nice. Yeah we get hard water, but I switch gears and chase Steel in the rivers so long as they dont freeze :lol: I also took up tying flies. It is pretty hard though to let the Bass gear set for 3+ months...

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:10 am

LOL good post. Its not easy but im so used to it by now its like second nature.. it sucks, don't get me wrong, but it is what it is..

trent_s
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by trent_s » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:19 am

JerryC wrote:LOL good post. Its not easy but im so used to it by now its like second nature.. it sucks, don't get me wrong, but it is what it is..
Like I've always said cold weather costs me more money in fishing equipment than the season does ](*,) Thank God I don't live in Canada :lol: Poor bastards

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:26 am

JerryC wrote:LOL good post. Its not easy but im so used to it by now its like second nature.. it sucks, don't get me wrong, but it is what it is..
^^^This guy here with those fancy customs like the one in his avatar cost me money. I still cannot believe you sold them :cry:

bigturtle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigturtle » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:30 am

I live in Toronto, Canada, and I have access to softwater 12 months a year. We have a power generating station nearby.
The legal and illegal access areas are a bit confusing, which have led to many people fishing in the wrong side of the property. We get pike, brown trout, rainbows, and bowfins in that area during winter.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:33 am

Poor Canadians!!

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:36 am

bigturtle wrote:I live in Toronto, Canada, and I have access to softwater 12 months a year. We have a power generating station nearby.
The legal and illegal access areas are a bit confusing, which have led to many people fishing in the wrong side of the property. We get pike, brown trout, rainbows, and bowfins in that area during winter.
My youngest went to art school for a year at Sheridan, which is just outside Toronto. I got frostbite just looking at her pictures of your winter!

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:37 am

I think its only natural to some guys. I'm into customizing cars as well and I'm sure there are guys on here that are into that too.

H8R
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by H8R » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:40 am

Bootytrain wrote:I think its only natural to some guys. I'm into customizing cars as well and I'm sure there are guys on here that are into that too.

Yup, me too! I mod everything and it started with toy cars, then real cars, then race cars... 4x4 trucks.... LOL. Reels/Rods are my cheapest hobby. lol

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:43 am

Bootytrain wrote:I think its only natural to some guys. I'm into customizing cars as well and I'm sure there are guys on here that are into that too.
:mrgreen:

It's not stock under the hood :lol:

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:46 am

Teal101 wrote:
^^^This guy here with those fancy customs like the one in his avatar cost me money. I still cannot believe you sold them :cry:
I needed to fund my wedding :crying: :crying: :crying: lol

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:48 am

H8R wrote:

Yup, me too! I mod everything and it started with toy cars, then real cars, then race cars... 4x4 trucks.... LOL. Reels/Rods are my cheapest hobby. lol
My brother and I used to be pretty hard into 4x4's. I still have an 85 Toyota that I was going to build, probably sell it and buy a bass boat now. We've both owned and built a few Toyotas. We found it cheaper and easier to do the RC crawling instead so we've sold the 1:1 rigs and went 1:10 :lol:

Bubbleboy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bubbleboy » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:49 am

bigturtle wrote:I live in Toronto, Canada, and I have access to softwater 12 months a year. We have a power generating station nearby.
It's like pins and needles waiting for the weather to cooperate to get my kayak out to hit the Pickering nuke plant. Soon enough, soon enough.

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:54 am

Haha, its been that way for every hobby of mine. Started with cars, moved to motorcycles, and now its fishing.

If i had all the money back i spent into making cars/cycles lighter & faster id have a brand new truck pulling a really nice bass boat ](*,)