my cheapest baitcast reel throws the farthest

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

my cheapest baitcast reel throws the farthest

Post by Hennessy » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:47 am

First off, I'm not going to start a debate on which company is better. Just giving my opinion in real world test.there's other attributes of a reel, but most people always wants to know which one throws the farthest. More so than which is the smoothest or which last the longest. My lews team lite is that reel. casted with 10lb floro on a nrx873. The reels I test we're the curado 100d, lews team pro, daiwa steez 103sh, revo mgx, shimano core 50mg, pflueger patriarch xt(new white model). Not the highest end reels but a variety. I'm sure it has to do with lews new braking system, it outcast my other lews reels. The steez I got to 3 on the mag brake & the shimanos with only one brake pin. As anyone that shore fishes a lot or fish co angler, distance is usually the most important factor in a reel. Just wanted to share my thoughts, hope this helps someone that's looking for a great casting reel that really outcast the competition. All reels were straight out the box, no tuning or bearing flushes

JoeyBones
Angler
Angler

Re: my cheapest baitcast reel throws the farthest

Post by JoeyBones » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:54 pm

Black helicopters shall soon swoop in to silence this heretic! Just kidding. My old Chronarch 100A outcasts my newer shimano and daiwas when bombing baits, but not when throwing weightless senkos. Each has its place.

Regards,

Bones

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:23 pm

Hennessy wrote:First off, I'm not going to start a debate on which company is better. Just giving my opinion in real world test.there's other attributes of a reel, but most people always wants to know which one throws the farthest. More so than which is the smoothest or which last the longest. My lews team lite is that reel. casted with 10lb floro on a nrx873. The reels I test we're the curado 100d, lews team pro, daiwa steez 103sh, revo mgx, shimano core 50mg, pflueger patriarch xt(new white model). Not the highest end reels but a variety. I'm sure it has to do with lews new braking system, it outcast my other lews reels. The steez I got to 3 on the mag brake & the shimanos with only one brake pin. As anyone that shore fishes a lot or fish co angler, distance is usually the most important factor in a reel. Just wanted to share my thoughts, hope this helps someone that's looking for a great casting reel that really outcast the competition. All reels were straight out the box, no tuning or bearing flushes
Comparing reels is always fun and this proved to me that just because you pay more dosen't guarantee you longer casts. Around 1999-00 I bought 4 pfluger ps1 baitcasters at bass pro shops for half price, ($50 each). Those reels would outcast almost any reel from that era. I compared them to my high end Chronarch ch100A, Curado B series and the classic Daiwa TDHI series. The pfluger beat all of them and was just as smooth as the Shimano's. The bad part was the Pflueger's didn't hold up very well to hard use and it was nearly impossible to find parts. The drags and thumb bars went bad on all of them. Honestly if I am buying a high end reel I am paying more for smoothness and reliability than casting distance.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (16.57 KiB) Viewed 3418 times

karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by karirick » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:40 pm

Markanthony404 wrote:
Hennessy wrote:First off, I'm not going to start a debate on which company is better. Just giving my opinion in real world test.there's other attributes of a reel, but most people always wants to know which one throws the farthest. More so than which is the smoothest or which last the longest. My lews team lite is that reel. casted with 10lb floro on a nrx873. The reels I test we're the curado 100d, lews team pro, daiwa steez 103sh, revo mgx, shimano core 50mg, pflueger patriarch xt(new white model). Not the highest end reels but a variety. I'm sure it has to do with lews new braking system, it outcast my other lews reels. The steez I got to 3 on the mag brake & the shimanos with only one brake pin. As anyone that shore fishes a lot or fish co angler, distance is usually the most important factor in a reel. Just wanted to share my thoughts, hope this helps someone that's looking for a great casting reel that really outcast the competition. All reels were straight out the box, no tuning or bearing flushes
Comparing reels is always fun and this proved to me that just because you pay more dosen't guarantee you longer casts. Around 1999-00 I bought 4 pfluger ps1 baitcasters at bass pro shops for half price, ($50 each). Those reels would outcast almost any reel from that era. I compared them to my high end Chronarch ch100A, Curado B series and the classic Daiwa TDHI series. The pfluger beat all of them and was just as smooth as the Shimano's. The bad part was the Pflueger's didn't hold up very well to hard use and it was nearly impossible to find parts. The drags and thumb bars went bad on all of them. Honestly if I am buying a high end reel I am paying more for smoothness and reliability than casting distance.
I'm almost certain most of TT agrees with the last sentence. I sure do. In fact I've never even thought "is this reel going to cast farther than my lesser priced" It's about overall quality, feel, construction, smoothness etc, rareness, for me at least. Sorry if I'm overstating this a bit.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:31 am

Comparing reels is always fun and this proved to me that just because you pay more dosen't guarantee you longer casts. Around 1999-00 I bought 4 pfluger ps1 baitcasters at bass pro shops for half price, ($50 each). Those reels would outcast almost any reel from that era. I compared them to my high end Chronarch ch100A, Curado B series and the classic Daiwa TDHI series. The pfluger beat all of them and was just as smooth as the Shimano's. The bad part was the Pflueger's didn't hold up very well to hard use and it was nearly impossible to find parts. The drags and thumb bars went bad on all of them. Honestly if I am buying a high end reel I am paying more for smoothness and reliability than casting distance.[/quote]

I'm almost certain most of TT agrees with the last sentence. I sure do. In fact I've never even thought "is this reel going to cast farther than my lesser priced" It's about overall quality, feel, construction, smoothness etc, rareness, for me at least. Sorry if I'm overstating this a bit.[/quote]

I have never had any problems with distance with any reel I have owned. If you have the right rod action and flex most any descent reel will perform. That said, better equipment is better, and add enjoyment.

Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hennessy » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:49 am

Any reel these days around the $200 price point should give u a certain level of smoothness & reliability.I'm just making a point that just because it cost more doesn't mean it throws farther. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has thought that.& the tatula that I played with some in the store happens to be smother than my steez, to me. I'd say if we're in a boat & topwater fishing, I'd rather have long casting than smoothness

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:09 am

I'm ususally fishing from shore and like to bomb my lures. I do think it ironic that many others (if not most) shore fishermen try for the middle of the lake or other side of the river, but when in a boat we (meaning I am guilty as well) head for the nearest shoreline to start casting. :whistle: :big grin:

I've never tried to find out which of my reels cast the furthest. I have used an older refurbishsed gold colored Carbonlite to cast a #5 Shad Rap along side a tuned and upgraded TD-Z 105H with the same lure. I was hard pressed (on water) to tell if one was casting further than the other. I have a good 4 times more money in the 105H.

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:57 pm

new2BC4bass wrote:I'm ususally fishing from shore and like to bomb my lures. I do think it ironic that many others (if not most) shore fishermen try for the middle of the lake or other side of the river, but when in a boat we (meaning I am guilty as well) head for the nearest shoreline to start casting. :whistle: :big grin:

I've never tried to find out which of my reels cast the furthest. I have used an older refurbishsed gold colored Carbonlite to cast a #5 Shad Rap along side a tuned and upgraded TD-Z 105H with the same lure. I was hard pressed (on water) to tell if one was casting further than the other. I have a good 4 times more money in the 105H.

:lol: :lol: Had a good laugh at that statement. Remember as a kid fishing from shore I used to try to cast as far into the lake or river as I could. Now fishing from a boat I try to cast as close to the shore as possible. Go figure. :lol: :lol: