Best all around Daiwa Casting Reel ?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
trent_s
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Best all around Daiwa Casting Reel ?

Post by trent_s » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:27 am

I didn't completely switch back, like I said the Zillion is staying and may be my favorite overall reel...just because of the smoothness of it, but Shimano's fit my casting style better. Can't really explain it. In close quarters I prefer the Zillion, and for casting large baits a long ways too, but if I'm casting or pitcing 1/4 finesse jigs or senkos the Shimano's just do better for me.

As far as high end spinning reels I've never tried a Daiwa, but I've tried several between $120-$170 range and always preferred the Stradics in the price range.

Good luck. I would just start slow though and not get ahead of yourself like I did and end up selling high quality new JDM's for a loss...it stung a little ](*,)

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:37 am

trent_s wrote:..... there is one Daiwa that in my humble opinion is a MUST own reel, and I just can't put down is the TD Zillion 7.1 to 1, for me the model # is TDZLN100SHLA (I'm a lefty) if you're not it's the same just without the "L" preceding the "A" on the end.
My advice would be to purchase one of those and have Ian (ebassfisher) work his magic on it.

I also have this reel, but find it to be a bit toucher than my 50th. The 50th thinks it is a Shimano. Set it and forget it. :big grin: At least it was before Ian went through it. Only got to use it a few minutes along with some other reels he did for me. I'd be awfully surprised if it wasn't still a "set and forget" reel as I have found with any reel that has been tuned that I can run them with less braking after the tune. Guess the standard will also have to visit Ian. Maybe with the 100M spool in tow just to see what it will do for a Zillion. :D

Little story about the 50th. Was at the boat ramp practicing. Guy comes up and mentioned he had a b/c, but seldom used it because he would make 3 or 4 good casts, then backlash. I increased spool tension a bit on the 50th since I run it very loose, and handed him the rod to try. About 15 minutes later he comes back and asks me "How do you backlash this thing?" Told him to loosen the spool tension. Said he already had so I told him to back off on the brakes a little. Comes back later and tells me he must have bought the wrong reel. Far as I know he never did backlash it. :laugh1:

trent_s
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by trent_s » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:49 pm

[quote="new2BC4bass "About 15 minutes later he comes back and asks me "How do you backlash this thing?" :laugh1:[/quote]

:lol: :laugh1: :-k That is the oddest question I've ever seen!!

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:30 am

Thanks everyone for all your input, great info as always. I have ruled out buying any of the Daiwa T3's, even at a big discount. I'd rather go with ether a zillion or TDZ. I'm not sure what I will buy yet. I might actually go back to Shimano for the casting reels. Something I've noticed on here it seems like Shimano reel owners are the most passionate, this speaks a lot to how good some of there products can be. Lately because of quality issues and cheaper made reels this made me want to look for other options. Well at least I have a few months before spring to decide. Maybe I'll just save up for 3 Calcutta conquest's. :big grin:

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tigerbass » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:04 pm

If you can find a TDZ Type R+ in good condition you could give it a try. A great all around reel and probably my favorite Daiwa. I believe it is 6.1 : 1 ratio. I just got a Megabass IP68 (tuned Megabass version of the Zillion platform). I should be able to try it out soon.

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:23 pm

Maybe try the new Metanium before leaving Shimano. I'm loving my XG version. Not as smooth as my Steez but does not lack power and easily outcast the Steez. Maybe it's just me but I find the Steez not the best for lures 1/2oz and heavier fishing with bigger lines. My Metanium is a really good all around reel.

As far as the T3 variants make sure you feel the Zion material first. It feels like plastic. Some people don't mind and some can't stand it. Looking at your list of heavier work horse reels that Zion material may not be for you.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:32 pm

Bass1980 wrote:Maybe try the new Metanium before leaving Shimano. I'm loving my XG version. Not as smooth as my Steez but does not lack power and easily outcast the Steez. Maybe it's just me but I find the Steez not the best for lures 1/2oz and heavier fishing with bigger lines. My Metanium is a really good all around reel.

As far as the T3 variants make sure you feel the Zion material first. It feels like plastic. Some people don't mind and some can't stand it. Looking at your list of heavier work horse reels that Zion material may not be for you.
Drop a rcs1016/1012 spool in a steez/is/tdz and it's the best all around casting daiwa.

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:50 pm

Yeah I've tried it with the RCS 1016 spool and a SV. Really nice. Was just talking about the wild stock spool. For an all around reel throwing lures as the weights he mentioned I like the Metanium over the Steez. Just my opinion.

Like I keep saying. Give me an aluminum T3 minus the hood and it is the perfect reel for me.

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:07 pm

cndbasshunter wrote:
Bass1980 wrote: Drop a rcs1016/1012 spool in a steez/is/tdz and it's the best all around casting daiwa.
The problem with all of the steez i'v seen is they are high speed reels. Since I Fish with a lot of crank baits I really need to stay with a lower ratio, between 5.2 and 5.8. 5.2 Is the perfect ratio for me. If Anyone thinks of a Daiwa in that range let me know.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:16 pm

Markanthony404 wrote:
cndbasshunter wrote:
Bass1980 wrote: Drop a rcs1016/1012 spool in a steez/is/tdz and it's the best all around casting daiwa.
The problem with all of the steez i'v seen is they are high speed reels. Since I Fish with a lot of crank baits I really need to stay with a lower ratio, between 5.2 and 5.8. 5.2 Is the perfect ratio for me. If Anyone thinks of a Daiwa in that range let me know.
TD-Z in a slower ratio :) lots of options there.

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:46 pm

New Zillion 5.5:1 ratio. I don't have one yet but I would assume it has plenty of torque for cranking and can handle the weights, up to 1oz, you are looking to use.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:58 pm

This is a fun older thread...and always good to derive from whence we came.

What say you today?
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:23 am

Today I think the best all around Daiwa would be the 21 zillion. Size, weight, cost to performance and being able to use all the oldie but goodie spools. And it's a Daiwa that's easy to get parts for and customize. All equals a winner in my book.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:57 am

ss30378 wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:23 am
Today I think the best all around Daiwa would be the 21 zillion. Size, weight, cost to performance and being able to use all the oldie but goodie spools. And it's a Daiwa that's easy to get parts for and customize. All equals a winner in my book.
Yeppers, hard to argue and disagree on your points bro.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:12 am

I also agree about the 21 Zillion. It can handle 1/4 oz to 1 oz with no issues. Has a stock 90mm handle and clicker in drag. Weighs in at 6.7 oz USDM, even lighter if you buy JDM. There are plenty of spool options. The price is great for what you get.