Daiwa Black Widow 2 upgrades?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Bassfan22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Daiwa Black Widow 2 upgrades?

Post by Bassfan22 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:46 am

Hi guys sorry for all the post lately but is cold up here in MN and I don't ice fish.

I pick up a few of this reels and I was wondering which upgrades spool, handle and drag star fit this frame. I know is not an expensive reel and maybe is not worth upgrading but I want to at least replace the handle and drag star if possible. Thanks

jtesch
Angler
Angler

Re: Daiwa Black Widow 2 upgrades?

Post by jtesch » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:07 pm

the Black widow 2 is basically a TD-Advantage but I'm not sure if it's a 153 size. most any Daiwa handle will fit. Tackle trap has the Tatula handles for under $20 and they are black. Zillion or steez or Tatula drag stars should all fit. Again Tackle trap has the Tatula stars. Either the 100 0r 103 for the Z's will fit but I'm not sure which. Great spools and if it's the 103 size it's only 40 bucks. I would just change the spool bearings and leave the stock spool.

Bassfan22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bassfan22 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:30 am

Thank you for the info. I looked everywhere and no luck. I'll ask Gary.

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:26 am

The BW 2 is an variant of the Advantage 153. Most handles will fit and as for drag stars I would assume that any of the advantage stars would work plus the aftermarkets stars along with the Zillion and Steez (if the handle is swept). As for spools you are going to be limited since this is a 153 size versus the 100 or 103 size seen in the Zillion and Steez reels. It might be possible for the Alpaha 150 spool to work plus there was a number of differnt advantage framed feels released in the AU market that should fit.