Why

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Cagey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Why

Post by Cagey » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:59 am

dragon1 wrote: - JDM gear not being made in the market/country of origin can still qualify as JDM if the design and intention of the product is/was for that market. IF, the manufacturer expands the intended market of the product to include more than let's say, Japan...then it is technically AT THAT TIME, no longer an EXCLUSIVE JDM product. This happens all the time with tons of products man, not just the fishing industry.

Thanks for the welcome and response. I would like to address one thing you said about JDM products.

It is my opinion that what made Japanese products great was their precision engineering and excellent craftsmanship.

That is what domestic Japanese products are suppose to be all about.

But when the Japanese start farming out their products to China, Malaysia, Singapore, etc., in my opinion they are now absolutely no longer a Japanese domestic product. Can't be. The Japanese earned the reputation for quality craftsmanship, not the Chinese.

So I came in here with my save money angle and just buy direct from China. Next, I was accused of trying to reach 100 posts so I could jump into the classified section and begin selling import Chinese products here. I was immediately suspected of working for the Chinese and only wanting to sell on this forum- again- rocking the boat and getting personally attacked for it and told that I just don't get what TT is all about. And at first I didn't. I had no clue, but I do now and well, I just don't post as much any more because of it.

I was even ridiculed for researching the original patents and bringing that detailed information here like it was a joke or something.

I did a post on a curado repair that went no where. No one cared because my curado reels simply were not rich enough to reach the bar level of worthy discussion. If it were about a Calcutta or some $500.00 reel then maybe someone might care, but I felt like I was wasting my time with sharing a curado reel repair issue on this forum because I exist well below the bar level for this site. And that is a sad statement. Rich only, poor need to shut up, and sit on the sidelines and just watch the rich waller in piles of gold we can never touch. But just watch and take it sort of thing. I got it.

But when the Japanese are farming out their so called JDM products for Chinese to make for them, it is no longer JDM to me. It is now Chinese but sold through Japan with huge markups and artificially inflated prices.

And I am of the opinion that if it is going to made in China anyways, then let's look at what the Chinese have to offer and save some money. And brother, I am doing it and loving it because the Chinese are stepping up to the plate and no longer just concentrating on making products for others and are now starting to develop their own brands and quality products and I can buy these for a fraction of Japanese made in China products.

My whole point was just skip the artificially inflated overpriced JDM products and go around that circus and buy direct from China. And bam! I got hit up side the head so hard it was not even funny! I was the bad guy for daring to rock the boat so let's all jump down his throat and run him out of town.

I'm done. I wish all of you all the best and hope all of you enjoy whatever rods and reels and boats you can afford.

Now let me rub it in a little bit:

I have near 80 degree sunny weather here in central Florida and I'm going bass fishing.

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:14 am

Cagey wrote:
dragon1 wrote: - JDM gear not being made in the market/country of origin can still qualify as JDM if the design and intention of the product is/was for that market. IF, the manufacturer expands the intended market of the product to include more than let's say, Japan...then it is technically AT THAT TIME, no longer an EXCLUSIVE JDM product. This happens all the time with tons of products man, not just the fishing industry.

Thanks for the welcome and response. I would like to address one thing you said about JDM products.

It is my opinion that what made Japanese products great was their precision engineering and excellent craftsmanship.

That is what domestic Japanese products are suppose to be all about.

But when the Japanese start farming out their products to China, Malaysia, Singapore, etc., in my opinion they are now absolutely no longer a Japanese domestic product. Can't be. The Japanese earned the reputation for quality craftsmanship, not the Chinese.

So I came in here with my save money angle and just buy direct from China. Next, I was accused of trying to reach 100 posts so I could jump into the classified section and begin selling import Chinese products here. I was immediately suspected of working for the Chinese and only wanting to sell on this forum- again- rocking the boat and getting personally attacked for it and told that I just don't get what TT is all about. And at first I didn't. I had no clue, but I do now and well, I just don't post as much any more because of it.

I was even ridiculed for researching the original patents and bringing that detailed information here like it was a joke or something.

I did a post on a curado repair that went no where. No one cared because my curado reels simply were not rich enough to reach the bar level of worthy discussion. If it were about a Calcutta or some $500.00 reel then maybe someone might care, but I felt like I was wasting my time with sharing a curado reel repair issue on this forum because I exist well below the bar level for this site. And that is a sad statement. Rich only, poor need to shut up, and sit on the sidelines and just watch the rich waller in piles of gold we can never touch. But just watch and take it sort of thing. I got it.

But when the Japanese are farming out their so called JDM products for Chinese to make for them, it is no longer JDM to me. It is now Chinese but sold through Japan with huge markups and artificially inflated prices.

And I am of the opinion that if it is going to made in China anyways, then let's look at what the Chinese have to offer and save some money. And brother, I am doing it and loving it because the Chinese are stepping up to the plate and no longer just concentrating on making products for others and are now starting to develop their own brands and quality products and I can buy these for a fraction of Japanese made in China products.

My whole point was just skip the artificially inflated overpriced JDM products and go around that circus and buy direct from China. And bam! I got hit up side the head so hard it was not even funny! I was the bad guy for daring to rock the boat so let's all jump down his throat and run him out of town.

I done. I wish all of you all the best and hope all of you enjoy whatever rods and reels and boats you can afford.

I have near 80 degree sunny weather here in central Florida and I'm going bass fishing.
Dude, grow up and get the chip off your shoulder !!

You sound like a teenager crying that the worlds not fair...

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:16 am

Cagey...good points dude....some extrapolations and paradigms in my mind:

- Chinese are eons old, even before the Shang Dynasty "settled the lands", eh?

- Chinese "products" have cycled in and out of "world-class" and "best in the world" many times during these eons. I suppose Marco-Polo would agree with this assessment?

- JDM, or and "DM" can be define as intended market for product AND/OR manufacturing origin of product. In the minds of most TT members, it is based upon intended market.

- There are many that agree with your opinions...just because they did not post doesn't mean these folks are not here on TT.

- You are not the only one who likes/uses/appreciates "classic" or "older/antiquated" gear. I believe I posted a reference to my continued usage and application of the Daiwa SS Tournaments (as did a couple other members) and Daiwa PT33SH on the User Review Forums. And yes, there is limited response to my input on these older items as well, granted more than your CU post. This is to be expected, I am like old furniture here on TT, and some members read my sh!t just to see since I am an "old" member. :lol:

Again, let things settle down, let us get to know one another for who we are...share, grow, discuss, even have rivalries and heated debates like siblings...but let's not forget that TT is a great forum and we need to respect each other in the end...even if we don't agree or "like" one another!

Go fishing man, and post a worthwhile pic...otherwise I will fly your @$$ out here so you can practice skipping lures on the ICE and I will learn my way to catchin' winter FL bass! Oh, and make some $$$ off the State Program! :big grin:

mikeysam
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mikeysam » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:57 am

cornmuse wrote:
mark poulson wrote:I wonder if it's in us genetically, left over from the family/clan, us vs. them thing that seems to fuel sports rivalries so fiercely?
This. Vestigial genetics.
Those red knobs just create havoc with my Arrector Pili.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:03 am

I didn't even know I had a vestigial, and I already take a pill for my Arrector condition, although seeing knobs of any color still seems to aggravate it.

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:06 am

Now i see why you don't post on the Flouro threads because all they mention is overpriced chinese Sunline, Seaguar and Toray there.

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John Puckett » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:41 am

StarTzar wrote:
IlliniDawg01 wrote:
cndbasshunter wrote:Why drive an Porsche when a civic does the same thing

Why wear a Rolex when a timex tells time fine.

Why use a Louis Vuitton when a backpack does the same thing.

Blah blah blah.

Because I can.
Indeed, but be careful not to insult those that can't...

DaveJ
.... and those that can't, should be careful as to not insult those that can.

Agreed, if it bothers you to look at pics of high end gear that you can't afford then don't come here, simple as that. I don't understand why it's the responsibility of the guy posting pics of his gear not to hurt the feelings of someone else who he doesn't even know. I can't afford that type of gear myself, I mainly fish with Citica E's and Powell Max rods. Not exactly "top shelf" gear but I like it and it gets the job done for me. I've also learned about "tuning" my gear here so that's greatly improved my Citica's. Point is I've learned a ton being a member here that has nothing to do with owning the very best of the best, things that apply to all tackle.

While I do enjoy looking at pics of other guys gear (no matter the price point) I don't think there is anything wrong with guys buying dress up parts and then wanting to show them off to other people who enjoy the same type thing.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:26 am

I don't even like fishing, I'm just so rich and have everything so I decided to blow my money on fishing gear for now.

;)

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:45 am

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:I don't even like fishing, I'm just so rich and have everything so I decided to blow my money on fishing gear for now.

;)
Last year i fished for about 4 months and only on weekends, but that doesn't stop me from buying a second 12' Talon or new fishing gear either. I work full time and attend at the Uni so time on the water is very limited till summer break.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:36 am

StarTzar wrote:
IlliniDawg01 wrote:
cndbasshunter wrote:Why drive an Porsche when a civic does the same thing

Why wear a Rolex when a timex tells time fine.

Why use a Louis Vuitton when a backpack does the same thing.

Blah blah blah.

Because I can.
Indeed, but be careful not to insult those that can't...

DaveJ
.... and those that can't, should be careful as to not insult those that can.
Agree 100%. I can only think of one person who has done so and I'm pretty sure we all know who it is.

DaveJ

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:07 am

Cagey, please don't take this the wrong way, I'm really just trying to help.

I don't think it is so much what you say, but more how you say it. Some of your posts come off kind of like you are a know it all. You obviously have a lot of knowledge and many of us find a lot of useful info in your posts and it is appreciated, just work a bit on your delivery.

I'm kinda surprised the Mudhole guys would laugh about anyone asking about a Frog Rod or Finesse Rod. They sell all kinds of blanks and their catalogs even use those terms in some places. I took their rod building class 2 summers ago and found them all to be extremely helpful and personable guys. I have had a few issues with some blanks I bought from them and they corrected the problem immediately with no cost to me. It also seems odd to me they would make fun of anyone wanting to customize their reels since their business literally depends on people wanting to make custom rods.

DaveJ
Last edited by IlliniDawg01 on Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:35 am

Before anyone jumps to conclusions regarding Mudhole, I'd be really interested in knowing Cagey's username on that forum. :big grin:

Cagey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cagey » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:33 am

I'm not on a mudhole forum and I did not say I was. No need for that. I walked in the front door of the showroom in Oviedo, Florida, and I had a blast! Mudhole is only 20 minutes away from me and I grabbed one of their new catalogs to look at some rod parts I am wanting like the new MicroWave guides.

Funny thing, not one rod in there was labeled or described as a frog rod or a finesse rod. Those are terms anyone can apply to just about any rod that they think will work for said application which is why it was funny at the time in the showroom.

I wants me a muhhhddddd-hole frog rod, and next, I wants me a muhhhdddd-hole finesse rod! Just joking around in the showroom is all it was.

Anyone remember old Vern? He's dead now, but I use to do a fairly good impression of him and I talked like Vern when askin' for a frog rod and a finesse rod. Like where in the heck was my sales person going to go to find me just such a rod? It was an impossible task for them and I knew it which is what made it so funny. They threw it back at me to pick one out myself and they would be happy to ring it up.

But in truth, I did not go to mudhole for a rod. I have the blanks I want already and was only there for rod parts like guides, thread, looking at handles, etc. I'm not about to pay those prices for an untested rod and go through all the trouble of building one only to find out down the road the blank has a flaw or something. I strip down old rods that have held up over time and loads and only those rods are rebuilt. I have a buddy in Winter Park who built rods for some bass pro's over the years and he is very, very good with custom rods and is always putting one in my hands like his newest spiral wrap with 14 guides on it- which it about 6 too many for me and he helps me complete the rods when needed.

I'll ask him next to build me a frog rod and finesse rod and see what he says about it. I am sure he will be scratching his head too. We be turnin' terminology into some jokes around these parts.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:13 am

Why didn't they understand "finesse"? They use it to describe applications for the HM-SJ781-MHX.

http://www.fishmhx.com/Pages/High-Mod.html

And why didn't they understand "frog"? They have a blank specifically for that in the standard MHX line (MB904-MHX).

http://www.fishmhx.com/Pages/Bass.html

:-k

Cagey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cagey » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:44 am

It was joking. Show room floor joking.

If that is how you buy rods then more power to you. I only buy rods by how they feel in my hands. I never let someone tell me a rod is this or that and buy it without actually having it in my hands- but there have been exceptions when I could not pass up a good deal on ebay.

Putting a description on a rod, like saying this blank would make a great frog rod is purely subjective. Anyone can say any rod is a frog rod or a finesse rod. But for me, and that is just me, there is no such thing as a frog rod or a finesse rod. They do not exist, or I should be more accurate in saying those terms have no meaning to me and don't tell me squat about a rod.

I'm already using rods that fit the requirements of a frog rod, but no one ever said any of mine were frog rods nor were they sold as such. But they work just fine for a frog rod without the label slapped on it to sell it.

And if mudhole is selling rods with those terms then hey they be looking for some TT money to be thrown their way. And if it works, next month they might have a hundred rods called frog rods if that makes them sell. I'm sure Mudhole don't care what you call it. You can call it a mouse rod if you want. What does that mean? Nothin'. Not a darn thing.

(The following is sarcastic humor to make a point)
So I wants me a mouse rod! I gotta run over to TT and ask the experts who makes a great mouse rod? And what line should I use with mice? And how should I put a hook in them for big bass? The fellers over at TT says I need to get me some mouse hooks and some good mouse line to go with it. Now I'm set for mousing! What? I need to spray paint the mice neon pink for big bass? Well now I gotta go get me some mouse paint! (joking humor only)

All BS as I see it.

For me, I have always loved to fish with ultra-lights. That is the term I grew up with and still use. I have no use and no place in my vocabulary for a finesse rod or finesse fishing. I use an ultra-light. Mere terminology is all we are dealing with here.

I have to wonder what is coming next? A turtle rod? A snake rod? If you have money and want to spend it on one I am sure someone would be happy to slap a label on it and sell you a mouse rod, a snake rod, and a turtle rod with a big ole' smile on their face as they mark up that $10.00 cheap chinese blank to $300.00 for the people who want one or two.