"Borrowed" ideas

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
H8R
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: "Borrowed" ideas

Post by H8R » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:46 am

tywithay wrote:On a reel that's designed under the assumption that most users will do very little maintenance, bearings are going to fail long before bushings. A high bearing count is in no way an indication of quality, just an indication that they're trying to capture an uneducated anglers eye. Bearing counts are for the guys that grab a display model and free spin the handle to see how "smooth" a reel is.

Indeed, very true! :mrgreen:

Cagey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cagey » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:57 am

tywithay wrote:On a reel that's designed under the assumption that most users will do very little maintenance, bearings are going to fail long before bushings. A high bearing count is in no way an indication of quality, just an indication that they're trying to capture an uneducated anglers eye. Bearing counts are for the guys that grab a display model and free spin the handle to see how "smooth" a reel is.
I agree with you on the maintenance issue, but that particular point does not apply to me and is irrelevant to me.

I suppose you won't mind if shimano pulls all of the bearings out of their reels and uses only plastic bushings everywhere since that is no indication of "quality" which was something I never mentioned. If you want shimano to save even more money on their reels while keeping those prices up there then that is you call, not mine.

So let me get this straight- the uneducated angler is not smart for having or wanting more ball bearings, while the smart angler is even smarter for having fewer or no ball bearings? Hmmmmm...

I like how smooth and easy to operate my reels are with a higher bearing count. Nothing wrong with it as I see it. I just like it and I want it and that is what I will pay for. No debate about it.

H8R
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by H8R » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:06 am

Cagey wrote:
I agree with you on the maintenance issue, but that particular point does not apply to me and is irrelevant to me.

I suppose you won't mind if shimano pulls all of the bearings out of their reels and uses only plastic bushings everywhere since that is no indication of "quality" which was something I never mentioned. If you want shimano to save even more money on their reels while keeping those prices up there then that is you call, not mine.

So let me get this straight- the uneducated angler is not smart for having or wanting more ball bearings, while the smart angler is even smarter for having fewer or no ball bearings? Hmmmmm...

I like how smooth and easy to operate my reels are with a higher bearing count. Nothing wrong with it as I see it. I just like it and I want it and that is what I will pay for. No debate about it.

LOL. Thats not even what was said, you're twisting words around. An uneducated angler is silly for thinking bearing count is the only thing involved in making a smooth reel. A smart angler knows that bearings counts in todays reels are often just for marketing and "we've got more" weiner measuring contests...

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:24 am

Unless those bearings are in handle knobs, huh? I recall some very disparaging remarks about enthusiasts who want two bearings (instead of bushings) in a handle knob. The reasoning was that the bearings made no difference in the functionality of the handle. :lol:

Cagey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cagey » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:26 am

I never said they were a sales gimmick! And I can figure out what color knobs to use without an entire thread about it! :laugh1:

H8R
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by H8R » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:29 am

Cagey wrote:I never said they were a sales gimmick! And I can figure out what color knobs to use without an entire thread about it! :laugh1:

Who did that?

Cagey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cagey » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:31 am

H8R wrote: A smart angler knows that bearings counts in todays reels are often just for marketing and "we've got more" weiner measuring contests...
Which ZPI aluminum Knobs
Postby H8R » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:12 am

So, I'm thinking about doing ZPI Aluminum knobs on my Avail STI 105MM but I see they list different sizes.. Also, should I do new bearings or should I roll with the Stock Met knob bearings? What do you guys generally use , knob wise?

---------------------------------------

Yeah... Try bushings! :laugh1:

H8R
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by H8R » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:35 am

Cagey wrote:
H8R wrote: A smart angler knows that bearings counts in todays reels are often just for marketing and "we've got more" weiner measuring contests...
Which ZPI aluminum Knobs
Postby H8R » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:12 am

So, I'm thinking about doing ZPI Aluminum knobs on my Avail STI 105MM but I see they list different sizes.. Also, should I do new bearings or should I roll with the Stock Met knob bearings? What do you guys generally use , knob wise?

---------------------------------------

Yeah... Try bushings! :laugh1:

Metanium has BEARINGS in the knobs... did I EVER mention color? I've never used the ZPI knobs, and dont know anyone who has them locally...so I want thoughts from experienced users.. That probably doesnt include you, with knock-off reels.

H8R
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by H8R » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:36 am

and the metanium wasnt purchased becasue it "has more bearings"... lol

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:36 am

I don't give a rat's a-- about two ball bearings in each handle. Not even an issue.
:laugh1:

H8R
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by H8R » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:41 am

mhood wrote:Unless those bearings are in handle knobs, huh? I recall some very disparaging remarks about enthusiasts who want two bearings (instead of bushings) in a handle knob. The reasoning was that the bearings made no difference in the functionality of the handle. :lol:

LOL :big grin:

Cagey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cagey » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:44 am

My point remains valid.

I personally do NOT spend any money on handles with bearings. Not an issue for me.

But, I do agree bearings can make it spin more freely. That is never in question, so you bringing this old comment up is irrelevant to this discussion of whether or not a bearing is for improvement or a sales gimmick.

The point is still valid.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:45 am

Bantam1 wrote:The Scorpion not coming here was not due to SVS. There was another Trade Mark that prevented its release here.

HEG- 1999 Trinidad, 2005 Curado 200D, Calais 100A

X-Ship- Similar to the competition, but the spool shaft is different. It makes the gears more efficient under a load due to less distortion. The end user feel is that the reel has more power and is smoother under a load. Most people do not understand gear efficiency...

Our firsts- Propulsion spool, One Piece Bail Wire, DC (all versions), HEG, Super Free (I think). There are some others but I am not 100% sure because I lack knowledge about the early 1900's and pre 1900's.

Most companies borrow from each other. Patents are only good for 10-15 years, and there are always loopholes or variations of the designs. I will say that the Japanese are serious about how they study a subject and develop new products. If you guys only knew some of the crazy ways they test things. There are also several different ways to achieve the same result. We will all have our own ideas on how to do it.

We may not always be first to do something, but you can believe that we will do it better ;)
Thanks for chiming in Bantam...

- Yep, HEG/over-sized gearing most likely came from SW world (with many other manufacturers of SW reels having now incorporated this design for many years, decades even)...noted already and then trickled down to FW. On FW bass reels, the Morrum IVCB likely preceded the CL 100A, and maybe the Antares AR. I owned both the Morrum IVCB 3600 and CL 100A most immediately when both reels became available, and I distinctly recall having access to purchase the Morrum IVCB prior to the CL 100A. Overseas, I don't know which one was developed and brought to market first.

- Shimano's X-Ship and Super Free design has properties and design cues that are similar to both that of Daiwa's and Abu's Ultra Cast design. Here is a good read on Ultra Cast and ADS (from a very respected and knowledgeable contributor on BFHP): http://www.wmi.org/bassfish/bassboard/R ... e_id=40083

- DC, digitally controlled magnetic braking. Advancement on magnetic braking, but not the first to bring to market for the BIG THREE. This one is fun because so many hard-core, Shimano-only users have advocated the superiority of centrifugal braking vs mag...but the one of the most "advanced braking systems" offered by Shimano to date is...?

- One piece bail wire, likely with Stella for FW, no? Granted some older high-end Daiwas had this design as well, so it would be interesting to timeline this.

- Shimano's Super Free reminds me a lot of combining Daiwa's and Abu's together again.

To reiterate, NOTHING is NEW, per se - and ROG has de-mystified these beliefs for us over and over again. For the sake of being relative on this thread however, we are speaking of modern day reels, from current FW manufacturers that are still viable and more importantly - recognized as the leaders in our industry.

In alphabetical order as to not singe any @rse hairs: :P

Abu, Daiwa, Shimano

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:51 am

Cagey wrote:My point remains valid.

I personally do NOT spend any money on handles with bearings. Not an issue for me.

But, I do agree bearings can make it spin more freely. That is never in question, so you bringing this old comment up is irrelevant to this discussion of whether or not a bearing is for improvement or a sales gimmick.

The point is still valid.
Brass bushings and sleeves have been known and coveted in SW reels for years for their simplicity and overall durability. This said, this design is not as smooth as "modern bearings". There is a reason why a reel like the SS Tournament Daiwas and original CTs...both with what, three bearings, continue to sell, be used and still be viable today as 30 years ago.

And yes, bearings can be marketing in some of the cheaper reels with high counts...but in top end reels from Shimano and Daiwa, the quality of the bearings will indeed contribute to a smoother reel AND will bring up cost.

Two edged sword, eh?

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:54 am

dragon1 wrote:Two edged sword, eh?
Precisely! :lol: