Why doesn't Daiwa face the TWS grooving issue?(with pics)

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Why doesn't Daiwa face the TWS grooving issue?(with pics

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:15 am

Bassmar wrote:
IlliniDawg01 wrote:
2point0 wrote:Some questions keep bugging me.

Why does Shimano use black material (SIC?) and Daiwa some sort of metal for their line guide?

Antares, Metanium and even an almost 9 year old Citica = black Lineguide
Daiwa Z, Ryoga, Tatula, Zillion = shiny metal

Maybe the black material Shimano uses is more durable and solves the problem?
If the Shimano guides are indeed all ceramic then they will last better. I believe any decent ceramic is still significantly harder than any metal, regardless of the coating.

DaveJ
For this reason the line guide inserts are ceramic. It would make sense to use the same material in a reels line guide. Or not? :doh:
I would think a good quality Ceramic would be a better choice, but I have no idea how hard it is to make different shapes with ceramics, let alone a complicated shape like the TWing. A ceramic insert in that edge would probably be pretty doable for them but certainly would cost more.

DaveJ

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:24 pm

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
Bassmar wrote:
IlliniDawg01 wrote:

Why does Shimano use black material (SIC?) and Daiwa some sort of metal for their line guide?

If the Shimano guides are indeed all ceramic then they will last better. I believe any decent ceramic is still significantly harder than any metal, regardless of the coating.

DaveJ
For this reason the line guide inserts are ceramic. It would make sense to use the same material in a reels line guide. Or not? :doh:
I would think a good quality Ceramic would be a better choice, but I have no idea how hard it is to make different shapes with ceramics, let alone a complicated shape like the TWing. A ceramic insert in that edge would probably be pretty doable for them but certainly would cost more.

DaveJ
And it might not be as groovy. :lol:

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:31 pm

No black line guide on my shimano reels.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:33 pm

Ceramic line guides go back a long ways...decades, for lots of different manufacturers. Gold or titanium coated aluminum/metal line guides are plenty enough durable...in this case with the TWS, the grooving is caused by certain tension line angles on the TWS metal line guide.

But yes, I have stated all along that a "basic" hardloy is all that would be required. While ceramic is not as impact resistant as metal, the cost of the hardloy itself is not likely the reason, rather the "forming" of the TWS in ceramic form "might be". Granted Daiwa could glue in a ceramic insert to fit inside the TWS (which would still affect cost).

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:22 pm

dragon1 wrote:Ceramic line guides go back a long ways...decades, for lots of different manufacturers. Gold or titanium coated aluminum/metal line guides are plenty enough durable...in this case with the TWS, the grooving is caused by certain tension line angles on the TWS metal line guide.

But yes, I have stated all along that a "basic" hardloy is all that would be required. While ceramic is not as impact resistant as metal, the cost of the hardloy itself is not likely the reason, rather the "forming" of the TWS in ceramic form "might be". Granted Daiwa could glue in a ceramic insert to fit inside the TWS (which would still affect cost).
Or they could just adopt Oleg's fix, and eliminate the line tension problem completely.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:26 pm

mark poulson wrote:
dragon1 wrote:Ceramic line guides go back a long ways...decades, for lots of different manufacturers. Gold or titanium coated aluminum/metal line guides are plenty enough durable...in this case with the TWS, the grooving is caused by certain tension line angles on the TWS metal line guide.

Or they could just adopt Oleg's fix, and eliminate the line tension problem completely.

Yeah, I would vote for this. Simple, and actually uses less metal. Would have saved Daiwa money...

DaveJ

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:33 am

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
mark poulson wrote:

Yeah, I would vote for this. Simple, and actually uses less metal. Would have saved Daiwa money...

DaveJ
And pay Oleg a handsome reward! :big grin: A new TOP-END Daiwa reel annually for life? :drool:

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:51 am

dragon1 wrote:
IlliniDawg01 wrote:
mark poulson wrote:

DaveJ
And pay Oleg a handsome reward! :big grin: A new TOP-END Daiwa reel annually for life? :drool:
I like how you think!

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:56 am

Now, now Oleg, don't get greedy. If the good folks at Daiwa only give you one every two months, for life, just bite the bullet and suffer in silence. ;)

slicksouthpaw
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by slicksouthpaw » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:39 pm

watch daiwa steal olegs idea :lol: :lol: :laugh1:

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:06 pm

slicksouthpaw wrote:watch daiwa steal olegs idea :lol: :lol: :laugh1:
I'm sure it would just be a case of parallel evolution. ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

AndZ
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by AndZ » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:49 pm

OK, checked my Tatula Type-R reels last evening. I own 2, used last season for tournament fishing with 30 lbs. FX1 Sunline braided, mostly... and some 12 lbs. fluorocarbon recently.

Guess what? I too noticed 2 grooves on one of my Tatula's TWS. Right on the edge. In weekend I'm gonna break it down and take some macro pictures of that thing. Already sent mails to my JDM tackle provider to look for the spare parts... hopefully I will solve the issue if the Daiwa has indeed released a redesigned line guide for the Tatula series.

The (old) part costs on SL Planets 3,800 JPY, almost 28 euro a piece at the current exchange rate. There goes 56 euro + shipping for 2 reels. Both were bought new in box from an ebay tackle shop.

I always fill my spools to the top and I guess that's the cause of grooving. A buddy of mine has one Tatula that doesn't exhibit any sign of wear on the edge of the TWS line guide. He also does fill the spool 2 or 3 mm lower than me... or even more. I guess I will under fill my Tatula from now on.

I still don't find it very comforting to see the problem after only one season (maybe 12 days of tournament fishing out of each I used the tatulas randomly, since I've got more combos in the boat).

I will come back with pictures after the weekend, depending on my spare time.

I will also write an article on my personal blog on www.abrevis.ro/blog

A complete review of the Tatula Type-R. Right now I'm quite mad... I got them for heavy duty fishing and I want to know I can depend on my reels during tough tournaments - we compete for best 5 pikes, where length is measured. So I don't want to loose any of the over 90 cm pike I might be catching during any given tournament.

I was thinking of the new Morethan PE SV. I guess I'll put it on hold.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:26 pm

If you end up buying new guides, get the new Zillion guide instead of the Tatula. It has been tweaked to put less angle on the line.

DaveJ

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:45 pm

IlliniDawg01 wrote:If you end up buying new guides, get the new Zillion guide instead of the Tatula. It has been tweaked to put less angle on the line.

DaveJ
Does Daiwa offer free replacments for grooved parts? It seems like the smart thing to do.

AndZ
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by AndZ » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:11 am

Thanks for the info. I already contacted Toby, my JDM tackle provider and Daiwa Japan. I just need a solution for the reels. Last night I was thinking to selling them. But they cast so well. Instead, I'll try to minimize losses, order the parts (and wait for the first reports on the new Zillion TWS range to see if the new Morethan PE SV is OK).

I think the only viable solution is NOT over filling the spools with line, like I did last year. On the other hand, I don't like under filling them either. Because I lose distance and ease of casting. Especially with heavy line, when the amount of line on the spools tends to decrease faster than with lighter lines.

Tonight I will check my other Tatula with the magnifying glass, under the light. Would be nice for Daiwa to offer free spare parts for the affected reels. But for people living outside the U.S. or Japan, I don't know what's the policy. Only the shipping charges of sending the reels for servicing and having them returned would equal if not exceed the price of parts. I don't know... I'm waiting for a reply first then I'll make a decision.

I wonder where's the fault: how much on Daiwa' side and how much on users'. If the grooves don't EVER happen on the reels correctly filled with line, then it's my fault, at least in part. Because Daiwa should have tested the prototypes longer before releasing the products on the market.