Problem with Daiwa Steez magnetic brake adjusting knob

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
slayer_85
Angler
Angler

Problem with Daiwa Steez magnetic brake adjusting knob

Post by slayer_85 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:46 pm

Hi guys, I've got a problem with a Daiwa Steez: when I turn up the magnetical brake to higher numbers (9-10) sometimes it lose the micro-click and doesn't stop on 0.5 preset positions, a few times it started to rotate itself up to position 10 (fortunately this only happened two or three times). ](*,)

To fix it when I'm fishing, I have to rotate it to 0 and then rise to my desired braking position, but this system does not always work.

Has anyone had a similar problem with Daiwa braking system? Do you know how to disassemble magnetic brake and adjusting knob? I think it could be a problem of the brake click spring, but I don't know how to take it apart-

Here's the schematic:
http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schemati ... 100HLA.pdf

Thanks!

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Re: Problem with Daiwa Steez magnetic brake adjusting knob

Post by mark poulson » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:05 am

Call Daiwa. That sounds like a problem they would be able to help you with.

(562) 375-6800

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:59 pm

I have a similar problem with one of my Steezes

slayer_85
Angler
Angler

Post by slayer_85 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:00 pm

Thanks Mark, I can't call Daiwa because I'm in Italy and the reel was bought in Japan (so it's not covered by warranty in my country). Moreover here they have just an importer, they would not be able to tell me how solve the problem.

Froteur, let's see if someone knows how to fix it.. ;)

slayer_85
Angler
Angler

Post by slayer_85 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:47 pm

froteur wrote:I have a similar problem with one of my Steezes

Hi, maybe I fix it, but I'm not 100% sure if it's a coincidence and if it should be fine forever. If you want to try we could know if it's the solution: after removing the magnetic brake side plate, screw the "side plate screw" keeping it pushed. After screwing it for 3-4 turns, reassemble the side plate on the reel.
If it works, the "side plate screw" was simply unscrewed from its retainer, so it doesn't kept the "brake click spring" pressed in correct working position.

Mine now seems to work perfectly: the sound of the micro-click is much stronger and the passage from one braking position to another is more reliable. Let me know if it works for you ;)

PCSnooker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PCSnooker » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:00 pm

I have the same problem with my zillion coastal. Interested to see what the fix is.

slayer_85
Angler
Angler

Post by slayer_85 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:15 pm

PCSnooker wrote:I have the same problem with my zillion coastal. Interested to see what the fix is.
Try this:
slayer_85 wrote: after removing the magnetic brake side plate, screw the "side plate screw" keeping it pushed. After screwing it for 3-4 turns, reassemble the side plate on the reel.
Let me know if it works ;)