curado I vs curado e

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
NorthernStrain
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

curado I vs curado e

Post by NorthernStrain » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:08 am

Is it just me or does the curado I not cast lighter, more wind resistant lures as well as the curado e? Don't get me wrong they can both sling anything 3/8 and up a good ways. But when it comes to lighter baits or casting into the wind it seems much more effortless for the e. Maybe I just have to play with brakes more. I was wondering if anyone else feels this way too.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: curado I vs curado e

Post by Afrayedknot » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:13 am

That's how I feel too.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:35 am

I guess it would depend on what your brake settings are. There is a big difference in spool weights, but I've found that with the right rod, the I is usable down to 1\8th

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:56 am

Afrayedknot wrote:That's how I feel too.
Me three! :(

Kurt

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by falcon » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:37 pm

Not a fan of the new brake system at all. I tried a curado I for a while and won't own another one. I just hope shimano doesn't doesn't go all in with the new brake system.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:43 pm

Hmmm, these replies are surprising. I like my Curado I more than my E series reels by a wide margin. More comfortable to palm, casts way farther, and is a lot smoother than the E. the brake system takes a little getting used to but once dialed in it can't be beat. I haven't thrown light baits on mine much but when comparing casting a frog its not even close. Lightest i have thrown is a 1/4oz Xrap 08 and it casts those better than the E. Get those brakes dialed in and I think you will really like it.

metanium
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by metanium » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:51 am

I prefer the I. It does have a slightly steeper learning curve, as you can't just set 2 "on" and go like on previous models. However, I feel I can get the I dialed-in to require very little casting effort and to cast down to 1/8-oz.

One thing that made a fairly significant difference was applying some of the ultra-light Alchemy Oil to the surface of the brake drum.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:13 am

i really wanted to get one at one point but time after time people are having issues with the "tinkering" of the braking system. if it takes that much time to get used to it then forget it cause i don't feel like messing it everytime i change a lure...just not worth the time and effort when i can just use a e, tourney pro or tatula...just my thoughts in general

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by falcon » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:17 am

The I abandoned what shimano was known for for years. Ease of use with the set it and forget braking. The I no matter what I did I very underwhelmed. It lead me to try a tatula and the tatula continues to impress me a great deal. I never owned a daiwa in my life before this summer.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:37 am

The I series is still a set it and forget it reel, only difference is the external dial that allows you to fine tune it even further. I wish my 51e's had that dial, I feel with 1 brake on its still to much. This where the new brake system shines, turn 1 brake on and depending on wind adjust dial from 1-3 and good to go, never have to adjust the internal brakes. Sounds like most that didn't like them never gave them much of a chance. My Chronarch Ci4s weren't the greatest casters either when I first got them, but within a few weeks they were casting farther than anything else I owned. Also, all my SVS reels cast better when I don't clean the brake pipe for a while. As soon as I clean it, I have to turn brake dial up quite a bit to avoid backlash because it gets a little wild.

87tpita
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by 87tpita » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:46 am

I personally feel the I throws lighter baits much more easily than the e... I will say that I miss the ability to set my brakes with 2 on and then just screw with the spool tension for any lure or free spool for pitching..... if I change a lure on the 201I I have to change my settings to fit but once dialed in for the weight and wind resistance it throws much smoother and further than my e. also the I palms much better(imo) than the e.... im a fan of the e's ergonomics but the I reminds me much more of my 51e in hand..

Eric Walsh
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Eric Walsh » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:49 am

I have almost every Shimano caster from the last (3) decades and I feel the latest braking system is their best effort
to date. My son and I were fishing the CI4+ and the 13 Metanium and we could not believe the distance we were getting
throwing weightless plastics. We still use and like our E's and D's, but the new platforms are really something special imo.
I think more time on the water may be the solution to those having issues, because I feel it's almost an entirely different
breaking system.

NorthernStrain
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NorthernStrain » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:01 am

Don't get me wrong, I think the I is a fantastic reel. From what I'm seeing here I should give it a little more time and effort to figure out the breaking system. I got the reel in the spring but really haven't used it enough to give it a fair shot. Time to spool it up and hit the water I suppose!

stratos20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stratos20 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:57 am

I have own and love both reels, but there is something about that Green E!

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:04 am

for the new curado i a good cleaning and lube job really helps.