Question: Finesse casting vs pitching

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Question: Finesse casting vs pitching

Post by Pen3 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:40 pm

Good thing my used PX68 came with an orange RC-301 spool.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:28 pm

WoodT wrote:Before you spend any money at all, think about how light you will ever throw, realistically. ...

The best benefit I have found with very good finesse spools are when they can handle heavier-ish baits. Then you can handle lighter stuff as well as non-aerodynamic heavier stuff. So i suggest getting a spool you feel is reasonably robust if you are going the finesse route.

Just keep in mind that hundreds of bucks you might sink into a finesse baitcasting platform will likely be out fished by the 10 year old kid on the dock with a 30 dollar UL spinning setup. ...

If you had 200 bucks or so and wanted to have a world class finesse reel that also handles most typical bass baits, I suggest picking up a curado 50e and a Yumeya spool to go with it. It can handle about anything that any of my "better" finesse reels can and it can also handle heavier things I throw 98 percent of the time.
Well said.

I bought, but have not yet put line on, that Yumeya spool. I have wondered what kind of stress it could take. I'm considering 12 lb. SX1 braid, which breaks at around 14 lbs. with a good knot. Do you think the spool would deform at the 50E's maximum (10 lbs.) drag?

Martin Lo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Martin Lo » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:39 pm

Have to agree with the fellas, there's little finesse baits a Sienna 1000 and a 7' 2-6lb can cast.
Here are the reasons I use a BFS setup.

1. Light bait/Heavy line: >6# FC small spin reels become a pain.
BFS rigs I'm happy right up to 14lb casting 2.75" trailer on 1/16jig.

2. Short pitches & casts: I found it more accurate to pitch with BFS and gentler landings. I found it easier to cast fast and low then tip up the rod and slow the spool than feather a spin reel.

3. Rapid bank work: say small 50mm stickbaits worked 10' then burned in, a BFS setup with a fast reel helps me cover more water.

4. Fighting in structure. Given that line stretch is a percentage of line casted out I use a lot more drag in the beginning than when the fish is close. Casting reels can adjust quicker and the thumb is handy for the initial pump and wind.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:10 pm

Thanks for all the informative replies guys! Looks like there are several reasons to eventually go with a BFS setup and leave the spinning rod to inline trout spinners.

Where can I get a Yumeya spool and how much is reasonable to pay for one? Also, I have seen that some of the lightweight spools fit the Curado 201 as well, will that reel do as good a job as a 51 throwing the really light stuff? Thanks!

Martin Lo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Martin Lo » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:17 pm

adam lancia wrote:Thanks for all the informative replies guys! Looks like there are several reasons to eventually go with a BFS setup and leave the spinning rod to inline trout spinners.

Where can I get a Yumeya spool and how much is reasonable to pay for one? Also, I have seen that some of the lightweight spools fit the Curado 201 as well, will that reel do as good a job as a 51 throwing the really light stuff? Thanks!
I'd go for the hedgehog studio spools. They have a light 4 brake SVS.

The 51 is lighter and has shallower spools. I don't see the point of having bigger or heavier reels than necessary with BFS. Saying that, the difference between say 5,6,7 oz is minimal...more bragging rights of companies struggling to differentiate themselves.

For me, 2014 has been the year if the spin, started to use them seriously from the end of last year and it's great to have more options to complement my casting setups!

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:56 am

That makes sense to me, thanks Martin. I'm coming from only having spinning reel setups to complimenting them with casting reel setups. Last time I was out, there were a few times where I threw a light lure with a spinning rod but wasn't able to control the cast very well. I either overshot or completely missed my targets so I'm going that with some practice and a casting reel, I'll be able to make that happen. For the record, I have practiced a ton with a spinning reel and just can't get the hang of feathering the line coming off a spinning reel.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:35 am

I haven't used spinning reels much in the last few years, but when I did I would just use the back side of my pointer/index finger of the hand holding the rod for feathering purposes. Seemed to work pretty good unless you have a painful hang nail at the time.

DaveJ

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:42 am

I'll give that a try next time I'm out Dave, thanks.

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:59 am

Bronzeye wrote:
Well said.

I bought, but have not yet put line on, that Yumeya spool. I have wondered what kind of stress it could take. I'm considering 12 lb. SX1 braid, which breaks at around 14 lbs. with a good knot. Do you think the spool would deform at the 50E's maximum (10 lbs.) drag?
I have two Yumeya spools...one on my Chronarch D, one on my Core 50. I don't use either as a primary finesse rig. I've put them both through everything short of flipping on heavy braid (I really don't do that anyways) and my Chronarch D has often been used for heavy jigs in cover. Right now I use it for .5 oz weightless Ikas with a 4/0 flipping hook and I will throw that into anything I see..grass, wood, whatever. I also caught a large heron once with it, but that was an accident. :lol:

I haven't seen anything to indicate weakness in them. I almost always use 20 lb braid and a 20 lb leader, but that's habit and has nothing to do with reservations I have with the spool. They are extremely manageable...definitely the friendliest spools I have outside of my DCs and Calais. They will put lures way downrange.

Spool it up and you will have a pitching/casting monster that can also handle the light stuff as well as most anything out there.