Question: Finesse casting vs pitching

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Question: Finesse casting vs pitching

Post by adam lancia » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:37 am

Something I was wondering about is the difference between a pitching reel and a finesse casting reel. From what I have been reading, both generally use a shallow spool, are easy to cast accurately and don't hold a lot of line. Plus they're way out of my price range :lol: My question is: does a good pitching reel make a good finesse reel as well and vice versa? And say for arguments sake that is true, would the preferred rod then differ wildly between the two techniques? Finally, is it possible to use a fairly standard reel (7.3:1 Tatula) in either or both of those roles without throwing a ton of money at it? I have spinning gear I can and do use for lighter lures, this is all more for my own education than anything else.

Thanks in advance!

Thor
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Question: Finesse casting vs pitching

Post by Thor » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:00 am

It's all about your expectations. I have used dozens of baitcasting reels for ultralight fishing, long before the BFS craze. Most were high end, some not so much. The majority did the job with serious compromises.

Will a Tatula pitch? Yes, of course. Can you use it for finesse applications? Yes. Is it the best for either? Probably not.

Since the vast bulk of my casting would be classified as finesse, the best I have found is the Aldebaran. Why? The variety of aftermarket spools and braking systems is the biggest factor. 4 pound test, 1/16 ounce lures, no problem. It is a low profile reel, for those that prefer round reels, look at the Conquest 50/50S or the new version 100, that is nearly as small as the old 50. If it must be Daiwa, the old Pixy and Presso are decent choices but aftermarket spools are impossible to find. Another alternative, a bit less refined, is the ABU LTX. Some spool options make it very workable for finesse.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:23 am

Thanks for the reply Thor. Considering I don't have any expectations (or money!) at this point, I'm mostly trying to get a grasp on what I have been reading lately. Regarding the Tatula, I have one on the way is why I asked, and I haven't developed any brand loyalty with reels from BPS, Abu Garcia, Shimano, Daiwa, Rapala and Quantum all on rods that I use regularly. I can't see me not purchasing a product simply because it's not made by *my* brand, unless I ever get sponsored in which fortunate case I won't have to purchase much of anything. Fat chance of that though...

By the sounds of things, I need to work some overtime, buy some light line and refine my ability to cast. By that time I should be ready to make an investment. Thanks!

Martin Lo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Martin Lo » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:22 am

And everything that Thor mentioned has a budget options that casts just as well given the right spools and clean bearings.

Aldebaran: Scorpion 1000xt, CU50E, CH50E

LTX: Revo LT

Look on avail.co.jp

Under web shop there is quite a large list of shallow spools for Abu & Shimano.

The rod plays a huge plays a huge part as well.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:44 am

I've noticed that as well, there's a number of options with a bespoke number of overtime hours for me to attain them LOL. That being said, I saw all the shallow spool options and it looks like I need to either dedicate the Tatula to using a shallow spool (JDM spool is the only version available at this point), or find an inexpensive lefty with a shallow spool option (I can't retrieve righty for the life of me!). I am going to be using the Tatula as my top water reel though. How far back in the Curado and Chronarch lines can one go in the 51 size without getting into obsolescence/more trouble than they're worth...? Thanks!

Martin Lo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Martin Lo » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:04 am

The E series has a large selection of spools.
...saying that, there's not a thing wrong with a spin reel if you wish to do finesse in a pinch.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:58 am

Time to setup a few Ebay searches and keep my eyes peeled on the boards for some deals I guess then, eh?

Btw, avail.co.jp took me to a redirect page...

Martin Lo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Martin Lo » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:37 am

Sorry avail.jp

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:45 am

Look on global.rakuten.com or hedgehog studios

You can get spools for great prices on rakuten

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:58 am

Thanks for the links guys, time to do some research!

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:31 am

Would a Daiwa TD-S be a decent reel to start with for finesse/light weight lures once an lightweight, shallow spool is installed?

Martin Lo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Martin Lo » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:49 pm

adam lancia wrote:Would a Daiwa TD-S be a decent reel to start with for finesse/light weight lures once an lightweight, shallow spool is installed?
I love daiwas but I found upgrade paths to daiwa expensive and hard to find. In many ways Revos too.
This is a huge reason for me is the ability to have BAfS reels ready on call. For me it takes 10 days at any given time using the Shimano, Hedgehog and KTF route

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:56 pm

adam lancia wrote:Would a Daiwa TD-S be a decent reel to start with for finesse/light weight lures once an lightweight, shallow spool is installed?
If my SV1000 spool ever comes in I will let everyone know how it works in my TDS. I love the way the TDS palms, just wish was about 2.5 oz lighter, especially for finesse applications. Somehow in the last year my magnet adjustment seems to have inverted (10 least, 1 most). I can't wrap my head around how that is possible.

DaveJ

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:17 pm

The TD-S can and has worked for many. Find you a 105 size spool and it will work well. Might want to upgrade the drag for pitching but still a contender in this roll. Try looking on Ichiban Tackle for a used Pixy or Alpha both are good reels for flipping, pitching and finesse.

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:28 pm

Before you spend any money at all, think about how light you will ever throw, realistically. A 1/16 oz jig head is not 1/16 oz once a lure is on. And then that 1/16 oz lure becomes 1/12 oz or more pretty quickly with the lure on before it gets wet and then heavier. And using that kind of lure usually stinks with anything more than a 3 mph headwind even with a 6-800 dollar finesse reel with components. Some people (like me) spend a lot of money to tune out a real for bragging rights catching yard bass. It doesn't translate well to actual fishing conditions, other than crushing the sunnie population, and if it's windy, that lure might come back and hook your face. :lol:

The best benefit I have found with very good finesse spools are when they can handle heavier-ish baits. Then you can handle lighter stuff as well as non-aerodynamic heavier stuff. So i suggest getting a spool you feel is reasonably robust if you are going the finesse route.

Just keep in mind that hundreds of bucks you might sink into a finesse baitcasting platform will likely be out fished by the 10 year old kid on the dock with a 30 dollar UL spinning setup. I wish I had . :lol: Damn kids.

If you had 200 bucks or so and wanted to have a world class finesse reel that also handles most typical bass baits, I suggest picking up a curado 50e and a Yumeya spool to go with it. It can handle about anything that any of my "better" finesse reels can and it can also handle heavier things I throw 98 percent of the time.