Saltwater durability: Calais DC or Exsence DC

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
jrk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Saltwater durability: Calais DC or Exsence DC

Post by jrk » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:09 pm

Is there anything about the build of these two reels that would suggest one would be better suited for inshore/wading light surf than the other?
Paranoia has kept my Calais freshwater bound, but if if they are both equal in salt durability, that'd save me some money to put towards a new NRX.

I'm not even sure of where and how to buy a Exsence DC anyway.

Thanks for the help

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Saltwater durability: Calais DC or Exsence DC

Post by tywithay » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:43 pm

As far as wading, the ultra tight tolerances of the Calais can be a detriment. If you get even a minute amount of sand in there, it can really booger things up.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:41 pm

jrk wrote:Is there anything about the build of these two reels that would suggest one would be better suited for inshore/wading light surf than the other?
Paranoia has kept my Calais freshwater bound, but if if they are both equal in salt durability, that'd save me some money to put towards a new NRX.

Thanks for the help
I saw an exsence on ebay yesterday for a decent price I think. I have bought a used tdz from the seller and the experience was good.

DaveJ

hobobob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by hobobob » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:38 am

Exsence DC is design for saltwater sea bass, so it's ok for saltwater, but I am not sure about the wading part. If you are not dunking the reel and service the reel often as needed, you should be fine. Usually, the pinion bearing and the knob bearings are the 1st ones to go if neglected. Given time, saltwater will eat away anything, the more complicated the reels is, the more likely for it to break down.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:39 am

The exsence was made/marketed for saltwater, so that'd be my choice.
Check marunouchi, best prices I've found. Just send an email inquiring about it & he'll sort ya out if he has any in stock.

*side note- when searching for jdm sites/ gear, use Google chrome. It'll pull more options up + translate

Martin Lo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Martin Lo » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:44 pm

jrk wrote:Is there anything about the build of these two reels that would suggest one would be better suited for inshore/wading light surf than the other?

Thanks for the help
If the reel is dunked...I don't think all the copper contacts are waterproof. I don't think either were made for wading.
That said the Exsence has some seriously tough paint and hard anodizing on the front cover. I'd take that.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:00 pm

Martin Lo wrote:

Thanks for the help
If the reel is dunked...I don't think all the copper contacts are waterproof. I don't think either were made for wading.
That said the Exsence has some seriously tough paint and hard anodizing on the front cover. I'd take that.
I believe the DC unit is fully sealed.

Martin Lo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Martin Lo » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:20 pm

tywithay wrote:
Martin Lo wrote:

Thanks for the help
I believe the DC unit is fully sealed.
Almost. I wouldn't dunk it however.