new curado 1 on the way , brake setting help?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
tnt2671
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

new curado 1 on the way , brake setting help?

Post by tnt2671 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:05 pm

hi all , i ordered a curado 1 and i was looking for some experienced input on brake settings and a good starting point, quick background i am an experience baitcast user but i have only ever owned and used diawas and am very familiar with brake setup on them and most people i know end up with very close settings on the diawas as there seems to be a pretty common sweet spot on them. I have never used or played around with shimanos newer systems. the reels going to be setup on a kislter helium 3 LMH and probably spooled w/ 12 lb suffix elite mono. I usually throw from 3/8's to 3/4 oz tackle. thanks in advance!

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: new curado 1 on the way , brake setting help?

Post by Bootytrain » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:14 pm

It should come with 2 of the 4 brake shoes in the on position. Since you aren't familiar with Shimanos centrifugal brake systems you could leave it with 2 on and maybe take the external dial up to 6 and start there and slowly back it off. Once you get comfortable you can dial it down to 1 brake shoe on and get some serious distance with great casting lures like lipless cranks etc. I always set my spool tension knob to allow a slow fall of the lure, and if I notice theres no crowning at all during the cast, I know I can get a little more distance by loosening it up a little and still get backlash free casts. Enjoy your new reel :big grin:

LPFC
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by LPFC » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:42 am

I use the same weight lures and i keep 2 brake shoes on and the dial on 3. Then i usually never have to add anymore brake shoes. I will adjust the dial for lure weight and wind. Normally the adjustments are down to 2 or up to 4. The curado I isnt a reel that backlashes easy

Crappielimits
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Crappielimits » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:59 pm

LPFC wrote:I use the same weight lures and i keep 2 brake shoes on and the dial on 3. Then i usually never have to add anymore brake shoes. I will adjust the dial for lure weight and wind. Normally the adjustments are down to 2 or up to 4. The curado I isnt a reel that backlashes easy
Exactly, as I would put. The only time I back lashed mine was when the line popped from being worn on a hard cast. I run mine with two shoes and on 2 or 3. The hardest to backlash of any non-DC reel I have ever used.

brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by brownhl » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:46 am

Be careful when you open your reel that you do not spin the cover around, which could hit and chip the finish on the main body. It isn't all that delicate, but those complaining about chipped paint on the main body have usually done it themselves by swinging the cover around. I recommend that you apply a tiny touch of oil to the two brake shoes and they won't chatter when you cast. Of course your reel instruction will tell you to use your Shimano oil to do this. I also recommend that you soak your two spool bearings and re-oil with a good bearing oil. As usual, Shimano has excessive oil in the spool bearings when shipped, and it is oil, not grease. I just finished doing this to mine and oh boy, is it smooth.

LPFC
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by LPFC » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:16 am

brownhl wrote:Be careful when you open your reel that you do not spin the cover around, which could hit and chip the finish on the main body. It isn't all that delicate, but those complaining about chipped paint on the main body have usually done it themselves by swinging the cover around. I recommend that you apply a tiny touch of oil to the two brake shoes and they won't chatter when you cast. Of course your reel instruction will tell you to use your Shimano oil to do this. I also recommend that you soak your two spool bearings and re-oil with a good bearing oil. As usual, Shimano has excessive oil in the spool bearings when shipped, and it is oil, not grease. I just finished doing this to mine and oh boy, is it smooth.
That is the first thing i do with any new or used reel

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:35 am

Mine had grease in the spool bearings. When I flushed it out with the bearing blaster then soaked the bearings, the grease came off in chunks. Before I flushed the bearings, the distance was pretty average. Now it is a rocket. It casts about even with the 200e with some lures, worse with some, and better with some. It is worse with lighter lures, and better with heavier lures compared to the 200e. About even with the in between stuff.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:44 am

Been throwing frogs on my Curado I the last few weekends and it is amazing for this. I keep the brakes dialed down and it walked away from the 200e. Brakes down to 1 and dial set from 1-2 it casts a frog way further than a E series. Very powerful once hooked up to. Haven't used it for light lures yet, that's what my Chronarch Ci4's are for. Chronarch casts 1/4oz lures very well with 2 brakes on so I would think the Curado would be more than capable on the same settings. For all around I would think 2 brakes on and dial set to 3 or so to start out, then dial back as you go.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:51 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:Been throwing frogs on my Curado I the last few weekends and it is amazing for this. I keep the brakes dialed down and it walked away from the 200e. Brakes down to 1 and dial set from 1-2 it casts a frog way further than a E series. Very powerful once hooked up to. Haven't used it for light lures yet, that's what my Chronarch Ci4's are for. Chronarch casts 1/4oz lures very well with 2 brakes on so I would think the Curado would be more than capable on the same settings. For all around I would think 2 brakes on and dial set to 3 or so to start out, then dial back as you go.
This is my experience too.. People need to stop with the "2 brakes on and forget it" state of mind with shimanos. Its very possible to go down to 1 brake on the SVS infinity and the old VBS system and get really long casts with the right lures. If you run 2 brakes on your Curado I you basically have 50% of the brakes on.

lape0019
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lape0019 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:42 am

I am set at two brakes on and the infinity system set at 2-3. If I go any less, I start getting birdsnests.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:20 am

lape0019 wrote:I am set at two brakes on and the infinity system set at 2-3. If I go any less, I start getting birdsnests.
This is the setting I used with my Ci4's when I first got them. After using them for a few months I was able to slowly turn the dial down to 1 and am now casting the same lures with no backlash and a lot more distance. This is probably goin to happen with the Curados also. As you use it more and more, keep dialing it back. They seem to need a little break-in time.

brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by brownhl » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:58 am

I keep reading on here about Shimano shipping reels with grease in the spool bearings, but Bantam1, the Shimano reps says they are only shipped with excessive oil in the spool bearings and some may have residual grease on the exterior of the bearing, but not in the bearings.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:38 am

brownhl wrote:I keep reading on here about Shimano shipping reels with grease in the spool bearings, but Bantam1, the Shimano reps says they are only shipped with excessive oil in the spool bearings and some may have residual grease on the exterior of the bearing, but not in the bearings.
Yeah the grease was actually on the outside of the spool bearings now that I look back on it.

87tpita
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by 87tpita » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:55 pm

2 set to on.... and 3 on the external dial is a safe starting point for 1/4+.......