Casting Help!

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
rtf
Angler
Angler

Casting Help!

Post by rtf » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:36 pm

I just got my first good reel, an Alphas 103 Type F. I have it on a Quantum KVD Signature 6'4" M/L Fast.
Read a thread on here where one of the guys used one of these with 1/4 oz. lure, magnets at 4-6 clicks and no spool tension. I drilled my casting plug to 7gr. (.24oz) set it at 6 clicks and no spool tension. This thing was casting like a dream, 75 ft. with very little effort and could have gone further.
I use mostly plastic so I put on a 5" Strike King Worm with a 3/O EWG hook (10gr.) tried to cast with the same settings and nothing but birds nests. Had to go to 10/11 clicks and tighten the spool. I could cast it but had to use a lot more force.
I don't understand the drastic change, it was like a different reel. I would love to be able to cast my plastic with the ease of the plug. Any thoughts would be welcome.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Casting Help!

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:49 pm

rtf wrote:I just got my first good reel, an Alphas 103 Type F. I have it on a Quantum KVD Signature 6'4" M/L Fast.
Read a thread on here where one of the guys used one of these with 1/4 oz. lure, magnets at 4-6 clicks and no spool tension. I drilled my casting plug to 7gr. (.24oz) set it at 6 clicks and no spool tension. This thing was casting like a dream, 75 ft. with very little effort and could have gone further.
I use mostly plastic so I put on a 5" Strike King Worm with a 3/O EWG hook (10gr.) tried to cast with the same settings and nothing but birds nests. Had to go to 10/11 clicks and tighten the spool. I could cast it but had to use a lot more force.
I don't understand the drastic change, it was like a different reel. I would love to be able to cast my plastic with the ease of the plug. Any thoughts would be welcome.
Its all aerodynamics and wind resistance unfortunately. Put a 3/8ths jig on it and watch it sail.

DaveJ

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:02 pm

Yeah the lighter you go the more brake you need, even with finesse reels.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:37 pm

I'm assuming you bought it used. Did you clean it out? With the spool tension set to the point where the spool has a very, very slight side to side wiggle and the dial set at 5/6, you should be okay as long as you're not force feeding the plastic into the water. Of course it does require a little more thumb.

rtf
Angler
Angler

Post by rtf » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:58 pm

Actually, the plug only weighed 7 gr. and the worm w/hook weighed 10gr. I started with the plug and after a few casts it was incredible. No effort to throw 75', I could stop it where I wanted, it was everything I could want. Put the heavier worm on and it was a different animal. I thought the worm was fairly aerodynamic and only slightly heavier but no amount of thumb would stop the backlash. Only way it would cast was by tightening everything up. In order to throw the worm, I'm not much better off than I was with the BPS Prolite I learned on.

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by facelessnewsouth » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:46 pm

Don't get discouraged, the Alphas is a much better reel than the prolite. As has been stated, with casting lighter stuff, aerodynamics plays a big part in how much braking force will need to be applied, as well as wind speed and direction. Take some time throwing the worm, and slowly start to loosen your reel up and train your thumb to how your reel reacts on the cast. You'll be sailing that thing out there in no time, and you'll see how much a good reel really shines when you get the hang of it.

rtf
Angler
Angler

Post by rtf » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:12 pm

I guess what confuses me is I had no problem with the lighter weight. It's the opposite of what I am used to. The more weight I put on the Prolite the better I could cast.

hobobob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by hobobob » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:41 am

Besides cleaning and relubing the bearings. Pull the spool out, pull on the mag induction ring to see if the two small plastic blocks are sliding in and out freely. If it's not moving freely, it's not braking efficiently. Try add just a bit of oil onto the side the plastic block ( railing ) and exercise it a little. Once it's moving freely, you are good to go. Check the brakes every month or two and relube if needed.

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by raul » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:41 am

As everyone stated, it´s a matter of aerodynamics, compared to the plug the worm has the aerodynamic properties of a kite. [-(

It´s just a matter of keep trying with diffeent adjustments until you get it right, also, you are not used to the reel, with time you learn to handle them.

The Alphas platform is my favorite one even though they lack clicking drag star ](*,) , not that it´s super important not all my older reels had it but it would have been a nice a feature the Alphas and Pixy lack.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:22 am

When i was getting used to daiwa mag brakes switching from an aerodynamic plug to something more wind resistant i changed the way I cast and go into more of a slow roll cast and loaded the rod less. That way the bait wouldn't start off fast and slow down quickly in the wind and i'd get less spaghetti...

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:53 am

Good info fellas. Did the R Type have a clicking drag?

hobobob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by hobobob » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:33 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:Good info fellas. Did the R Type have a clicking drag?
You are thinking about the Pixy type R. The alphas type r has no clicking drag. It's not so much as to provide a click when making adjustment, it's locking the drag in place to so you don't loosen he drag accidentally.

Thanks to tackle trap, there is a kit to change that.

Crappielimits
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Crappielimits » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:14 pm

I agree on the aerodynamics as stated above and will add that it's about leverage and loading the rod. To me your rod is short for throwing a worm rig. I usually use a 6'10" to a 7' 2" for worms and jigs in a medium or medium heavy dependent on brand and rod components.

badbuffalo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by badbuffalo » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:11 am

Defiantly the baits wind resistance. A 3/8oz rattle trap will sail past a 3/8oz spinner bait on the same setup.

rtf
Angler
Angler

Post by rtf » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:47 am

I got the shorter rod because I fish from a kayak and wanted accuracy more so than distance. If I were to do it again I would look for a 6'6" rod. The bass that are caught in the lakes that are close for me are on the small side so the M/L rod is more fun. A 3lb. fish is a great catch, a 5lb. is a monster.
I am getting the Alphas figured out fairly well. Now I have to work on my mechanics and accuracy. I am practicing at 75', which is plenty in the kayak, now I need to put it in the same place consistently.