SV Spool Inductor

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: SV Spool Inductor

Post by the hooligan » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:55 am

Doing a little research on spools, was this problem ever figured out with the sticky inductor ?

Just picked up my first td ito and figuring out what spool im going to slap in there for finesse fishing. sv shallow, is finesse, or honeycomb...

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:19 am

the hooligan wrote:Doing a little research on spools, was this problem ever figured out with the sticky inductor ?

Just picked up my first td ito and figuring out what spool im going to slap in there for finesse fishing. sv shallow, is finesse, or honeycomb...
RCS1012 or SV shallow :) The IS or Honeycomb really too finesse to me. LOL.

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:51 am

cndbasshunter wrote:
the hooligan wrote:Doing a little research on spools, was this problem ever figured out with the sticky inductor ?

lol, ive never used a tdz platform so i dont even know what the stock ito spool can handle for the lighter baits.

Ill primarily be throwing 1/16oz shakeyheads, 1/16oz flickshakes, and 1/4oz topwater. I'll most likely be using 8lb copoly.

Wondering if that sv spool will handle 1/16oz plastics :)

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:04 am

the hooligan wrote:
cndbasshunter wrote:

lol, ive never used a tdz platform so i dont even know what the stock ito spool can handle for the lighter baits.

Ill primarily be throwing 1/16oz shakeyheads, 1/16oz flickshakes, and 1/4oz topwater. I'll most likely be using 8lb copoly.

Wondering if that sv spool will handle 1/16oz plastics :)
yes it will...8 lbs test fluoro will work perfect with it....

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:32 am

Just got an FX73, only have had it out 4 times and noticed it was acting different,took the spool out and sure enough the inductor was stuck in the outward position. It's a brand new reel. Anyone have a reason,or solution??

Nevrsumma
Angler
Angler

Post by Nevrsumma » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:26 am

Ok, as the original poster of this topic I will tell you my experience and eventual resolution of the problem. After trying several different methods to remedy the problem on my own I finally contacted Jun from Japan tackle to see if there was any way in which he could aid me in finding a solution. Jun went above, beyond, and out of his way in helping me as a mediator between myself and Daiwa Japan. For that I am extremely grateful, and for this will be using his site for many of my future purchases.I ended up shipping all three affected reels back to Diawa Japan for warranty service. Roughly one month later the reels were returned to me with the spools in working order. The repair was done under warranty and free of charge. (however shipping was quite expensive)The only problem is I was unable to find out exactly what they did to repair the inductor.After inspecting it ,I suspect they used a stronger spring on the inductor mechanism. I have had all three reels out several times since the repair and I have not experienced any sticking of the inductors whatsoever thus far. I wish I could say exactly what the course of action was taken in repairing the spools was, but in truth at this point I am just happy to have all of them back and in working order.

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:32 am

Nevrsumma wrote:I now own 3 reels equipped with SV spools (2 of the black variety found in the Steez SV LTD, and one of the originals found in my T3 SV) and I have been experiencing the exact same issue with all 3. Upon removing the sideplates after a day on the water I have found the inductors to be stuck in the outermost position, essentially making them operate as a fixed inductor. The only way to get them to return to their normal operation(as a moving inductor) is to manually twist them back a quarter turn by hand. Has anyone else on this board been experiencing this issue? As pointed out to me by another member, Daiwa's recommendation was to oil the inductor mechanism. I had already tried to oil this mechanism in all 3 spools with no luck, the problem persisted in all three spools/reels. It only takes a few casts to get stuck in all cases. I find this to be a fairly serious design flaw in the otherwise superb SV spool and I am quite surprised that I have not heard more people bring it up. Any input is greatly appreciated.
Thank You!
I apologize....Seems I am completely wrong on this posting...the OP has had this issue with STOCK SV spools...ignore my previous post...Or I will delete it too. I have 3 stocked reels and have yet to have the stuck inductor issue....wonder if I would know...I knew it on my TD-Z...as my bait quit falling straight vertical down no matter how loose I had my spool tension knob. I catually moved my mag brake dial from 0-10 numerous times and it fixed it.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:36 am

Thanks Nevrsumma, glad you got the problem resolved. I did not buy my Fx73 from Japan Tackle. Will have to check with Megabass and see what they say.

slicksouthpaw
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by slicksouthpaw » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:08 pm

any updates on how to fix the inductor sticking out? i took a close look and it looks like a piece of plastic gets wedged in with another piece of plastic on the spool shaft. i think filling in that gap will resolve this problem.

that shouldnt throw off the balance of the spool right?

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:47 pm

My FX73 inductor was sticking, when the inductor was stuck in the out position I put a couple of drops of Alchemy Oil in the center section and worked it in. It's working fine so far. A stronger spring may help the issue as well.

igl00jx
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by igl00jx » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:52 am

Swap the stock spring for something stiffer. Stock is really flimsy and allows the inductor to stick out. Stiffer spring will keep the inductor in more, but still retain the same amount of control. It loosens it up, but still retains the same control. GL

smallykiller
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by smallykiller » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:15 am

I tried a few solutions that all failed with my SS-SV. The inductor seems to move out too far and the plastic pieces get wedged together. The reel still casts well but this is not proper function. I had sent my SS-SV spool back to Japan 2x for fix, both times the new spool did the same thing. I solved the problem by fitting a Steez SV spool. No issues now cause the Steez sv rotor doesn't extend as far out, therefore it doesn't stick. Truly a design flaw by Daiwa here. The SS SV parts need to be redesigned in order to work properly.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:28 am

smallykiller wrote:I tried a few solutions that all failed with my SS-SV. The inductor seems to move out too far and the plastic pieces get wedged together. The reel still casts well but this is not proper function. I had sent my SS-SV spool back to Japan 2x for fix, both times the new spool did the same thing. I solved the problem by fitting a Steez SV spool. No issues now cause the Steez sv rotor doesn't extend as far out, therefore it doesn't stick. Truly a design flaw by Daiwa here. The SS SV parts need to be redesigned in order to work properly.

I actually bought another Daiwa reel so edit as not to jinx this one. :-$ :-$
I have the Daiwa SV105 and have this issue of the inductor getting stuck. I went and added a piece of plactic in the gap area that this person mentioned to do, below link. I went outside and made a few hard casts and seems to work, too cold to give it a real workout will have to wait a few months for that.

http://kenken-020412.blogspot.com/2013/ ... edy_3.html
Last edited by QUAKEnSHAKE on Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:57 am

If you had bought the reels from Tackle Trap, would they take care of the problem?

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:23 am

Actually wasnt difficult to fix. Longest part for me was allowing time for epoxy to dry(overnight). Take apart and snip off extra plastic put back together maybe 15 minutes total. I used epoxy not super glue cause some plastics dont like super glue and this allowed me time to make adjustment on where the little plastic piece went and also stronger bond.