The best deal for a Daiwa...at least for me!

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

The best deal for a Daiwa...at least for me!

Post by Big-Bass » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:51 pm

So today I was with my wife enjoying a Saturday and after we got some lunch, we stopped by a flea market that runs each week at an old warehouse that used to be sort of a walmart style store. There is usually a bunch of fishing stuff there but most is junk. Today we walked in and low-and-behold there was a stand set up with some really nice stuff. However, the guy working the booth did not seem to know much about the items he was selling. He had some nib Daiwa, Shimano, and Quantum stuff as well as some used stuff. Among the mix of Daiwa Megaforce with the twitching bar and a few Lagunas, there was a T3 1016 TW brand new in box. I asked "how much" and he sort of struggled (because he was probably guessing) and looked at the other boxes. He said $75 after reading the same price on a Megaforce box and I immediately nudged my wife and said let's take a quick walk. I came back after telling her what the reel really costs and said $65 to the man at the booth. He settled at $70 (throwing in a free Norman Deep Little N in a discontinued natural perch color that I was looking at) and I ran out of that flea market like a kid in a candy store! I know they are on sale because they are discontinued but $70 for a $429 reel has to be one of the best deals out there! :D This reel is awesome and was casting it today on my Dobyns rod and a casting plug in my yard. It's really light and the long cast option with 4 on the magnetic settings allow baits to soar effortlessly. Just passing along my joy of such a good deal. Even if the reel ends up being only okay...I am only out $70! Hopefully it gives me years of fishing! Sorry for the long story but I wanted to share...

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: The best deal for a Daiwa...at least for me!

Post by new2BC4bass » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:25 pm

Sweeeet. :mrgreen: I purchased 2 used ones. I had the brakes set at Longcast and dial at zero and was casting with no overruns or backlashes. However I felt Maxbrake was getting about the same distance, but without the fear of backlashing. With everything set for maximum distance I could feel the line rising up on every cast.

I got my new one out today only to find that the cast control doesn't work on this reel. Bummer. :crying:

I'd say you made the deal of the century. Congratulations. If you find any more like that, buy them and I will send you the money for them plus shipping. :big grin: :big grin:

fishingman88
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishingman88 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:50 pm

That's a highway robbery right there :D Great buy!! It's crazy when you run across someone selling things and they have no idea the value. Sometimes you have to wonder where they got their inventory from....

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:14 pm

I also wondered where they got their inventory from (but in the end who really knows) yet at the same time felt bad because I knew what I was buying and the guy working the booth I don't think realized what he was selling. If he was selling the reel for someone else, I hope he doesn't tell them the price he sold it for because he based his price off the other box with the listed price of $75. Needless to say, this reel is sweet and I am beyond happy to have scored such a deal. Btw, in the box, besides the plastic bag and manual, there is a little plastic bag with what looks a one sided adhesive padding or something along those lines...only about an inch long and 1/4 inch thick. What is this used for? Was it put there by accident? Maybe it's a creative addition from an already strange flea market or actually something Daiwa really includes. Thank you!

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:03 pm

Big-Bass wrote:I also wondered where they got their inventory from (but in the end who really knows) yet at the same time felt bad because I knew what I was buying and the guy working the booth I don't think realized what he was selling. If he was selling the reel for someone else, I hope he doesn't tell them the price he sold it for because he based his price off the other box with the listed price of $75. Needless to say, this reel is sweet and I am beyond happy to have scored such a deal. Btw, in the box, besides the plastic bag and manual, there is a little plastic bag with what looks a one sided adhesive padding or something along those lines...only about an inch long and 1/4 inch thick. What is this used for? Was it put there by accident? Maybe it's a creative addition from an already strange flea market or actually something Daiwa really includes. Thank you!
They're sticky pads that go on the reel foot to keep it from getting scratched.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:51 pm

Nice deal for sure!! We have flea markets like that and last week I got a great deal on Owner twist lock hooks, $1.50 a pack as the man didn't know what he had but I got insight where he got his inventory. Auction houses will buy unclaimed parcels from ports and they auction items off in groups like "fishing group", the buyers can't look, they take a leap of faith but they get about 3k to 5k worth of merchandise for $400 to $800 but a lot of it nobody wants. If you find a fishing booth in a flea market that is selling brand new stuff and you notice saltwater stuff mixed in with freshwater stuff with no rhyme or reason you can bet the person is a regular at these kind of auctions, you have to be invited or something. I know this because we have a little discount grocery store around the corner and the owner gets all but his deli stuff from the same places, he told me how it works. Congrats on a great deal.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:14 am

Hopefully there were no witnesses.. That is almost as much a steal as the 10 cent crucial that one guy talked about here a while ago.

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:29 am

tywithay wrote:
Big-Bass wrote:I also wondered where they got their inventory from (but in the end who really knows) yet at the same time felt bad because I knew what I was buying and the guy working the booth I don't think realized what he was selling. If he was selling the reel for someone else, I hope he doesn't tell them the price he sold it for because he based his price off the other box with the listed price of $75. Needless to say, this reel is sweet and I am beyond happy to have scored such a deal. Btw, in the box, besides the plastic bag and manual, there is a little plastic bag with what looks a one sided adhesive padding or something along those lines...only about an inch long and 1/4 inch thick. What is this used for? Was it put there by accident? Maybe it's a creative addition from an already strange flea market or actually something Daiwa really includes. Thank you!
They're sticky pads that go on the reel foot to keep it from getting scratched.
The T3 had problems on some of the Steez production rods(air beam seats).Even when locked down fully,there was sometimes movement under load.The sticky pads may have something to do with this.
Problem as noted in TT review,
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdaiwat3reelpg3.html

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:33 am

I like the reel a lot...I might have to pick up another one with all of these 4th of July sales going on. I figure I will probably never get another deal like the one I got yesterday so I had to jump on that one. What do you use your T3 for?

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:34 am

10 cent Crucial...how is that even possible!

BassMan33
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BassMan33 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:17 am

Nice find \:D/

even26
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by even26 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:24 am

you should be ashamed of yourself for even walking away and then low balling him! I'll give you $100...GREAT DEAL! =D>