Connected Feeling

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Connected Feeling

Post by Afrayedknot » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:36 am

I have used many shimano and daiwa reels over the years and the biggest difference between the two IMO is the feeling while winding, especially when there is a crankbait or spinnerbaits or some other moving bait on the line. The shimanos have always felt numb and slightly disconnected. Some describe it as smooth numbness. Daiwa reels have always felt very connected and almost geary. This includes both the daiwa reels with a free floating spool design and those with the elongated spool shaft.Both make a very smooth reel though (not trying to start any wars here :lol: ) I'm sure most of you would agree with all of this.

When it comes down to the build of the reel and the internal characteristics, why do you think that shimanos feel numb and slightly disconnected whereas the daiwa reels feel connected?

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Connected Feeling

Post by facelessnewsouth » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:01 pm

I think it really depends on the reel...I've never felt a numbness or disconnection with the shimano reels I have used for cranking (curado and citica E series), but then again, I've never used a daiwa reel for the same technique, so I might be a bit biased ;) .

87tpita
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by 87tpita » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:57 pm

Hmmmm....might do a bit of an experiment tomorrow if the weather holds up.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:13 pm

I think it totally depends on the reel. A Zillion, T3, and Tdz all feel quite different to me. Different gear and frame materials. On the other side, most of my Shimano reels feel rather similar Imo.

natalex85
Angler
Angler

Post by natalex85 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:22 am

I have never used a Daiwa.

I have always used abu garcia reels. Used the round reels when I was a teen and in early college. Took a long hiatus from bass fishing much because of 10 yrs of school/ training. Came back and got the revos and lews (both of which I like very much).

I also bought one storm trooper chronarch (5.4.1) for cranking and have a hard time using it because of the numb/ disconnected feeling. I had never thought of it that way buts thats exactly what it is. Any way I don't like using it for that reason.

pharmboy2010
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by pharmboy2010 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:11 am

I know exactly what you mean. I fish all Daiwa. However, over the years I have tried a couple of Shimanos, a Chronarch B and a Citica E. Just couldn't get used to them and the disconnected feel was one of the reasons.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:14 am

pharmboy2010 wrote:I know exactly what you mean. I fish all Daiwa. However, over the years I have tried a couple of Shimanos, a Chronarch B and a Citica E. Just couldn't get used to them and the disconnected feel was one of the reasons.
I also have sold off most of my shimanos because of this disconnected feeling.. The only shimano that doesn't have it that I've used is the 51e. I am hoping the curado I doesnt feel disconnected.

Aaronb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Aaronb » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:38 am

I've never experienced this difference in any of my Shimano or Daiwa reels. I guess I'm not one to sit around and contemplate reel smoothness though. I just fish the reels I enjoy. I guess maybe that could make a difference. I do think sometimes someone says something and a person only "notices" it, because someone else said they had. There's likely something to that as well. I guess if I think about it next time I take a Daiwa and Shimano out I'll try to find this difference if possible.

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:46 am

I'm not even sure half the guys know what there talking about. I personally don't understand the disconnected feeling.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:37 am

fishingandfords wrote:I'm not even sure half the guys know what there talking about. I personally don't understand the disconnected feeling.
I've never owned a Shimano, but the ones I have played around with normally felt like a Daiwa reel with the drag backed all the way off. Or maybe like the reel works with pulleys and belts rather than gears. I guess I prefer feeling the teeth in the gears a bit. Many do not. Daiwas certainly seem noisier to me.

DaveJ

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:16 pm

fishingandfords wrote:I'm not even sure half the guys know what there talking about. I personally don't understand the disconnected feeling.
:lol:

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:59 am

To me, feeling the gears when I'm cranking means it's time for lubrication. Gear "noise", to me, is the same as tire noise. It's caused by friction, and means both the tires are the gears are wearing.

metanium
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by metanium » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:38 am

I guess I have a slightly different take on the numbness or disconnected feeling that Shimanos have. I do agree that Shimanos have a "less geary" feel compared to the Daiwas and ABU's I've owned (PX-68 & Revo STX). That said, I prefer the disconnected feeling of Shimanos pon moving bait presentations, as I feel it helps me to concentrate on any sensation from the rod. I think the "geary" of connected feeling particularly with ABU actually interferes with my ability to detect subtle changes in rod feeling, whether a nibble or structure that I may be coming into contact with.

On slack line presentations, the "geary" reels do fine by me, as I'm using the sweep of the rod to feel my bait through the water, and only turn the crank to take up slack.

Make any sense?

grumpydog
Angler
Angler

Post by grumpydog » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:54 am

I have curados and t3s, and love both. The only way I can describe the disconnected feeling is like the difference between using your favorite hammer compared to borrowing one. My t3s just seem to "fit". I dont think about how they feel while Im using them. The curados feel like a tool I have picked up thats not really mine.
The t3 gets used for topwater and active casting (shallow crank, spinnerbait, wacky) while curados are my deep crank, jig, etc reels.
It makes sense to me, but my wife says im strange. :strface:

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:54 pm

Reels from both line-ups can exhibit either of these characteristics...granted smooth and buttery more so in Shimano (although my last mint Antares AR had a very light "hint" of glass smooth gear connectedness even with Shimano gear grease), aside reels like the CH 50 MG.

Daiwa also has reels like the REAL FOUR line-up, which feel much more like a traditional Shimano (again heavier grease like Shimano's gear grease will make most Daiwas feel more buttery smooth). Additionally, most of my Millionaire platforms have been very smooth, but still connected like a TDZ...kinda of an in-between (aside my 100XR, which is smoother than ANY BC I have ever used). Then to add in my near 30 year old PT 33s, which are all very smooth and being less connected than later gen Daiwas...

So.... :-k

Fish what you like eh? :P