Lew's VS Shimano

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Lew's VS Shimano

Post by Afrayedknot » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:56 am

I used a TP a while back and wasn't really impressed with the distance and felt it was very finicky on the cast, albeit I was using 15 fluoro paired with some ceramic bearings. I feel like I didn't give it a fair chance and want to give it another shot. At the same time, I am intrigued by the ci4+ and curado I.

In strictly distance, which would win? If I had all three reels on the same cranking rods and with 10lb line with say a KVD 1.5 or 1/2 rat-l-trap, which would win?

Thanks IA

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Lew's VS Shimano

Post by tywithay » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:25 am

For me, it'd be the CI4+, if all were stock. The Lews TP with ceramic bearings would give it a run for its money.

H8R
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by H8R » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:24 pm

Is this a joke?

PCSnooker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PCSnooker » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:33 pm

While I've never fished any if the reels mentioned I have handled them in the store and I've never felt like the build of the Kees reels is on the same level as it's daiwa/ shimano counter parts. I'm curious to see where this thread goes as I'm still really interested in the chronarch. I'm really hoping shimano comes out with an aluminum version of the same reel. Could possibly be my ideal reel.

Altro Cat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Altro Cat » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:29 pm

Honestly that TP with ceramic bearings should outcast the two stock Shimano reels. I put Boca OS 7's in my two remaining TP's this winter and it really brought them to life. The braking system on the new Shimanos will give them more control for tight to the bank target casting but for just bombing a lure across a big flat or something like that the TP should hold it's own if not win.

H8R
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by H8R » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:56 pm

Flush and relube your shimano bearings and use TSI321! Just got my core back together and it's stupid how much it smooths things out! I'm a believer now, that most bearing upgrades aren't needed unless your stickers are defective.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:25 am

OK, I really got to know why soo many people are so concerned with being able to cast 40-50yds. Maybe its just me, but I would be more concerned about line control so as not to backlash. I mean, I read this forum and this is all you guys talk about. I would imagine that you wouldn't want to throw a bait further than you would be able to get a strong hookset on. Down here in the Glades a pretty average cast is 15-20yds at most. I would say just make sure to set the brakes so that you can comfortably cast the reel without having to worry about using your thumb to control a backlash, after all, isn't that what the brake systems are for? I can still cast my reels a good 20-30yds without touching the spool until the lure hits the water, mind you Shimano/Daiwa/Lews reels are used. Im not looking to start a fight, just trying to make sense of all of this.

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:12 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:OK, I really got to know why soo many people are so concerned with being able to cast 40-50yds. Maybe its just me, but I would be more concerned about line control so as not to backlash. I mean, I read this forum and this is all you guys talk about. I would imagine that you wouldn't want to throw a bait further than you would be able to get a strong hookset on. Down here in the Glades a pretty average cast is 15-20yds at most. I would say just make sure to set the brakes so that you can comfortably cast the reel without having to worry about using your thumb to control a backlash, after all, isn't that what the brake systems are for? I can still cast my reels a good 20-30yds without touching the spool until the lure hits the water, mind you Shimano/Daiwa/Lews reels are used. Im not looking to start a fight, just trying to make sense of all of this.
I like to bomb cast my cranks to achieve maximum depth and stay longer in the intended water level.
That's why I went with Abec 7's ceramics for 2x of my TP's, not much distance was gained from original stock bearings.

Couldn't help out in regards to shimano....but love my Lew's!

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:13 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:OK, I really got to know why soo many people are so concerned with being able to cast 40-50yds. Maybe its just me, but I would be more concerned about line control so as not to backlash. I mean, I read this forum and this is all you guys talk about. I would imagine that you wouldn't want to throw a bait further than you would be able to get a strong hookset on. Down here in the Glades a pretty average cast is 15-20yds at most. I would say just make sure to set the brakes so that you can comfortably cast the reel without having to worry about using your thumb to control a backlash, after all, isn't that what the brake systems are for? I can still cast my reels a good 20-30yds without touching the spool until the lure hits the water, mind you Shimano/Daiwa/Lews reels are used. Im not looking to start a fight, just trying to make sense of all of this.
I don't know about the OP but I don't have a boat, so I try to cover as much water as possible, maybe he is in the same situation? I have a Revo with dual brakes which I believe is what the TP has? And my svs infinity reels cast farther.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:22 am

Afrayedknot wrote:I used a TP a while back and wasn't really impressed with the distance and felt it was very finicky on the cast, albeit I was using 15 fluoro paired with some ceramic bearings. I feel like I didn't give it a fair chance and want to give it another shot. At the same time, I am intrigued by the ci4+ and curado I.

In strictly distance, which would win? If I had all three reels on the same cranking rods and with 10lb line with say a KVD 1.5 or 1/2 rat-l-trap, which would win?

Thanks IA
By TP, do you mean Team Pro, or the older Tournament Pro?

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:26 am

mark poulson wrote:
Afrayedknot wrote:I used a TP a while back and wasn't really impressed with the distance and felt it was very finicky on the cast, albeit I was using 15 fluoro paired with some ceramic bearings. I feel like I didn't give it a fair chance and want to give it another shot. At the same time, I am intrigued by the ci4+ and curado I.

Thanks IA
TLP's Lew's Team Pro
TP's Lew's Tournament Pro

To my understanding anyways.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:58 am

It is just very satisfying to watch the crank go a mile. Yes, it feeds the mind, but it also catches fish. Especially if they are busting shad and you can't get too close or else you will spook them.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:59 am

389Maverick wrote:
mark poulson wrote:

Thanks IA
TLP's Lew's Team Pro
TP's Lew's Tournament Pro

To my understanding anyways.
Thanks.
I have two of the TP's, and they are my favorite reels. Once I got them set up they cast like a dream, and far, too.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:24 pm

This pic here shows how far out the aerator is in this lake. I throw out to it and catch fish all the time great spot heres why. I throw past the circle and Im in weeds on the bottom. I drag whatever Im using senko fat ika through the weeds then there is an open section maybe 10' or so then hit weeds again. In that open section that lines-up very closely to the aerator is where I get strikes. If Im not getting to that area I rarely will get hit unless working the rocky shore
Theres no major line controll issues with casting that distance an ika will bomb out there very easily with minimal to no thumbing needed til landing. Dont even need to think about the cast it just happens the same way as tossing 50' with 2-3 brakes on. Actually Ive noticed that when bombing for some while then go and make shorter cast bam backlash on the short toss :oops: I catch many fish out past 100' and 4 of my biggest 6 fish last year were at distance.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:33 pm

Nice!