New Zillion - We want info!

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: New Zillion - We want info!

Post by africanbass » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:11 am

389Maverick wrote:
E73Bass wrote: And to make sure the foreighners understand that in this country we have the FREEDOM to give opinions and observations and still like/love something.
:-#
Say no more.....

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:29 am

tywithay wrote:
toddmc wrote:
grantman83 wrote:If it has the same jutting brake dial as the tatula In the same location then I have to pass. That dial is in the exact location to where I wrap my finger when holding the reel. Everyone says the reel is great and I'm sure the new zillion will be but it's amazing how such a small detail can sway some people. The recessed dial on the current zillions is literally perfect for how I hold the reel. Oh well, ss for me it seems
+1
It is sad that Daiwa didn't listen to us on the brake dial or a smaller frame. The spool, the mechanical brake knob, and the free floating spool are great features. I'm off to buy an SS SV.
SS SV is a fantastic reel, but not really comparable. I think it's more limited technique-wise.
Agreed, if the new Zillion is anything like the Tatula, to me anyways, they are very different reels.

thelatrobe33
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by thelatrobe33 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:47 am

So... the new Zillion is a Tatula Type R with a nicer clutch? Color me disappointed.

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:57 am

And why is the frame protector piece only on one side?

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:15 am

thelatrobe33 wrote:So... the new Zillion is a Tatula Type R with a nicer clutch? Color me disappointed.
It also has all the clickies that people whine about and a free floating spool. I'm curious about the spool weight, and aftermarket compatibility. Definitely dig the looks.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:23 am

As long as other spools are compatible, I'm happy. Tatula with a free flaying spool and other goodies should be great.

Also, keep in mind that it might be available for significantly less than retail price much like the tatula.

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:32 am

I’m sure it will be an improvement to the Tatula, or else it wouldn’t be called a Zillion.
I’m really digging the looks, who knows maybe it will palm different from the Tat?
I’ll only judge once it’s out on the shelves.

MSRP?

biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by biggs » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:47 am

I'm liking the TWS and free floating spool. I am going to judge once I hold it.
389Maverick wrote:MSRP?
I've read $299 somewhere

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:00 am

grantman83 wrote:If it has the same jutting brake dial as the tatula In the same location then I have to pass. That dial is in the exact location to where I wrap my finger when holding the reel. Everyone says the reel is great and I'm sure the new zillion will be but it's amazing how such a small detail can sway some people. The recessed dial on the current zillions is literally perfect for how I hold the reel. Oh well, ss for me it seems
I totally agree. ](*,)

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:06 pm

joekaz wrote:
I totally agree. ](*,)

Has anyone checked to see if the Zillion/TDZ dial would somehow swap in to the Tatula?

DaveJ

ah_long
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ah_long » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:43 pm

If there's no improvement on the braking system on the Spool (SV brakes), I wouldn't put too much weight into free floating vs shimano style spool regarding its casting performance

It is however possible that it is indeed a SV spool but US Daiwa doesn't want to market the term yet

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:24 am

ah_long wrote:If there's no improvement on the braking system on the Spool (SV brakes), I wouldn't put too much weight into free floating vs shimano style spool regarding its casting performance

It is however possible that it is indeed a SV spool but US Daiwa doesn't want to market the term yet

The TWS will be the main reason for improved casting performance....while some may see a slight difference in achieving longer distances with the SV....its main feature is the braking/slowdown of the spool that allows very similar casting performance as having a magnets off to maybe a 3 setting without worry of a backlash(no thumbing).

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:10 am

I like it :D

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:07 am

PCSnooker wrote:
389Maverick wrote:
Jighead61 wrote:Here it is .......

=D> =D> congrats on the findings!

I like it!
Not quite what I was hoping for but I like it too. Looks like it has the same contouring as the more than.
I am digging the change in the Zillion rod foregrip. Also liking the reel nut as well. Wish the Tatulas shared that same style. I think there are some other good surprises coming soon from Daiwa as well.

Bryanp292
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bryanp292 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:30 pm

Do you all think Daiwa has been paying attention to how Shimano has handled the new Curado I roll out? Look at the saying on the bottom of the ad, "When your customers ask, be sure you've got Zillions in stock!". Looks like a small jab at the competition. :lol: