Stella FE vs Stella FI

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Stella FE vs Stella FI

Post by jmb27 » Fri May 23, 2014 6:19 am

Has anyone fished w/the newer FI models (that is also familiar w/the FE ones)? Curious as to any noticeable differences between the two. I did notice that the FI model in the 2500 size has a much shallower spool--rated for 6/104 and 8/77 compared w/ 6/200 and 8/140 for the FE model.

I have an 2500 FE model and was looking to add another Stella (for the last spinning setup that I'll ever need ;) ). It seems that if I am planning on having an FI model, I would need to keep that one on my drop shot setup (w/only 104 yds) and use my current FE as an all-purpose spinning setup (8 lb. test for primarily senkos, shakeyhead, lighter cranks).

Any thoughts on the comparison of the two reels?

EDIT: Cost difference between the two isn't an issue in that I can get either one for about the same price ($10 difference).

MaxZmus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Stella FE vs Stella FI

Post by MaxZmus » Fri May 23, 2014 9:47 am

I'm curious as well. I was going to get a 2500HGS FI but that shallow spool might not work by the time I put a little mono backing and tie my braid to it. I'm afraid the connection knot will protrude and catch the main line on casts. The 3000XHG might be the way to go although it will require way more backing. I've also grown to love the T-knob over the I-knob on the handle.

Hopefully Gary form TackleTrap has had enough on the water time to give his 2 pennies.

hobobob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by hobobob » Fri May 23, 2014 10:42 am

Unless you fish saltwater, do you really need more than 70 yard of line? Even more capacity if you use braid. Just tape the mono backing to the spool and spool the braid on, no need to connect the mainline to the backing. No knot to catch during casting.

I like the big power grip knob better than either of the I and T knob.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Fri May 23, 2014 11:09 am

hobobob wrote:Unless you fish saltwater, do you really need more than 70 yard of line? Even more capacity if you use braid. Just tape the mono backing to the spool and spool the braid on, no need to connect the mainline to the backing. No knot to catch during casting.

FG+ knotsense UV glue. Like not having a knot

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Fri May 23, 2014 11:27 am

Mcyl wrote:
hobobob wrote:Unless you fish saltwater, do you really need more than 70 yard of line? Even more capacity if you use braid. Just tape the mono backing to the spool and spool the braid on, no need to connect the mainline to the backing. No knot to catch during casting.

FG+ knotsense UV glue. Like not having a knot
I'm afrayed that is knot possible to not have a knot. Wait.. what :lol:

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Fri May 23, 2014 12:09 pm

In addition to a shallower spool, the FI 2500 has a max drag of 8.8 versus the 20 lb. of the FE model. The FI also has a feature internally that the FE does not in that the center of gravity (balance) is closer to the rod.

No, I don't need more than 80 yds. of line, but after retying a few times and a few trips, enough line will be used to need to respool unless I used braid w/a leader.

It seems like the FI is designed for more finesse fishing and the FE is more of an "all around" spinning reel.

At this point, I might have to flip a coin. :lol:

MaxZmus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MaxZmus » Sun May 25, 2014 2:57 am

jmb27 wrote:In addition to a shallower spool, the FI 2500 has a max drag of 8.8 versus the 20 lb. of the FE model. The FI also has a feature internally that the FE does not in that the center of gravity (balance) is closer to the rod.

No, I don't need more than 80 yds. of line, but after retying a few times and a few trips, enough line will be used to need to respool unless I used braid w/a leader.

It seems like the FI is designed for more finesse fishing and the FE is more of an "all around" spinning reel.

If anyone is interested there's a guy on craigslist selling lightly used in mint condition 2500FE's for only $450.00 My buddy bought one from him and said it was immaculate. Last I checked he has 2 left. I was going to pull the trigger but decided to hold off and put the funds toward an FI.

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Sun May 25, 2014 5:35 am

MaxZmus wrote:
jmb27 wrote:In addition to a shallower spool, the FI 2500 has a max drag of 8.8 versus the 20 lb. of the FE model. The FI also has a feature internally that the FE does not in that the center of gravity (balance) is closer to the rod.

If anyone is interested there's a guy on craigslist selling lightly used in mint condition 2500FE's for only $450.00 My buddy bought one from him and said it was immaculate. Last I checked he has 2 left. I was going to pull the trigger but decided to hold off and put the funds toward an FI.
For this kind of purchase, I prefer to buy new from an authorized dealer (at a good deal off retail) as opposed to a "great" deal on craigslist/ebay. W/my luck, I'll get a reel that has an issue and once I ship that to Shimano/reel repair, pay for repairs and shipping, I really won't have ended up saving much of anything. I want the warranty.

Fished w/the Stella 2500 this morning--dropshotting. That's a lot of line on there for 6 lb. flouro. I was beginning to think that I could just get the FI model and use it for dropshotting (or spybaiting/ultra finesse stuff) and put the 2500 on the rod I have coming in that I plan to use w/8 lb. for senkos, shakeyheads, light cranks, etc.

Are the line management issues bad w/the smaller spools?

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Sun May 25, 2014 10:06 am

jmb27 wrote:
MaxZmus wrote:

For this kind of purchase, I prefer to buy new from an authorized dealer (at a good deal off retail) as opposed to a "great" deal on craigslist/ebay. W/my luck, I'll get a reel that has an issue and once I ship that to Shimano/reel repair, pay for repairs and shipping, I really won't have ended up saving much of anything. I want the warranty.

Fished w/the Stella 2500 this morning--dropshotting. That's a lot of line on there for 6 lb. flouro. I was beginning to think that I could just get the FI model and use it for dropshotting (or spybaiting/ultra finesse stuff) and put the 2500 on the rod I have coming in that I plan to use w/8 lb. for senkos, shakeyheads, light cranks, etc.

Are the line management issues bad w/the smaller spools?
There's no issues with the shallow spools. They're the same diameter as the deeper spools, just have less capacity.

SWH
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SWH » Mon May 26, 2014 3:37 am

I have the FE2500 and new FI2500 (JDM) that is a much nicer reel than it's predecessor. Firstly it feels much more robust yet very refined and the design is more streamlined. You also notice that it feels better on a rod balance wise. Drag wise they're both incredibly smooth, the FI has louder clicking though. A shallow spool has much less drag than the regular versions as it's meant for lighter line you'll get more refined adjustments when tuning the drag. Last noteworthy improvement is the increased torque. Reel somehow seems completely sealed.

Thumbs up from here :)

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Mon May 26, 2014 8:57 am

SWH wrote:I have the FE2500 and new FI2500 (JDM) that is a much nicer reel than it's predecessor. Firstly it feels much more robust yet very refined and the design is more streamlined. You also notice that it feels better on a rod balance wise. Drag wise they're both incredibly smooth, the FI has louder clicking though. A shallow spool has much less drag than the regular versions as it's meant for lighter line you'll get more refined adjustments when tuning the drag. Last noteworthy improvement is the increased torque. Reel somehow seems completely sealed.

Thumbs up from here :)
Thanks for the review. As mentioned, I have a 2500FE on my drop shot rod now. It sounds like the FI would be better suited for that (I typically drop shot w/6 lbs., sometimes 8) and the FE could go on the 852s that's on the way--I'd spool it w/8 lb. to use for senkos, shakey head, light cranks. Sounds like the FI would also work well w/spybaiting too.

What type of fishing do you do w/the 2 reels?

Xjoy
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Xjoy » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:20 am

I got a question. Does the 2500 fe handle work on the Fi model?

Hanover
Angler
Angler

Post by Hanover » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:21 am

Nice review about the Stella FI just up a few days ago

http://tackletour.com/reviewshimanostellafi.html