Steez palm ability?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
aqua71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Steez palm ability?

Post by aqua71 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:22 am

I’m considering pulling the trigger on a Steez. I’m familiar with the palm ability of the TD-Z and the Zillion, but I have never held a Steez and would like to know how the profile compares?

I have small hands and always ‘cup’ my reels so I avoid purchasing WIDE reels (Curado/Chronarch 201) or anything with a LARGE gear box (Revo GEN 3).

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Steez palm ability?

Post by cndbasshunter » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:26 am

aqua71 wrote:I’m considering pulling the trigger on a Steez. I’m familiar with the palm ability of the TD-Z and the Zillion, but I have never held a Steez and would like to know how the profile compares?

I have small hands and always ‘cup’ my reels so I avoid purchasing WIDE reels (Curado/Chronarch 201) or anything with a LARGE gear box (Revo GEN 3).

The Steez platform is the best palming reel available to me.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:30 am

Super small reel, palms amazing. Almost too much with big hands. Fished mine for 2.5hrs straight last night, no issues at all.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:11 am

cndbasshunter wrote:
aqua71 wrote:I’m considering pulling the trigger on a Steez. I’m familiar with the palm ability of the TD-Z and the Zillion, but I have never held a Steez and would like to know how the profile compares?

The Steez platform is the best palming reel available to me.
X2

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:51 am

The only problem I foresee is once you get it in your hands you won't want to put it down. Might want to get two. :lol:

emfry821
Angler
Angler

Post by emfry821 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:12 am

Great ergonomics on the Steez. I have had a Steez ex100hs for about a month and it is hands down the best reel I have ever fished. It is one of those reels that you will not want to put down. Once you feel how little effort casting and retrieving takes you will be in baitcasting heaven. lol

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:42 am

If you enjoy the profile of the TD-Z,the Steez is almost identical in hand.Some still rate the TD-Z a tad more comfortable to palm.

Jeremy S
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Jeremy S » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:39 am

The only reel I've ever held that might have been better in the palm would be my Sol. It's much more comfortable than the Zillion and light years beyond the Tatula.

aqua71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aqua71 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:09 pm

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the responses.

Which (if any) of the Steez models come equipped with brass gears?

husonfirst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by husonfirst » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:43 pm

I have the previous generation Steez (the one with red accents) and it is the most comfortable palming reel I've owned. I have average sized hands. I have/had the Sol, Core 50MG, and Curados but the Steez beats them all as far as palming goes.

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:34 pm

Jeremy S wrote:The only reel I've ever held that might have been better in the palm would be my Sol. It's much more comfortable than the Zillion and light years beyond the Tatula.
I've recently purchased a couple of SS SV's and went ahead and grabbed a Tatula yesterday.
I wanted to see what the hype was all about, as much as I wanted to like the Tat, it's unfortunately going back to the store for a refund today. ](*,)

I digress, palming is important for me, I could not palm or adjust my grip correctly on the Tatula...The Steez has to be one of the best palming reels I've held in a long time, IMHO you would not regret pulling the trigger on a Steez.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:51 pm

389Maverick wrote:
Jeremy S wrote:The only reel I've ever held that might have been better in the palm would be my Sol. It's much more comfortable than the Zillion and light years beyond the Tatula.
I've recently purchased a couple of SS SV's and went ahead and grabbed a Tatula yesterday.
I wanted to see what the hype was all about, as much as I wanted to like the Tat, it's unfortunately going back to the store for a refund today. ](*,)

I digress, palming is important for me, I could not palm or adjust my grip correctly on the Tatula...The Steez has to be one of the best palming reels I've held in a long time, IMHO you would not regret pulling the trigger on a Steez.
I actually prefer palming the Tatula over the SS SV. The SS has a bulge at the back of the reel that feels odd in my palm. I have zero issue with the Tatula. Performance is not that close between the two though. My favorite reel to palm so far is definitely the T3; nothing else is close.

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:55 pm

tywithay wrote:My favorite reel to palm so far is definitely the T3; nothing else is close.
That's what I'm hoping, my first T3 MX is on it's way! \:D/

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:42 pm

389Maverick wrote:
tywithay wrote:My favorite reel to palm so far is definitely the T3; nothing else is close.
I like to cast and retrieve palming the reel. I couldn't do that with the T3 platform due to the pop up hood.

the Steez, like the alphas are probably one of the best reels to palm 100% of the time.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:21 am

389Maverick wrote:

I have medium sized hands and prefer to palm the reel with all four fingers under the rod (not the trigger finger on top in front of the reel like many people prefer). Because of this all the Diawa reel palm pretty nicely for me, but the T3 is easily the most comfortable. The TDZ, Zillion, and Steez are all pretty similarly comfortable. I prefer the thumb area above the line guide on the TDZ and Zillion personally. Other might prefer the Steez or new SS which are very similar. The Tatula doesn't palm as well for those that like their trigger finger on top of the rod in front of the reel. For those like me that put all four fingers under the rod there is little to no difference between it and the Zillion/TDZ.

DaveJ