Revo MGX with upgraded spool, 8lb invisix, and AIR bearings.

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
emfry821
Angler
Angler

Revo MGX with upgraded spool, 8lb invisix, and AIR bearings.

Post by emfry821 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:08 pm

I have been using my Revo MGX for over a year now. It has mainly been used as a general purpose reel. Recently I purchased a steez to take over the duties. I decided to make the MGX strictly finesse bait caster. I change the bearings to Hedgehog studios AIR bearings and upgraded to a ABU works shallow spool (8lb 100m). I would like to let everyone know the results. The rod I am using is a Kistler Helium 3 7' medium (1/8 oz to 1/2 oz) it is more like a medium light. With the OEM revo on a Helios 7' medium rod I was able to cast 1/8 jigheads with a 2 inch grub about 30 feet no real distance on a 1/16 oz and same grub. Once everything was upgraded I am now able to cast the 1/16 oz jighead and grub about 45 feet. I dont know how this compares to the Daiwa Px but it is absolutely perfect for me. Both these upgrades were bought on ebay for 150.00 plus the reel for about 235.00. About the same price as a Daiwa Px but can always be reversed to the OEM state something a px is unable to do.