curado i

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: curado i

Post by tywithay » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:31 am

Neither my CI4+ or Curado were difficult to attach, but I'm curious if it has to do with the paint. Very easy to overpaint by a tiny bit and tighten up the tolerance.

karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by karirick » Sun May 04, 2014 5:07 am

metanium wrote:
robster80 wrote:whos got one and has put it to some use? is it as good as its hyped up to be? better than G series? i got mine in but havent decided on a rod yet so havent put it to use.
I have one in the 6 and one in the 7 gearings, and its better than the G's. I think its one of the smoothest cranking Shimanos I've ever owned. It casts really well the SVS infinity is the best centrifugal braking system Shimano has devised to date.

TT I have invested a lot of $$'s in SVS equipped reels recently. Haven't fished any of them but love the looks, weight, smoothness when reeling etc. These are Metaniums and recently a Conquest 101. It seems from recent posts that SVS is inconsistent and requires adjustments. Like most on here I consider Shimano VBS to be the all-time, most consistent casting brake system and for me has always been set and go.

Anyone have comments and thoughts on this? It is a growing concern for me, based solely on TT comments, which is who I trust most and spend money on based on comments on here. Thanks.

Rick

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Sun May 04, 2014 4:25 pm

karirick wrote:
metanium wrote:
robster80 wrote:whos got one and has put it to some use? is it as good as its hyped up to be? better than G series? i got mine in but havent decided on a rod yet so havent put it to use.
I have one in the 6 and one in the 7 gearings, and its better than the G's. I think its one of the smoothest cranking Shimanos I've ever owned. It casts really well the SVS infinity is the best centrifugal braking system Shimano has devised to date.

TT I have invested a lot of $$'s in SVS equipped reels recently. Haven't fished any of them but love the looks, weight, smoothness when reeling etc. These are Metaniums and recently a Conquest 101. It seems from recent posts that SVS is inconsistent and requires adjustments. Like most on here I consider Shimano VBS to be the all-time, most consistent casting brake system and for me has always been set and go.

Anyone have comments and thoughts on this? It is a growing concern for me, based solely on TT comments, which is who I trust most and spend money on based on comments on here. Thanks.

Rick
Not sure where you were reading that the new SVS is inconsistent. Ive reported that switching to the all white brake shoes on the Metanium caused me to backlashes at first because there was less braking force, I got used to it quickly and now can go all day without a backlash. Out of the box you can fish them like the old VBS system, 2 brakes on and adjust the spool tension and just start casting. The adjustment dial is there for fine tuning and it does it very well.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Mon May 05, 2014 1:34 am

I actually just replied to the other Curado I thread.

I don't find the cast control to be inconsistent at all. Just like any other Shimano reel I've used, the setting has slightly changed as the reel 'broke in'. Honestly, I think that is more my thumb/mind getting used to the new reel than any true change in spool braking.

I did find that going into setting the brakes with an open mind important. Set the brakes so that it works for you not by what you 'think' it should be based on other reels you've used. Out of the box, the reel is a casting machine.

stratos20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stratos20 » Mon May 05, 2014 1:45 am

I fished my new Curado I yesterday for the first time. Awesome throwing reel.
30lb braid with 1/4 ounce swim jig and trailer. Threw great!

Meleagris1
Angler
Angler

Post by Meleagris1 » Mon May 05, 2014 5:52 am

civicrr wrote:
I did find that going into setting the brakes with an open mind important. Set the brakes so that it works for you not by what you 'think' it should be based on other reels you've used.
Yes I learned this the hard way! :lol:

As far as consistency, all my new I reels are very consistent (I own 6).

karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by karirick » Mon May 05, 2014 10:06 am

My apologies then. This is great to hear and I admit all the posst run together after hour after hour of reading. I was probably focusing on the few negative posts. Thanks for your input.

I'm still super excited about a Conquest 51 if it happens.