Shimano Pitching/Punching/frogging Reels

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
joeim8
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Shimano Pitching/Punching/frogging Reels

Post by joeim8 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:31 am

Hello all,

I want to get a few new reels for my pitching and punching rods. I was looking at getting either the shimano cores in 7:1 or the metanium in 7:1. My question is will these reels hold up to heavy bait tactics like flipping/punching? I really like these reels because of the weight obviously but also for short line techniques like flipping/pitching/ punching even frogging they don't waste line because of thier low line capacity however I really never considered if they are durable and have enough torque for getting bass out of thick stuff?

Any insight on this topic would really be appreciated.
Thanks guys.

MTBF
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Shimano Pitching/Punching/frogging Reels

Post by MTBF » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:05 am

I love frogging in the heavy cover and for the last 3 summers have put some time and stress in on the Shimano Core 100MgFV, otherwise known as the current Core 100Mg7. This reel has been used with a not overly stout frog rod so the Core has done miles of "pulling" fish from far back in heavy slop. Occasionally pads, cattail but mostly thick cover and water with up to 8ft of depth under it.

The reel has never made a noise in the 3 summers time I have on it. For casting distance it is fine with both 50lb and 60lb Braided line. I will cast 2/3rds of the spool on long casts. I have since sold one of my MgFV's and replaced it with the new Mg7. So now I have the Core 100Mg7 on my NRX895C JWR for frogging and my 3yr old froggin 100MgFV sits on my flipping stick a BCFR894 GLX. When I owned the pair one I frogged with the other saw a few dozen flips in heavy heavy stuff with 1oz weight.

The reel has a nice handle, big grips a drag that locks down great and a Brass main gear for strength. I had my MgFV serviced and it is as smooth as new now.

Try the Core 100Mg7, it will suit you well for both casting or flipping with those heavy 3/4oz+ weights. I like the 50Mg7's for pitching with fluoro there small light and plenty strong. I just prefer the larger reel and stronger feel with the braided line and heavy cover.

MTBF

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by vinnieb729 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:08 am

I would get the Metanium. The X-ship reels are smooth and powerful under load. I would also get the 8.5:1…the extra speed is perfect for those techniques to get the bait back to you quickly…or a fish out of cover fast…plus it has a longer handle than the two slower speeds.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:21 am

Exsence would be my choice

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:10 am

USA-RET wrote:Exsence would be my choice
x2. It's built like a brick house, has 8.0 retrieve, DC control, and cheaper than Metaniums and Cores. Pitches and skips like a demon in addition to bomb casts.

$330 on Amazon with this vendor. That's a steal, relatively speaking.

http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Exsence-R ... B009GA5Y2Y

Chronarch D would be a good used choice.

Tino
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Tino » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:29 am

I have been punching/flipping and frogging with a core 101 with 7:1 gears from a D7 and it's the bomb.
80lbs braid it line - not problems whatsoever !

metanium
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by metanium » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:46 pm

USA-RET wrote:Exsence would be my choice

X3!

This is exactly what I use my Exsence for. Like mentioned previously, this is the ultimate reel for these techniques. Built like a tank, fast 8.0 gearing, DC system that's designed for braid (PE) lines. Come on!

Bryanp292
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bryanp292 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:04 pm

vinnieb729 wrote:I would get the Metanium. The X-ship reels are smooth and powerful under load. I would also get the 8.5:1…the extra speed is perfect for those techniques to get the bait back to you quickly…or a fish out of cover fast…plus it has a longer handle than the two slower speeds.
The only reason I chose the Core over the Metanium is because I preferred brass gears over aluminum when fishing heavy cover. I have a Core 100mg7 that is being used right now for frogging and flipping.