One Way Clutches

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

One Way Clutches

Post by Afrayedknot » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:05 am

Am I the only one who can't stand 1 way clutches? I haven't read much about this here which surprises me as most of us are OCD about things like bad knob tolerances or slight back play in the AR bearing. :lol:
Last edited by Afrayedknot on Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Re: One Way Clutches

Post by mark poulson » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:38 pm

What is a two way clutch?

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:47 pm

mark poulson wrote:What is a two way clutch?
One way clutch - the thumb bar sits loosely once depressed and you can move it up and down without re-engaging the reel. All shimano reels up to the G series (I believe) have this. The re-engagement of the pinion gear is not as loud/pronounced and feels "loose". I had to sell my D and E series shimanos because of this.

Two way clutch - After a cast, the thumb bar can be pushed back up to re-engage the reel. Of course this isn't practical to re-engage the reel with your thumb or something by flicking the thumb bar back up. The re-engagement of the pinion gear is louder and more fluent. It makes a solid click and there is no loose feeling. Most daiwa reels have this, and I think PF reels have it too.

The mechanical difference between the 2 clutch mechanisms is that a one way clutch has one spring, and a two way has two springs. The second spring of course is what gives the two way clutch the nicer re-engagement.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:12 am

Thanks. I never noticed if my reels have either. I have Daiwas, Shimanos, Quantums, Lews, and Pflueger. I guess I'm a reel kind person! Hahaha
While I have you "on the line", so to speak, what is the difference between SVS braking and VBS?

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by lpquick » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:30 am

Calais 201DC, Conquest 101DC & Conquest 51 all have one way clutches, am I selling them NO WAY! LOL

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:57 am

lpquick wrote:Calais 201DC, Conquest 101DC & Conquest 51 all have one way clutches, am I selling them NO WAY! LOL
I wonder if the new conquest has a 2 way clutch.. :-k

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by lpquick » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:12 am

Afrayedknot wrote:
lpquick wrote:Calais 201DC, Conquest 101DC & Conquest 51 all have one way clutches, am I selling them NO WAY! LOL
I wonder if the new conquest has a 2 way clutch.. :-k
Ian has mine for tuning, I’ll ask.

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by lpquick » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:25 am

The clutch (thumb bar) stays engaged on the new Conquest 101.

hobobob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by hobobob » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:15 pm

Even though some of my reels has two way clutch, I don't use them at all. Even if you pop the clutch using the casting button, the reel won't engage until the spool pin is fully seated in the pinyon gear slot. 2 slot pinyon gear mean maximum 1/2 spool rotation till next slot, 4 slots = 1/4 spool rotation. Imagine the pin is not in the slot, just resting on pinyon gear when you pop the clutch button and set the hook. Only way to be sure is pop the clutch by rotating the handle, you'll need to take up slack before setting the hook anyway.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:39 pm

hobobob wrote:Even though some of my reels has two way clutch, I don't use them at all. Even if you pop the clutch using the casting button, the reel won't engage until the spool pin is fully seated in the pinyon gear slot. 2 slot pinyon gear mean maximum 1/2 spool rotation till next slot, 4 slots = 1/4 spool rotation. Imagine the pin is not in the slot, just resting on pinyon gear when you pop the clutch button and set the hook. Only way to be sure is pop the clutch by rotating the handle, you'll need to take up slack before setting the hook anyway.
I've had reels that were touchy, and didn't quite reengage if I didn't push the thumb bar down all the way to begin with, but I've never had any that engaged themselves after I cast without me turning the handle, except those with a flipping switch.
If I understand what you guys are saying, it is only reels with a short spool shaft that might have two way clutches.
My two older Revo Premiers have the short shaft with the cross pin engagement design, and I don't notice any difference with them and the reels whose shafts run all the way thru to the cast control knob.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:51 pm

hobobob wrote:Even though some of my reels has two way clutch, I don't use them at all. Even if you pop the clutch using the casting button, the reel won't engage until the spool pin is fully seated in the pinyon gear slot. 2 slot pinyon gear mean maximum 1/2 spool rotation till next slot, 4 slots = 1/4 spool rotation. Imagine the pin is not in the slot, just resting on pinyon gear when you pop the clutch button and set the hook. Only way to be sure is pop the clutch by rotating the handle, you'll need to take up slack before setting the hook anyway.
I don't use them at all either. I just like the way the clutch reengages with 2 way clutches. More fluent and makes a nice click.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:35 am

Does a zillion have a 2 way clutch ? What about a D7

Afrayedknot wrote:
mark poulson wrote:What is a two way clutch?
One way clutch - the thumb bar sits loosely once depressed and you can move it up and down without re-engaging the reel. All shimano reels up to the G series (I believe) have this. The re-engagement of the pinion gear is not as loud/pronounced and feels "loose". I had to sell my D and E series shimanos because of this.

Two way clutch - After a cast, the thumb bar can be pushed back up to re-engage the reel. Of course this isn't practical to re-engage the reel with your thumb or something by flicking the thumb bar back up. The re-engagement of the pinion gear is louder and more fluent. It makes a solid click and there is no loose feeling. Most daiwa reels have this, and I think PF reels have it too.

The mechanical difference between the 2 clutch mechanisms is that a one way clutch has one spring, and a two way has two springs. The second spring of course is what gives the two way clutch the nicer re-engagement.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:45 am

I'm not 100% sure but I believe the zillion does but the d7 doesn't. The sure-fire way to test this is to press down the thumb bar and see if you can "click" it back up. If it just loosely moves back up then it is a one way clutch..

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:37 am

I just checked my Type-R, it does have a 2-way clutch, but like said above the spool doesnt engage until the handle is turned even if the thumb bar is popped up.

Durado D and Revo SX are 1 way.

seadreamnavy
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by seadreamnavy » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:20 am

It's just a one way roller.