and so it goes...

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
brokeneye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

and so it goes...

Post by brokeneye » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:54 am

...did I just see dahlberg spool up a daiwa line-counter on his musky show today?

was multi-tasking (drinking coffee in the man-cave while sitting) and only caught a glimpse.

Lawaia
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: and so it goes...

Post by Lawaia » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:08 am

I read somewhere where, I think it might have been on his own forum, where he stated Im not with Shimano and Shimano is not with me, and he was not with any particular brand “yet" for this years shows. I think people got a hint from his forum when someone asked about a Shimano rod he was using and he said there are better rods and mentioned St. Croix rods. On some of the shows (I think the Panama show) you can still see he’s using some Shimano reels along with a few Daiwa’s. IMHO Larry Dahlberg and Jose Wejebe (RIP) were Shimano’s biggest names using their gear.

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John Puckett » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:54 am

I totally agree. Larry, in my mind, was the best "salesman/spokesman" Shimano had. I was kinda upset a little when I found out they had parted ways. I let Bantam know through a PM, I was hoping others would contact Shimano as well if they were bothered. It didn't bother me when Jimmy Houston left the company so I'm not really sure why this did but it did so I just wanted to let someone at Shimano know I thought it was a bad move.

MaxZmus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MaxZmus » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:13 pm

My guess is Shimano just doesn't have enough funding allocated to sponsor everyone. Lately it seems like they are focusing more on the bass crowd. A lot of the Elite series and FLW pros are being sponsored and maybe there just wasn't enough cake left over for Larry Dahlberg.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:14 pm

Endorsements....they are what they are.