New Stella $800.00. It's time for reflection....

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

New Stella $800.00. It's time for reflection....

Post by karirick » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:17 am

TT,
Looks like the Stella FI is going for over $800. There is no chance I buy one of those, after just having picked up 3 from Gander in that ridiculous sale at X-mas (450.00 ea shipped). I'm hoping to order 2 of the shallow spools if they fit the FE though and be done for the year.

I can't believe we are now at roughly $1500 per combo with tax, for a Stella/NRX (arguably the worlds best/most expensive USDM freshwater fishing combo).

Man I'm really starting to get depressed with what I have morphed into over the years (and I am nothing compared to the TT legends whose gear I drool over all these years). I spend more time on Tackle Tour than I do fishing or with my wife and kids it seems.

I don't tweet or do facebook, but I can't go a day without logging in here. I literally spend 2-4 hours a day.

I think 2014 might be a year of reflection for me to see if I have lost sight of what's important.

Sorry for the rant, but I am seeing more and more homeless living under bridges here in NOLA, and yet I continue to think of ways I can upgrade my already 10k est worth of rods/reels. Damn. Anyone else feeling at all like this, maybe you 40 something yr olds like me??

Sorry if this is offensive to anyone on here.

Rick

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: New Stella $800.00. It's time for reflection....

Post by falcon » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:34 am

Not 40 but I agree with ya. Sooner of later you just gotta stop playing catch up with the latest gear and just go fish.

If I really needed a spinning reel I'd rather say spend 200 and save the 600 for fueling the boat ramp fees and hotel cost.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:06 am

I have rods that I have yet to catch fish on or for that matter even see water.. I have a boat that is broken beyond repair..

Ain't no way in H E double hockey sticks I am paying $800 for a spinning reel. :lol:

Gulfcoastwader
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Gulfcoastwader » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:48 am

I thought on Plat they were about $685 at the latest exchange rate (?)

I hear you, though. As I get older I take scratched up reels and upgrade them and get as much satisfaction or more. Rarely do I buy a brand new reel anymore, and if I do it I pay less than MSRP.

mikeysam
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mikeysam » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:33 am

karirick wrote:TT,
Looks like the Stella FI is going for over $800. There is no chance I buy one of those, after just having picked up 3 from Gander in that ridiculous sale at X-mas (450.00 ea shipped). I'm hoping to order 2 of the shallow spools if they fit the FE though and be done for the year.

I can't believe we are now at roughly $1500 per combo with tax, for a Stella/NRX (arguably the worlds best/most expensive USDM freshwater fishing combo).

Man I'm really starting to get depressed with what I have morphed into over the years (and I am nothing compared to the TT legends whose gear I drool over all these years). I spend more time on Tackle Tour than I do fishing or with my wife and kids it seems.

I don't tweet or do facebook, but I can't go a day without logging in here. I literally spend 2-4 hours a day.

I think 2014 might be a year of reflection for me to see if I have lost sight of what's important.

Sorry for the rant, but I am seeing more and more homeless living under bridges here in NOLA, and yet I continue to think of ways I can upgrade my already 10k est worth of rods/reels. Damn. Anyone else feeling at all like this, maybe you 40 something yr olds like me??

Rick
Thank you.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:46 am

I have been going the route of "obsolete and/or old school" the last few years, and am happy with it.

Don't see that changing as I have given up on keeping up with the latest and greatest on many things, not just feeshin' gear.

karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by karirick » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:04 pm

I appreciate you guys replying and sorry again for the rant. I am a career military man and have the OCD trait that a lot of us have. I am proud of my gear and I take care of it as well as possible, but for some reason lately I have been feeling like my priorities are out of whack. It's never enough, and I am playing the catch up game, pretty much with myself. My closest life long friends (my wife included) think I'm crazy and just can't understand why I can't stop pursuing perfection. I think it might be time to push away from the computer and find a better investment for my money.

I'm pretty sure I could never buy a rod and reel again and my gear would outlive me. Maybe I will take a few years off from buying and see where everything is then.

Anyways thanks for your perspective fellas. Appreciate it.

Rick

MRQturbo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MRQturbo » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:51 pm

i think you should stop thinking and get out fishing with all that nice gear you've worked hard for and accumulated....life is too short...get out and fish......get your kids into fishing...maybe they will share the same passion that you do and you get quality family time also...

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:29 pm

Stellas on sale for $524....now go buy another one!!!

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:20 pm

Rick
Haha, it's an addiction. Alright, in my case I first started buying and using, now I'm part of the distribution chain and yes I constantly get high off this supply :-) luckily this has just been rods for the moment.

It's funny lately I've been a lot more aggressive in my style if fishing and it really does show flaws and weaknesses in each reel.
And I found that newer ain't always better...

zalan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by zalan » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:47 pm

Rick
Actually you are not alone :) I simply cannot afford the highest end gear, but I still did spend too much. This is not only on rods and reels, but lures and other stuff as well.
What I did is that sold the Certate with a bit profit what I bought from Tacklewarehouse recently and ordered the Pflueger Patriarch Magnesium equivalent here in EU (I get special prices on Purefishing stuff) instead. I was also looking to add a casting reel and I ended up getting a used round ABU from eBay. I still need to add a rod which I did not decide on it yet, but it won't be the highest end for sure. Also my New Year's resolution is that I do not buy a single lure this year. I have way too many.
To fill the void which buying tackle left, I started out with building lures. I do it with very basic tools, this is really hand made stuff and this does not cost too much and takes a lot of time :) I'm still in the phase where I throw away what I do as it is not good yet, but there is a hope I will make some nice ones someday.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:02 pm

Rick
Yeah, but have you held the new Stella? :shock: :lol:

In all seriousness, we all know that it doesn't require expensive tackle to enjoy the spirit of fishing with friends and family, or a solo trip for some spiritual refreshment. You have recently purchased 3 FE's, amazing enthusiast level reels, that you picked up at a great price at $450 each - enjoy them, who cares if the new FI is the new and improved version? Do you think it would make you feel better to spend less than 2 - 4 hours a day looking at the gear on TT and more of that time enjoying the very nice gear you have for fishing or with your family?

I rarely post any of my tackle anymore because it's not a contest for me as I'm genuinely happy when other folks get the same charge out of their gear that I do. That said, I work very hard for what I have, and I have no guilt whatsoever when I look at my tackle collection because I've earned it, period. When did nice fishing tackle become something one should feel guilty about?

On to the tackle in question here. In my opinion, there wasn't a quantum leap between FD and FE, there was between FB and FD, but FE to FI seems to be such another leap. I'm in the business, so I plan to get a new Stella FI for some field testing soon. It feels absolutely incredible in hand and I expect that feeling to extend to time on the water. Necessary? Absolutely not, but this is Tackle Tour, where enthusiasts come to exchange information about fine tackle. I can see it making a pretty impressive mate with one of the new Megabass X7 spinning rods...

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:22 pm

bronzefly wrote:

Rick
. I can see it making a pretty impressive mate with one of the new Megabass X7 spinning rods...
I was thinking about the same thing...one of these beauties and the Simoom would be a beautiful thing.

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:04 pm

bronzefly wrote:Necessary? Absolutely not, but this is Tackle Tour, where enthusiasts come to exchange information about fine tackle.
This is the bottom line here, IMO. On this forum, it's much more the norm to be chasing the latest and greatest. So if you're spending 2-4 hours a day here, you're likely going to continue to be buying lots of new stuff you probably don't really "need". ;)

Other forums that are more oriented towards fishing often kind of put folks down for feeling they "need" the level of tackle most take for granted here.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:38 am

karirick wrote: Sorry for the rant, but I am seeing more and more homeless living under bridges here in NOLA, and yet I continue to think of ways I can upgrade my already 10k est worth of rods/reels. Damn. Anyone else feeling at all like this, maybe you 40 something yr olds like me??

Rick
Everytime you see a homeless person, do you feel so guilty that you want to sell your gear? I sure as he'll don't!