Looking for a workhorse

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Looking for a workhorse

Post by dragon1 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:55 am

Greenstealth wrote:
dragon1 wrote:Workhorse for what weight lures and lines?
12Lb copoly and usually 3/8-3/4
Granted that you don't intend to use heavy resistance bigger bladed spinnerbaits, you now come down to preference of IPTs, or gear ratio. Next, find price, design/ergos you enjoy, and the brand you trust. Also, there is a difference between continual moving power techs, vs topwater vs jerkbaits vs plastics/jigs and frogs.

Regardless, I am assuming you want slightly higher IPTs/gear ratio, low profile and lighter type overall weight based upon your listing of your OEM Revos and your consideration of the new CH Ci4?

- Add CH D7 or D5, Met MG7, current gen Met, New Antares and Exsence DC.

- Daiwa Tatula both JDM and USDM as they offer different gear ratios and relatively light weight.

- Zillion HLC is light enough and is tough, other Zillions USDM will be heavier, but offer more IPT/Gear Ratio choices.

- Round Reel with higher gear ratios can be had, ie, the current popular trend of exchanging the PX68 brass gears into the CVX/CVZ Daiwa Millionaire platforms, or for that matter now, an Alphas platform. I'ZE Light, Monoblock varieties and Ringas would be exceptional, esp with the availability of spools like the Steez SV 105 and 1000.

- If you prefer Shimano for round reels, there is the current availability (granted exceedingly difficult to procure) of high speed gears for the Conquest 100.

- Abu Morrum ZX IVCB and Mag, both USDM and JDM, are tough and provide two good gear ratios and spool sizes. Heck, even the Morrum SX Mag and S2 Mags would do well...and all are very light for a metal round reel.

For me, a TDZ tuned up with carbontex, bearing & spool upgrade and some handle bling...is one very reliable, tough and excellent performing reel that I could use every day.

Otherwise, the perfect, lightweight, ultra tough, reliable, awesome performing, excellent ergos, supreme quality and engineering Low Profile reel in factory spec, has not been made yet...well, until Daiwa gives us:

Z1016 MG I'ZE with SV spool options with TWS and in 5.1:1, 6.4:1, 7.3:1, 8.1:1...or sumpfin' like that! 8-)

Good luck.

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:08 am

No doubt the most durable real I've ever used is my Shimano Calcutta TE. The reel is built completely out of aluminum,no cheap plastic or some composit like on a lot of the newer reels. The longevity of this real is measured in decades not years, if you don't believe me check out the review they did on tackle tour. I Beat the hell out of mine for 10 seasons and I just recently sold it and I only upgraded it because I wanted the GT model with the shimano free spool to cast further. Unfortunately they don't make this reel anymore so you'll probably have to find one on ebay. Or you could find you could buy the Shimono conquest in Japan but it's a little more expensive I think.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshimanocalcuttate.html
Last edited by Markanthony404 on Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Greenstealth
Angler
Angler

Post by Greenstealth » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:19 am

Thanks for the advice. Most of my bass reels are high speed side from crank bait rod. I look at my musky combos and I have 3 very purposeful built combos and I use them all. My bass stuff, I have one purpose built combo that I barely ever use and basically a bunch of hodgepodge that I use to do everything else. The mgx sitsi on a 6'8" legend ex mf and I use it for just about everything. I find myself throwing tubes and t rigs with the occasional jerk bait or topwater. I have a bps pq with the lower gears on a mm rod for slow thumping cranks but I rarely throw them. The rest of my reels that I use right now are a bps carbonlite, and the mgx and premier in question and they are all mounted on mf or mh rods. I guess I was just planning on getting my bass gear in order. It's nice having a dedicated combo for each technique.

I know all about the calcutta te's I have two of them in the 400 size on my musky set ups. I'm just not sure if I want a round reel for bass.

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:34 am

Greenstealth wrote:
I know all about the calcutta te's I have two of them in the 400 size on my musky set ups. I'm just not sure if I want a round reel for bass.
If you're dead set on low profile I would stick with Shimano, from my experience they are the most durable & reliable reels. The Calais 100a would be a great high speed reel, but that's another one you have to find on eBay. The finish on the Callais is great, it can definitely take a beating. The only gripe I had with my Callais is the reel is difficult to take apart. I know you said you don't really want a round real for bass but you should definitely check out the Calcutta TE 100, it's smaller than the 200 and it's amazing how well it fits in your hand. If you want something new maybe check out the new chronarchs, some places were selling them at discount, my local Gander Mountain is also selling the Curado's for $30 off, that's a good deal. The Curado would be a great choice if you don't want to spend a ton of cash but still want a good performing reel.
Last edited by Markanthony404 on Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:41 am

I have owned four Calais reels...granted the one still in my arsenal is a JDM Antares AR.

I have replaced more parts on my Shimano BCs than my Daiwas, FWIW...both times it was the levelwind pawl. Once this past season on my Antares AR (purchased here, used sparingly, and in MINT condition) and on my Calcutta TE GT 100 from a few years ago (and this reel was less than a year old). Otherwise, I have never had a major part failure that was major on my Daiwas, Shimanos or Abus while on the water - granted I don't fish for big bruisers like musky, salmon, striper and the like day in and day out.

My point is, that Daiwa makes some very durable and reliable LP reels and round reels as well. Add in Abu for round reels for sure, especially when considering the Morrum M line.

I bring this up as you will have more choices by keeping your options open to more than just one make of reel.

Greenstealth
Angler
Angler

Post by Greenstealth » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:48 am

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't impressed with how well the shimanos have treated me on my musky rod. 2 Calcutta tes and a 300 ej and they have been flawless. I know nothing about the zillion. I went on ebay today to get an idea of how much they are going for. It seemed overwhelming at first trying to sort out the different models etc. I'm trying to get a feel for how much I should be spending on a zillion if I get one. The prices were all over the place. Im ignorant on the subject, it's how I ended up with the revo's that I'm sort of regretting. I'm really curious about the ci4, there is just nothing out there on it. No one has said a word bad about it, yet. I'm assuming the new curado will be the same way.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:30 am

Greenstealth wrote:I'd be lying if I said I wasn't impressed with how well the shimanos have treated me on my musky rod. 2 Calcutta tes and a 300 ej and they have been flawless. I know nothing about the zillion. I went on ebay today to get an idea of how much they are going for. It seemed overwhelming at first trying to sort out the different models etc. I'm trying to get a feel for how much I should be spending on a zillion if I get one. The prices were all over the place. Im ignorant on the subject, it's how I ended up with the revo's that I'm sort of regretting. I'm really curious about the ci4, there is just nothing out there on it. No one has said a word bad about it, yet. I'm assuming the new curado will be the same way.
My bet is that the new Ci4 Shimano reels will be fine and plenty durable, light, reliable and perform very well.

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:44 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Greenstealth wrote:
My bet is that the new Ci4 Shimano reels will be fine and plenty durable, light, reliable and perform very well.
The only CI4 reel I have used is the shimano chronarch CI4 , and I've looked at a few others at cabelas. The Chronarch is a great performing reel but the new CI4 material does not feel a solid as aluminum or magnesium . It just feels cheap to me, I know that's the trend of going lighter but I really doubt that a lot of these lighter reels will be around 10 or 15 years down the road, I guess only time will tell.
Last edited by Markanthony404 on Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

offdahook
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by offdahook » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:01 pm

Markanthony404 wrote:
dragon1 wrote:
Greenstealth wrote:
The only CI4 reel I have used is the shimano chronarch CI4 , and I've looked at a few others at cabelas. The Chronarch is a great performing reel but the new CI4 material does not feel a solid as aluminum. It just feels cheap I guess, I know that's the trend of going lighter but I really doubt that a lot of these lighter reels will be around 10 or 15 years down the road, I guess only time will tell.
+1 press down hard top frame it will flex what a pos

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:03 pm

Well unfortunately I can say the Ci4+ is very durable as I slipped on a wet rock one day fishing on some riprap and came down on my reel :doh: Broke my rod and thought the reel was smashed for sure after coming right down on a rock hard but the only damage is a small scratch in the paint, even got the magnifying glass out to check for cracks, there were none. Very surprised it survived this but still works perfectly. Hate that I scratched it but can deal with that. Just thought my pain could shed some light on this.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:11 pm

Markanthony404 wrote:
dragon1 wrote:
Greenstealth wrote:
The only CI4 reel I have used is the shimano chronarch CI4 , and I've looked at a few others at cabelas. The Chronarch is a great performing reel but the new CI4 material does not feel a solid as aluminum or magnesium . It just feels cheap to me, I know that's the trend of going lighter but I really doubt that a lot of these lighter reels will be around 10 or 15 years down the road, I guess only time will tell.
Ci4+ is basically graphite, and graphite = cheapy. If the new curado I turns out to be good in terms of performance, it will be nicer in my eyes than the ci4+ cause I like the feel of aluminum. Also, it has the escape hatch feature where the sideplate swings, which is something that I really like. The non-handle sideplate on the ci4 is a huge turn off for me cause I don't like the placement of the dial or the looks of it, and the sideplate detaches completely. I believe this is the first chronarch ever where the sideplate detaches rather than swing. =;

I have always wondered what ci4+ actually stands for.. :-k

OP, any of the reels named so far will do you well. I am going to add to the list the daiwa tatula which has a very similar build to the daiwa zillion. It also has the t-wing which is a fun feature as well. Either would suit you very well.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:27 pm

Depends on how and where it is used...and the grade of the graphite and its design.

Whisker SS Tournaments are graphite and nearly indestructible as well.

This said, nearly all of my BC reel purchases the last couple of years are older and "outdated" all metal designs.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:35 pm

Afrayedknot wrote:
Markanthony404 wrote:
dragon1 wrote:
Greenstealth wrote:
Ci4+ is basically graphite, and graphite = cheapy. If the new curado I turns out to be good in terms of performance, it will be nicer in my eyes than the ci4+ cause I like the feel of aluminum. Also, it has the escape hatch feature where the sideplate swings, which is something that I really like. The non-handle sideplate on the ci4 is a huge turn off for me cause I don't like the placement of the dial or the looks of it, and the sideplate detaches completely. I believe this is the first chronarch ever where the sideplate detaches rather than swing. =;

OP, any of the reels named so far will do you well. I am going to add to the list the daiwa tatula which has a very similar build to the daiwa zillion. It also has the t-wing which is a fun feature as well. Either would suit you very well.
The dial is actually so small and recessed that no matter how you palm the reel it is impossible to touch it, even with your finger wrapped around the front of the reel. Funny as I found the dial on the Tatula to be very uncomfortable and out of place. I agree the Curado should be good for the money though. Might want to check out a metanium also, very nice reel.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:59 pm

Afrayedknot wrote:
Markanthony404 wrote:
dragon1 wrote:
Greenstealth wrote:

Carbon infusion and 4 is the number of electrons in the carbon atom. I build thrust reversers out of graphite at work everyday. In the right implementation, graphite is stronger and lighter than aluminum. The lack of corrosion is a great selling point as well. I tried bending the CI4, I couldn't find a weak spot on it.

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:11 pm

dragon1 wrote:Depends on how and where it is used...and the grade of the graphite and its design.

Whisker SS Tournaments are graphite and nearly indestructible as well.

This said, nearly all of my BC reel purchases the last couple of years are older and "outdated" all metal designs.

I will have to gracefully disagree with you about the whisker SS tournament reels being indestructible , back in the 90s I broke the anti-reverses on two of them. I definitely don't miss the old designs of having back play in the anti reverse. I also remember having trouble with at least 2 team Daiwa Baitcasters. I bought a Shimano soon after that & haven't turned back. I definitely agree that metal designs are the way to go.