Looking for a workhorse

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Looking for a workhorse

Post by dragon1 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:06 am

barrys wrote:reliability,smoothness,long lasting,built like a tank..............Calais period !!!!!!!!!!
Calais is up there, but when ease of maintenance and simplification of design is added in, I prefer the Calcuttas/Conquest in Shimano's lineup.

barrys
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by barrys » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:27 am

Wouldn't argue with you there at all I love my Calcutta's too but I thought The poster was wanting a low profile reel

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:29 am

barrys wrote:Wouldn't argue with you there at all I love my Calcutta's too but I thought The poster was wanting a low profile reel
Yes...and lighter than what most all metal reels can offer. ;)

Greenstealth
Angler
Angler

Post by Greenstealth » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:40 pm

Its an impossible compromise I know. Thats why I'm here asking you guys for help :D .

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:58 pm

Workhorse reels? Curado and Zillion. Also now the Tatula. I have 2 of the 3, with the Zillion on the way. Finally get to see what all the fuss is about. Don't think you can go wrong with any of them. You really don't need to spend a ton of money for a workhorse, but if you can, than why not, right? For the average person, I think the best bang for the buck would be the Tatula or a CuradoE. Until the new Curado hits the market and is tested to its abilities, I would say those are the best options around.

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:39 pm

mylobass wrote:Lightweight and workhorse really dont go together. Why is it we have become so feminized that we cant hold in our hands what our fathers and grandfathers could handle all day. Im perfectly happy with tricked out old ambassaduers. I've found no low profile reel, no matter what the cost, that could stand up to what I require of it or its manufacturer. What about a B series Calcutta, if you want more refinement in a "workhorse" reel?
I agree, you probably can't have the best of both worlds, pick one that's the most important you.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:28 pm

Necromancing for the "Modern Day Cowboy"...

Hard to say what I would compare to the OGs with lower gear ratios that tend to last longer than the higher gear ratio reels of today.

What say y'all?
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:26 pm

1st gen Tatulas hold up well and the paint is exceptionaly durable. The Tatula 150/200 is the same reel but I'm not sure how the matte paint on those holds up on those over time.

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:34 pm

I'm still rolling with my OG Zillions nearly 10 years later. Added a few SV103s since then as well.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:55 pm

I've found that reels with brass main gears last.