Daiwa z

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Yetti
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Daiwa z

Post by Yetti » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:58 am

Picked up a z200 on the weird sale that wasn't a sale, ill be putting it on a dx745 for jigs am I going in the right direction?

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa z

Post by Afrayedknot » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:51 am

Tacklewarehouse email me about it and it was a planned sale. Not sure why they didn't advertise..

I think it has a bit much line capacity for jigs IMO, and it also weighs 9.9 oz so it will be heavy to use, and probably will throw off the balance. I would put it on a swim bait rig with 20 lb line.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:11 am

While more than capable of throwing jigs, it's a bit overkill. The Z is geared more towards big swimbaits, and things of that nature.

Yetti
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Yetti » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:14 am

Might have to out it on the c-rig rod and go from there

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:33 am

Haha looking at how the site slowed down minutes after the sale started. There was no need to advertise...they got TTF for that.
I look forward to fishing mine for swimbaits <5oz, A-Rigs and bigger cranks.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:42 am

If you can handle the weight and ergos/size, anything from 1/4oz (with shallow spool option) to ~ 5oz is in the wheelhouse of the Z. 8-)

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:43 pm

At that price everybody should have one. They're so smooth, will cast just about anything.

thelatrobe33
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by thelatrobe33 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:22 am

While it can fundamentally work for jig fishing it's certainly not ideal. It's best suited to deep cranks and swimbaits based on my experience. It's not a HUGE reel, but it's rather wide. I wouldn't like to palm it when jig fishing. When I fish cranks and swimbaits with it I generally hold the rod near the foregrip as opposed to palming.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:54 am

BigG wrote:At that price everybody should have one. They're so smooth, will cast just about anything.
True that. It's a phenomenonal 'big' reel. I feel like I stole it at $350. Crazy distance, very tame, and I'm in love with that 3D breaking, especially after giving it a workout this morning in heavy winds. It's so precise and useful.
If Daiwa made these in small size/ regular size... Id switch out damn near my entire reel lineup for em.
Thinking of miniature Z's with SV spools makes me drool.

As for using it with jigs- it's a little big for me but I guess it'd work fine. It'd help if you had big hands.
The first time I went to the tackletrap, bronzefly showed me his SRD. He had the Z mounted on it & was using it for punching.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:36 am

thelatrobe33 wrote:While it can fundamentally work for jig fishing it's certainly not ideal. It's best suited to deep cranks and swimbaits based on my experience. It's not a HUGE reel, but it's rather wide. I wouldn't like to palm it when jig fishing. When I fish cranks and swimbaits with it I generally hold the rod near the foregrip as opposed to palming.
In my hands, it palms as well as the CU 200 D and most round reels in the 200+ sizes. I love mine for big spinnerbaits of 3/4 - 2oz, swimbaits upwards of ~ 5oz or less, swimjigs, lipless rattlebaits, big buzzbaits and big walking baits/rip baits.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:45 am

spookybaits wrote:
BigG wrote:At that price everybody should have one. They're so smooth, will cast just about anything.
True that. It's a phenomenonal 'big' reel. I feel like I stole it at $350. Crazy distance, very tame, and I'm in love with that 3D breaking, especially after giving it a workout this morning in heavy winds. It's so precise and useful.
If Daiwa made these in small size/ regular size... Id switch out damn near my entire reel lineup for em.

As for using it with jigs- it's a little big for me but I guess it'd work fine. It'd help if you had big hands.
The first time I went to the tackletrap, bronzefly showed me his SRD. He had the Z mounted on it & was using it for punching.
Your so right about a smaller Z.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:51 am

BigG wrote:
spookybaits wrote:

Agreed. The Z I just got during the same sale is a little big for my hands so it won't be my gamer except for very large baits. A 100 sized Z that used 1016/1012/1008/SV1000 Spools would be phenomenal. It would the be THE true successor to the Zillion, much more so than the Tatula.

Get on that Daiwa!

DaveJ

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:19 pm

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
BigG wrote:
spookybaits wrote:

X3 Heck it would replace my Zillion and Steezs! Only my Pixys and Conquest would survive.

Agreed. The Z I just got during the same sale is a little big for my hands so it won't be my gamer except for very large baits. A 100 sized Z that used 1016/1012/1008/SV1000 Spools would be phenomenal. It would the be THE true successor to the Zillion, much more so than the Tatula.

Get on that Daiwa!

DaveJ
X3 It would replace my Zillions and Steezs!

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:41 pm

I've been sayin' this since I got my first Z2020H a couple months after it originally came out:

The perfect, lightweight, ultra tough, reliable, awesome performing, excellent ergos, supreme quality and engineering Low Profile reel in factory spec, has not been made yet...well, until Daiwa gives us:

Z1016 MG I'ZE with SV spool options with TWS and in 5.1:1, 6.4:1, 7.3:1, 8.1:1...or sumpfin' like that! 8-) :evil22: :big grin:

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:50 pm

dragon1 wrote:I've been sayin' this since I got my first Z2020H a couple months after it originally came out:

The perfect, lightweight, ultra tough, reliable, awesome performing, excellent ergos, supreme quality and engineering Low Profile reel in factory spec, has not been made yet...well, until Daiwa gives us:

Z1016 MG I'ZE with SV spool options with TWS and in 5.1:1, 6.4:1, 7.3:1, 8.1:1...or sumpfin' like that! 8-) :evil22: :big grin:
Forget the mg so us saltwater fisho's can use it too. Has to be aluminium.