TD Luna or CV-Z

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
buster 2900
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: TD Luna or CV-Z

Post by buster 2900 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:45 pm

africanbass wrote:Now add this to the mix \:D/
http://all.daiwa21.com/fishing/item/ree ... index.html
If I managed the conversion right, that beauty is priced at about $295 USD. That would be a terrific bargain if it's correct.

alex09
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by alex09 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:24 pm

africanbass wrote:Now add this to the mix \:D/
http://all.daiwa21.com/fishing/item/ree ... index.html
That looks like a Daiwa Luna with a red-anodized spool, swept drag star and handle, and extra holes on the top bar. The features are identical to a Luna:

http://www.daiwa.com/Reel/detail.aspx?ID=11

ninjaman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ninjaman » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:08 pm

The color is the same as Luna, but looks to be designed like a CV-Z. It does not have the exposed handle side plate screws but hidden as the Millionaire series. What is great about this is that spare parts for monoblocks, IZ'E Light etc. will be available for probably another ten years or so.

buster 2900
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by buster 2900 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:37 am

I don't see the Luna's external Mag/Z dial on the JDM Millionaire. Does any know what this is about? What I mean is does anyone know anything about the type of brake on the reel?

ninjaman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ninjaman » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:29 am

buster 2900 wrote:I don't see the Luna's external Mag/Z dial on the JDM Millionaire. Does any know what this is about?
My guess is that it either has got internally adjustable MagForce (like most CV-Z millionaire) or more likely centrifugal brake like the other boat models.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:11 am

Baik wrote:The EAS system on the luna beats the cv-z for me hands down....... BUT..... let's not forget about the club-m EAS system that was available for the cv-z. If u were able to get ur hands on one of those you've got urself a bad ass cv-z. IMO the ultimate jdm luna.
There are USDM CVZ versions and JDM CVZ versions....JDM limited editions have the EAS.

yogidozer1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by yogidozer1 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:56 pm

ninjaman wrote:
buster 2900 wrote:I don't see the Luna's external Mag/Z dial on the JDM Millionaire. Does any know what this is about?
My guess is that it either has got internally adjustable MagForce (like most CV-Z millionaire) or more likely centrifugal brake like the other boat models.
http://www.daiwa.com/Reel/detail.aspx?ID=11

buster 2900
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by buster 2900 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:44 am

I heard elsewhere that the new JDM Millionaire was designed for inshore jigging and has no cast controls. It sure seems to me there is a cast control knob on the reel in the photo. Can anyone confirm that it’s incorrect that the reel isn’t a regular baitcast reel? I know it should be obvious from the discussion, but I’d like to hear an informed comment on this.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:49 am

buster 2900 wrote:I heard elsewhere that the new JDM Millionaire was designed for inshore jigging and has no cast controls. It sure seems to me there is a cast control knob on the reel in the photo. Can anyone confirm that it’s incorrect that the reel isn’t a regular baitcast reel? I know it should be obvious from the discussion, but I’d like to hear an informed comment on this.
The new kohga has a mag dial, yet no braking system.. It very well could have no mag braking system. :|

buster 2900
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by buster 2900 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:25 pm

Afrayedknot wrote:
buster 2900 wrote:The new kohga has a mag dial, yet no braking system.. It very well could have no mag braking system. :|
Thanks for the info. Wish I could read the details on the Daiwa site. The info I learned was from a reliable source, but obviously the reel has a tension control. So it must have been a reference to something about the brake. I don't know. Hopefully, more info will become available. I would seriously consider this reel if it is a regular baitcast reel, with cast controls, and if it becomes available to U.S. buyers.

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MondayMonkey » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:47 am

Are those extra 4 bearings on the CV-Z just handle/knob bearings? I know my Luna 300 has no knob bearings to boost the count. What about the smaller sizes? I've been pondering picking up a luna 103 and I don't mind paying $27 to up the bearing count to match a CV-Z if it's just 2 minute installable knob bearings.

ninjaman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ninjaman » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:34 pm

MondayMonkey wrote:Are those extra 4 bearings on the CV-Z just handle/knob bearings? I know my Luna 300 has no knob bearings to boost the count. What about the smaller sizes? I've been pondering picking up a luna 103 and I don't mind paying $27 to up the bearing count to match a CV-Z if it's just 2 minute installable knob bearings.
The CV-Z also has got a ball bearing on the handle stack between the star drag and IAR which the Luna don't have. You can buy a shorter IAR sleeve from a CV-Z and install a bearing on a Luna 103. I believe there is a thread on that mod somwhere.
On Luna's original handle there is only room for one bearing on each knob. The post is a bit wider at the base to prevent bearing/knob upgrades ](*,)

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MondayMonkey » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:30 am

ninjaman wrote:
MondayMonkey wrote:Are those extra 4 bearings on the CV-Z just handle/knob bearings? I know my Luna 300 has no knob bearings to boost the count. What about the smaller sizes? I've been pondering picking up a luna 103 and I don't mind paying $27 to up the bearing count to match a CV-Z if it's just 2 minute installable knob bearings.
The CV-Z also has got a ball bearing on the handle stack between the star drag and IAR which the Luna don't have. You can buy a shorter IAR sleeve from a CV-Z and install a bearing on a Luna 103. I believe there is a thread on that mod somwhere.
On Luna's original handle there is only room for one bearing on each knob. The post is a bit wider at the base to prevent bearing/knob upgrades ](*,)
Ah thank you :) Well there is another $140 haha. I'm not quite sure why I just bought a $140 handle for a trout and kokanee trolling reel.... Oh wait ya I know why, it's because I spend too much time on TT :lol: :lol: :lol:

One more quick question is the levelwind worm shaft bearing supported?

ninjaman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ninjaman » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:03 am

MondayMonkey wrote:
Ah thank you :) Well there is another $140 haha. I'm not quite sure why I just bought a $140 handle for a trout and kokanee trolling reel.... Oh wait ya I know why, it's because I spend too much time on TT :lol: :lol: :lol:

One more quick question is the levelwind worm shaft bearing supported?
A $140 well spent :) I mean, what would the world be with stock reels?

The levelwind is not ball bearing supported and can't be upgraded.

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MondayMonkey » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:38 pm

Well my NIB Luna showed up today and it's got a nice dent in the top of the handle side sideplate..... an actual dent. So it has to go to back. If it weren't for the bottle of Jack next to me this would've ruined my night.