13 Fishing reels????

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Fishwhittler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: 13 Fishing reels????

Post by Fishwhittler » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:33 pm

Country of origin?

LPFC
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by LPFC » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:41 pm

Fishwhittler wrote:Country of origin?
Made in Korea

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:58 pm

LPFC wrote:
Fishwhittler wrote:Country of origin?
Made in Korea
With from scratch all-original 13 Fishing stuff....original pics do look promising vs CH Ci4

RiverRatKD
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by RiverRatKD » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:00 am

I'm just curious why there is so much interest on these ?

This isn't a proven company is it ?

They certainly don't seem to have any proprietary technology

They aren't making them themselves ?

Not trying to be negative ...just asking if I'm missing something

I don't get all the OEM discussion on here either

Just seems to be better options out there from proven manufacturers.

brokeneye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by brokeneye » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:35 am

is that grease inside the frame's backplate or just machining?

hard to tell.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:39 am

RiverRatKD wrote:I'm just curious why there is so much interest on these ?

13 Fishing introduced a two lines of fishing rods that were quite successful in a very short time. Competitively priced and offering excellent performance.

This isn't a proven company is it ?

They seem to have proven themselves with their rods. A main reason their reel line was highly anticipated

Aside from Daiwa and Shimano, and Okuma, few have proprietary designs. Most other reels use some variations on their theme.

They aren't making them themselves ?

Aside from a very few, most reels are manufactured in another company's factory and sold as different brands

Not trying to be negative ...just asking if I'm missing something

I don't get all the OEM discussion on here wither

Since you mentioned proprietary designs earlier, there was discussion trying to determine in who's factory these reels were being made. Also whether these reels were original designs or merely a re-branded existing model from another company's line. Debate also included whether a reel should be called OEM if it's completely designed by one company while being build by another existing company.

Just seems to be better options out there from proven manufacturers.

Very possible you may be correct, but we won't know for sure until the reels are tested, compared and evaluated. If a company can market a product that offers as much or more for the same or less money than it's competitors, then they should find their niche and be successful.

Reels are a tough market to break into since there are so many good ones available in every price range.

Just my take, I could be wrong :D

LPFC
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by LPFC » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:07 am

brokeneye wrote:is that grease inside the frame's backplate or just machining?

hard to tell.
That is grease. There was a TON of grease inside the reel. More than I've ever seen in a reel.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:40 am

dragon1 wrote:With from scratch all-original 13 Fishing stuff....original pics do look promising vs CH Ci4
I suppose I should add one of these :P, along with one of these :roll:, for clarification of "tone".

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:31 am

Aside from Daiwa and Shimano, and Okuma, few have proprietary designs. Most other reels use some variations on their theme.
I think ABU was the original designer on much that is standard on modern reels. They just never pushed it to the limits. Daiwa and Shimano took a lot of it and ran.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:41 am

Johnny A wrote:

I think ABU was the original designer on much that is standard on modern reels. They just never pushed it to the limits. Daiwa and Shimano took a lot of it and ran.
Indeed...if they had more $$$$$$ flow and a more "modernized-in-thought" design dept., to match their exceedingly exceptional engineering minds and manufacturing capabilities - WOW!!!

Original Abus and Abu-Garcia products are still at a point that the Two-Headed Rising Sun Giants have not matched, IMO.

HEG/oversized main gearing? See Morrum line-up first (granted see SW reel beforehand)

X-Ship or whatever else? See the Abu-Garcia anti-distortion spool (ADS) design (upwards of three bearings to support the spool)

Stella engineering exceptional? See the Suveran overall ingenious engineering and BUILD QUALITY that is still unmatched by anyone today.

There is a reason that custom-built and tuned Abu designs that are several decades old; will still outshine the latest and greatest JDM gear with all the fancy spools, bearings, and braking mechanisms...in my book anyway. Stupid high cost and near impossible to procure are the main challenges to getting these type Abus into the general public's hands.

goosed
Angler
Angler

Post by goosed » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:07 am

Just another pick your parts from our catalogue,we will put your name on the side, built reel from Tica.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:08 am

goosed wrote:Just another pick your parts from our catalogue,we will put your name on the side, built reel from Tica.
Hmmm...that's interesting. :-k

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:14 am

Ehhh, this discussion could be a template for many technologies. Just because the vast majority of vehicles use similar technologies - internal combustion engines, transmissions, braking systems - that does not put them all on a level playing field.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the new kid on the block. That's the path the big three automakers took way back when the first Japanese vehicles began showing up here. The big three were fat and complacent, and as a result got their azzes handed to them 8-)

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:01 am

goosed wrote:Just another pick your parts from our catalogue,we will put your name on the side, built reel from Tica.
That's a pretty lofty claim considering they don't even remotely resemble any reel in Tica's lineup.

I'd be more apt to say they were a joint effort between 13 and Okuma.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:15 am

These reels may be very similar to Okuma's reels, but that doesn't really matter. The fact is 13 fishing has a large fan base due to the popular omen rod, and these reels will sell. Maybe in a few years 13 will become an OEM and compete with the big 2 with their own braking system, and their own technology..