Switch from Spinning Reels to BC

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
TeddybearCrisis
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Switch from Spinning Reels to BC

Post by TeddybearCrisis » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:34 pm

Hello guys,

I am from Germany and in the United States in order to study. I fished alot in good old Germany but it seems to be very different in the US. I see mostly only guys fishing baitcaster reels.
Why is everybody fishing Baitcaster?Would you recommend to switch?

Thank you

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Switch from Spinning Reels to BC

Post by angry john » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:58 pm

i would have to say that depends on where you are and how long you plan to stay. If you have some good gear and know how to use it, then why change. The only technique i have never tried on a spinning reel is froging. Not saying that cant be done either, i just have not...

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:52 pm

Just the opposite in the area where I fish. Vast majority use spinning. I switched because I didn't like the stretch to pick up the line...and yes I realize the off hand can do the job...and because I wanted to try something new. For me baitcast reels became an addiction. Bought around 30 the past 4-1/2 years. Feel I need another 30! :big grin:

I'd have to agree with the statement made by a guy I recently met. He uses mostly spinning, but prefers a baitcast reel for the times when he is constantly casting. This guy also trolled and used live bait...depending on where and what he was fishing for. I used nothing but spinning reels up until the switch. Never felt like something wasn't right.

If you prefer spinning gear, then stick with it. You won't be the only guy who does. If you enjoy trying new things then try baitcast. You might become addicted like a lot of us did. :mrgreen:

zalan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by zalan » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:34 pm

I'm also from EU and even though the spinning reels are way more popular here, there are more and more people using casting reels. My suggestion is that do not make a change, rather get a casting setup to compliment your current gear and try it out. If you like it, you can start transitioning, but do not make the switch at once. I know plenty of people who used only spinning, then sold everything, went to casting, than at the end had to buy a few spinning stuff as well and now uses both. I say both has it's place and I use both.

takrat 67
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by takrat 67 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:55 pm

You fish with what you are comfortable with. I have a pal who hardly ever uses spin gear, bait casters all the way. He was in my boat one day with a spin rod and reel and I caught him trying to cast the spinner upside down! In Australia there is a lot of spin gear used but there is also no lack of bait casters either. I have noticed that in the US there's a definite leaning towards BCers, but I guess it comes down to what you were bought up with. You will not catch any fewer fish with you spin stuff, in fact you'll be making longer casts.
JD

mrpao
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mrpao » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:10 pm

For most bass fishing techniques I use baitcast reels. I will use spinning reels for lighter lures and finesse techniques.
I use whatever rod and reel combo is best for the job.
I know a lot of guys try to lighten up some of their finesse baitcaster for smaller lures and light line. Personally, for me that's too much trouble. I would backlash too much and my distance and accuracy would suffer.
I will stick with spinning reels for my lighter applications.
There is no need switch. Use both. Each has their place.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:34 pm

I have only started using baitcasters the past few years, mainly because it's just something I wanted to learn more so than feeling like I 'needed' to use them. Here in KS it is typically VERY windy, especially during the summer months. I always have a couple spinning outfits with me because they're much less fussy in the wind. I know a lot of guys only use them for finesse, but I have some medium-heavy spinning rods for fishing with jigs and frogs. They can get by just fine. The only time I've felt that baitcasters have an advantage is when you need more line capacity with higher lb. rated line. Aside from that, you can pretty much get by using a spinning reel for anything, especially with all the good braided lines on the market today that negate the line capacity issue.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:24 am

Regardless of conventional wisdom, you can pretty much do with spinning gear anything you can do with casting gear. I spent years throwing frogs in slop (and catching an occasional fish ;) ) using spinning gear with mono. That was before everything went "technique specific" ... chuckle ...

Casting gear has it's place and is a viable option, but not a must have.

Wachtel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Wachtel » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:43 am

I grew up using spinning for lighter gear and casting for heavy. Now I use casting for the lighter stuff also but that's just for the fun of it :big grin:

Lexy 123
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Lexy 123 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:55 pm

It depends on what U are going after. I'm using both BC and spinning.
For bass fishing, BC works very well. U can feel the line with your thumb after every twist.

romans
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by romans » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:53 am

spinning and baitcasters both have a place in my arsenal.