Which is more important - the reel or the rod?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Which is more important - the reel or the rod?

Post by Chode » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:11 am

bigbill wrote:
Chode wrote:
bigbill wrote:The quality of your line is the most important thing on a rod setup. Second comes the reel, we need to use a decent reel. With the rod I can get by with any rod. The rods I'm using now cost from $4.99 to $24. I can fish with any rod. But we need a decent reel and the better quality line.
I'm just curious...what reel n line r u putting on ur 4.99 - $24 rod?
I use a copolymer line like Excalibur silver thread, yozuri, vicious.

I use mainly okuma exipitor spinning reels. I'm using the cheap Shakespeare and south bend rods but the guys/gals on the fishing forums are starting to change my frugal ways. I'm switching to Finor lite fishing rods I just found hidden in my tackle room. I purchased these at $19 marked down at dicks sporting goods many years ago. They have the exact backbone and power to winch these bigger gals out of the weeds.

In the beginning of my bass fishing about 15 years ago using lighter trout setups with mono I lost many 2 to 3lb bass to line breakage. My search for a better quality line ended at Excalibur. I even wore out the cheaper entry level spinning reels too. This taught me I can use any rod but I need a good quality line along with a decent reel. But I realize now I need a certain rod with backbone but different ratings power wise for each style of bait I use. It's harder to change at 63yo but I understand it now.
i think this might be the problem. I"m not trying to sound condescending but i don't know if you've used higher quality rods to really know what you're missing out on. just try a rod under $200 and your world just might flip upside down. Use a rod under $400 and u just might go crosseyed and have ur head blown off. Be careful haha...you've been warned

takrat 67
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by takrat 67 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:49 am

Mcyl wrote:I'd be tempted to see how low I could go for a reliable setup of rod reel and line. It'll be easier with spin but for a casting setup it should be rather interesting.

Say like a Black Max with an Ugly Stik 6'6"M, Berkeley XL and a RC lure and go chasing barra!
Yeh, that'd be a challenge and you'd probably do OK for a couple of trips until something plastic in the Black Max called it quits. The bloody Ugly Stick would probably outlast about 3 reels. Damn things are like tent pegs.
JD :big grin:

takrat 67
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by takrat 67 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:58 am

It's easy to get carried away with expensive gear, and yes, the fish have no idea and don't care anyway. Most of this gear is designed to catch anglers and not fish :idea: . However we all like our toys and once you have shelled out for some higher end stuff, reels in particular, there's no going back. The thing is are you really good enough to tell the difference between a $400 Loomis and a $150 St.Croix. My guess is no if we are going to be totally honest. I know one very reputable guide in Australia who has never seen the need to pay more than $100 for a rod. His reels are all in the Chronarch class though. Many rods will have the tip broken in a car door before they wear out, whereas a half decent reel WILL go the distance.
JD

mikeysam
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mikeysam » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:38 pm

takrat 67 wrote:It's easy to get carried away with expensive gear, and yes, the fish have no idea and don't care anyway. Most of this gear is designed to catch anglers and not fish :idea: . However we all like our toys and once you have shelled out for some higher end stuff, reels in particular, there's no going back. The thing is are you really good enough to tell the difference between a $400 Loomis and a $150 St.Croix. My guess is no if we are going to be totally honest. I know one very reputable guide in Australia who has never seen the need to pay more than $100 for a rod. His reels are all in the Chronarch class though. Many rods will have the tip broken in a car door before they wear out, whereas a half decent reel WILL go the distance.
JD
If you can't tell the difference between a Nrx and a 150 dollar rod you might consider getting some tests to see if you have some sort of nerve damage.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:00 pm

Mcyl wrote:I'd be tempted to see how low I could go for a reliable setup of rod reel and line. It'll be easier with spin but for a casting setup it should be rather interesting.

Say like a Black Max with an Ugly Stik 6'6"M, Berkeley XL and a RC lure and go chasing barra!
Most of the guys I fish with use outfits that are similar to what you listed there. My stepdad uses Black Max or Silver Max casters, though he prefers graphite rods over Ugly Stiks, as they're a bit wimpy. He catches fish as well as anybody I've ever met. His brother is a fisherman too and he came down with his boat a couple weeks ago....he has all Abu BCX round reels, and even had a few on spinning rods...which was odd. I guess if people catch fish and enjoy themselves, it doesn't matter much. I got a taste of the good life and I don't think I could ever go back to cheap rods and reels anymore. I don't mind getting bang for my buck though. I'll probably be using custom rods and Chronarch Ci4+ or Tatula's from now on, as I don't see much benefit spending $500+ for a rod or reel, but I certainly won't be spending $50 anymore either.

takrat 67
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by takrat 67 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:46 pm

mikeysam wrote:
takrat 67 wrote:It's easy to get carried away with expensive gear, and yes, the fish have no idea and don't care anyway. Most of this gear is designed to catch anglers and not fish :idea: . However we all like our toys and once you have shelled out for some higher end stuff, reels in particular, there's no going back. The thing is are you really good enough to tell the difference between a $400 Loomis and a $150 St.Croix. My guess is no if we are going to be totally honest. I know one very reputable guide in Australia who has never seen the need to pay more than $100 for a rod. His reels are all in the Chronarch class though. Many rods will have the tip broken in a car door before they wear out, whereas a half decent reel WILL go the distance.
JD
If you can't tell the difference between a Nrx and a 150 dollar rod you might consider getting some tests to see if you have some sort of nerve damage.
Nothing wrong with the nerves chum, I've been in plenty of boats where Loomis et al were present and the owners of those sticks caught no more fish than I did. My most expensive rod is a Zillion with a reel by the same name. It's fine but is it worth the extra bucks? I doubt it. Bear in mind it's horses for courses too, when a Barra, Mangrove jack or native Bass hits, there is no mistaking what's happening. I can understand when you have water that see's a lot of fishing pressure you need all the help you can get. But paying more than double is not always the answer.
JD

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:00 am

takrat 67 wrote:
mikeysam wrote:
JD
Nothing wrong with the nerves chum, I've been in plenty of boats where Loomis et al were present and the owners of those sticks caught no more fish than I did. My most expensive rod is a Zillion with a reel by the same name. It's fine but is it worth the extra bucks? I doubt it. Bear in mind it's horses for courses too, when a Barra, Mangrove jack or native Bass hits, there is no mistaking what's happening. I can understand when you have water that see's a lot of fishing pressure you need all the help you can get. But paying more than double is not always the answer.
JD
Chum? :-k. I'm not in disagreement, I just haven't heard that word other than in my little girls the reef and the reef 2 movies

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:12 am

takrat 67 wrote:
mikeysam wrote:
JD
JD
well just to be on the fair side, out fishing someone, to me at least, has a lot more to do with raw skills and lure presentation than zillion or nrx. Of course, the nrx will detect more of the subtleties and make fishing that much more enjoyable haha

mikeysam
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mikeysam » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:36 am

takrat 67 wrote:
mikeysam wrote:
JD
JD
I will defer to your opinion on that as I have no experience with Barra, Mangrove jack or native Bass. ( sounds like fun though)

takrat 67
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by takrat 67 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:31 pm

Mikey,
Sorry about the chum thing mate, I must have gone a bit Olde English there. You are absolutely correct though those fish are a real hoot to catch. Some would say that the Jack will out pull a Barra but they don't really get big enough to do that. They are very dirty fighters though and come out of their little spot in the snag circle around and hit your lure on the way back in. You need good nerves, a good drag and good reflexes. In the estuaries they don't get much bigger than 50cm but then they go out to the offshore reefs and get massive. I've seen a bloke get busted off on 40lb gear by a Jack that was under 50cm.
I'd love to give you blokes over there a taste of this fishing you would love it.
JD :big grin:

triple_illusion
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by triple_illusion » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:32 pm

ok if no one else is gonna order something cool i guess i will....just placed an order with plat, involving a weave pattern and my favorite material.... 8-)

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:00 pm

triple_illusion wrote:ok if no one else is gonna order something cool i guess i will....just placed an order with plat, involving a weave pattern and my favorite material.... 8-)
A wicker basket for your bicycle?

triple_illusion
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by triple_illusion » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:51 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
triple_illusion wrote:ok if no one else is gonna order something cool i guess i will....just placed an order with plat, involving a weave pattern and my favorite material.... 8-)
A wicker basket for your bicycle?
:lol: no but good guess. its smaller and way cooler...

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:38 am

On a limited budget of say, $300...I personally would allocate more of it to a good BC reel as I can get by with a ~ $100 rod for most of my preferred techs. Additionally, I believe that there are more quality rods in the sub $150 bracket then there are quality BCs.

Spinning reels is a different game though in so far as cost vs quality/performance return per dollar.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:42 pm

mikeysam wrote:
JD
Hey Mikey, I think Takrat is Australian from the north. In that case, it's true. We use braid on heavy leaders casting moving baits and in general get hit by fish that aren't known to be gentle. I've lost most feeling in my left hand from exactly that, nerve damage and when I use a mates RH wind setup I still feel it... In the elbow. The barramundi is like a giant SM in strike and fitting nature and the jack is a cousin if your red snapper. Down in the south, bream is a major sport fish, with them a good sensitive rod is definitely important but a sienna 1000 & 2500 could easily handle them. All of them are great sport fish however