New HawgTech Swept Handles with matching parts...

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: New HawgTech Swept Handles with matching parts...

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:33 pm

What is the approximate price per handle with and without knobs?

Is the 100mm tip to tip or post to post?

Do they offer a version that fits Daiwa knobs?

Thanks,
DaveJ

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:24 am

IlliniDawg01 wrote:What is the approximate price per handle with and without knobs?

Is the 100mm tip to tip or post to post?

Do they offer a version that fits Daiwa knobs?

Thanks,
DaveJ
https://www.hawgtech.com/

No on the Daiwa knobs as of yet I believe.

piscicidal
Angler
Angler

Post by piscicidal » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:10 am

Hey guys, this is Mike from Hawg Tech.

We recently started building the swept handles and have been selling a few on a pre-order basis. This product is the result of feedback I received (much of which was from this forum) from people who asked for a longer/less bulky version of our straight 94mm handle. We did not want to compromise the strength of the handle which has been our trademark. I think this handle does a good job meeting those requests...it is a little longer (102mm), a little lighter (24grams) and less bulky, and a little thinner (3.6mm thick). The handle is still very strong, though (a curved beam is stronger than a straight one).

We are still in the process of updating the website and have not officially announced this swept handle yet. We hope to have the website changes done next week. I just wanted to drop in and say thanks to those of you who have purchased from us and let you all know we are listening to your requests. We have several other designs in the works and your comments are driving much of the design considerations being made right now. I also hear what you are saying about the retainer...it seems like many of you prefer the flat retainer with polygonal hole and a anodized cosmetic nut? I could design something like that to fit these handles if there is a market for it (as there appears to be).

If you guys have any comments/questions, just drop me an email at support@hawgtech.com.

Mike
Hawg Tech, LLC

mitchct
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mitchct » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:26 am

piscicidal wrote:Hey guys, this is Mike from Hawg Tech.

We recently started building the swept handles and have been selling a few on a pre-order basis. This product is the result of feedback I received (much of which was from this forum) from people who asked for a longer/less bulky version of our straight 94mm handle. We did not want to compromise the strength of the handle which has been our trademark. I think this handle does a good job meeting those requests...it is a little longer (102mm), a little lighter (24grams) and less bulky, and a little thinner (3.6mm thick). The handle is still very strong, though (a curved beam is stronger than a straight one).

We are still in the process of updating the website and have not officially announced this swept handle yet. We hope to have the website changes done next week. I just wanted to drop in and say thanks to those of you who have purchased from us and let you all know we are listening to your requests. We have several other designs in the works and your comments are driving much of the design considerations being made right now. I also hear what you are saying about the retainer...it seems like many of you prefer the flat retainer with polygonal hole and a anodized cosmetic nut? I could design something like that to fit these handles if there is a market for it (as there appears to be).

If you guys have any comments/questions, just drop me an email at support@hawgtech.com.

Mike
Hawg Tech, LLC
This gets my vote. Also anodized screw, or at least a standard thread on the hole for the retainer screw.

igl00jx
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by igl00jx » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:39 pm

mitchct wrote:
Mike
Hawg Tech, LLC
This gets my vote. Also anodized screw, or at least a standard thread on the hole for the retainer screw.
+1 to this. If so,

deepblack
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by deepblack » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:33 pm

+2 for me on the nut retainer, If I could fit a traditional style retainer and fit Daiwa knobs I would buy 4 of the swept handles straight up. It's not that I dont like the look of the Hawgtech knobs but for me at least cork is just not functional for the area I live, for starters we have a local bug that eats cork if it has ant finger oils at all on it..... ](*,)

dqphysics
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dqphysics » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:18 pm

Mike
Hawg Tech, LLC
yep, one of the reasons I have not bought a Hawg Tech is both the thickness and the retainer. One problem solved if the other one gets solved I may be buying a couple.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:18 am

Count me in as interested in a swept carbon fiber handle that is 100mm post to post that has Daiwa Knob Posts, and accepts Daiwa Style Anodized Nuts with separate Retainers.

I really liked the 2011/2012 swept Semper Fi handles. They discontinued those and I'm not as keen on the new model. They also were only 88mm. If someone is making a 100mm carbon handle that is significantly less than the Daiwa RCS model I am very interested. It would look great on a new Tatula Type-R 8.1.

DaveJ

piscicidal
Angler
Angler

Post by piscicidal » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:02 pm

biggs wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
fishingandfords wrote:There handles are getting better
Much. Way better than the original.
True, now lets get some handle nut retainer/nut/retainer screw options instead of the one piece retainer available now.
This is Mike from Hawg Tech.

Just wanted to let you know...I am currently tooling up a new retainer. It will be a standard flat retainer/nut/screw set up.

In the meantime, though, I wanted to share something you might find useful...the flat retainer from a Gen 3 Revo SX fits on both of our handles (94mm straight and 102mm swept).

For reference, the Abu Garcia part numbers are:

1281160 Handle Nut (Red)
1252035 Handle Nut Cover

Here's a picture of a Gen3 Revo SX with our handle on it, with stock Revo retainer/nut.

Thanks!

Mike
Hawg Tech, LLC

hotdogin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hotdogin » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:13 am

That looks oddly familiar...oh yeah! I have that minus the curves. I absolutely love the handle and knobs. It's amazing at how a minute weight change can make such a difference. Now it feels like all of the weight is centered on the rod.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:54 am

Big thumbs up Mike. That looks awesome!

DaveJ

pobigred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by pobigred » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:16 pm

Mike
Hawg Tech, LLC
Hi Mike, I can't send you an email from home because my default email is down. But if you send me an email at pkoneal@kc.rr.com I can respond. I have been on the website and didn't really find what I was looking for. I am looking for the 102mm swept handle to fit a Daiwa Zillion HLC and a Daiwa Z2020 (JDM), but should be same as USDM Z200. Let me know what you have, if anything, please. Patrick O'Neal

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:41 am

FYI on Hawg Tech handles,the stock Abu knobs and bearings will not fit.
You can only use Hawg Tech cork or Shimano Septon.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:12 pm

TommyG wrote:FYI on Hawg Tech handles,the stock Abu knobs and bearings will not fit.
You can only use Hawg Tech cork or Shimano Septon.
Thanks for the info. Still crossing my fingers that they will offer the handles with Daiwa posts at some point in the near future.

DaveJ