Chronarch CI4+ owners, any update?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Chronarch CI4+ owners, any update?

Post by spookybaits » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:27 pm

MTBF wrote:Hey wait a sec...it's October now how much longer until the new news???
I read oct 12th. Or was 15th... Somewhere around then.

MTBF
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MTBF » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:53 pm

Haha cool, soon enough...I wonder what well see next from Shimano

husonfirst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by husonfirst » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:33 am

I was excited about trying out this reel but I just read that the drag star is plastic. Now I'm a lot less excited. A $270 reel shouldn't have a plastic drag star.

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:00 am

husonfirst wrote:I was excited about trying out this reel but I just read that the drag star is plastic. Now I'm a lot less excited. A $270 reel shouldn't have a plastic drag star.
where did you read that the drag star is plastic? its aluminum

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:00 am

BucketHunter wrote:Bantam1 is MIA at the moment. I am guessing holidays, or just waiting in the weeds until he gets the go ahead.
Actually I was on the road driving our tuck and boat for work. From now until the end of the year I will be gone frequently and for long periods of time. I wish I was on vacation. I have not had one this year :evil:

The official release date for the new products is Oct 21 unless I am given the green light to say something earlier.

bassninja
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassninja » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:53 am

Bantam1 wrote:
BucketHunter wrote:Bantam1 is MIA at the moment. I am guessing holidays, or just waiting in the weeds until he gets the go ahead.
Actually I was on the road driving our tuck and boat for work. From now until the end of the year I will be gone frequently and for long periods of time. I wish I was on vacation. I have not had one this year :evil:

The official release date for the new products is Oct 21 unless I am given the green light to say something earlier.
The release date for what new products? Can you be more specific? I don't quite comprehend. :mrgreen:

hobobob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by hobobob » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:28 am

It's a casting reel with name started with the letter C. :lol:

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:46 am

You will find out eventually.

husonfirst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by husonfirst » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:38 am

phatbass wrote:
husonfirst wrote:I was excited about trying out this reel but I just read that the drag star is plastic. Now I'm a lot less excited. A $270 reel shouldn't have a plastic drag star.
I read it at this review which I found on another thread here. It's at the top third of page.

http://www.anglergear.net/the-shimano-c ... -unboxing/

Does anyone know definitively if it's plastic or aluminum?

jamesdta
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jamesdta » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:41 am

The whole reels plastic so what difference would it make ?

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:51 am

husonfirst wrote:
phatbass wrote:
I read it at this review which I found on another thread here. It's at the top third of page.

http://www.anglergear.net/the-shimano-c ... -unboxing/

Does anyone know definitively if it's plastic or aluminum?
thats the same article where the guy stated it had micro gears also and was wrong.ask batam1.

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:53 am

jamesdta wrote:The whole reels plastic so what difference would it make ?
good point

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:09 am

Got my 6.2 CI4+ yesterday. Had a chance to break it down and take a look. Very impressive little reel. Mine, like everyone else's, had tons of grease on the spool bearings. I flushed those out and reoiled with Hot Sauce. With line spooled and all the brakes off I was getting 22-25 sec. of freespool. Not bad at all for stock bearings and a lightweight spool. Going to do a little night fishing tonight and I'm taking it with me, so hopefully I'll get on a bite to give it a work out. One thing I noticed, it's a little noisy on the retrieve and there's a little bit of play in the handle. The retrieve has a nice connected feel though. I attributed the noise mostly to the material the reel is made from, it amplifies vibrations much more than aluminum. Ergonomically, it feels great in hand. The width is very similar to the Tatula when I put them next to one another. The CI4 definitely has a much lower profile though and feels much better in my palm. The bearings in the CI4 were better quality than the Tatula, as well.

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:25 am

tywithay wrote:Got my 6.2 CI4+ yesterday. Had a chance to break it down and take a look. Very impressive little reel. Mine, like everyone else's, had tons of grease on the spool bearings. I flushed those out and reoiled with Hot Sauce. With line spooled and all the brakes off I was getting 22-25 sec. of freespool. Not bad at all for stock bearings and a lightweight spool. Going to do a little night fishing tonight and I'm taking it with me, so hopefully I'll get on a bite to give it a work out. One thing I noticed, it's a little noisy on the retrieve and there's a little bit of play in the handle. The retrieve has a nice connected feel though. I attributed the noise mostly to the material the reel is made from, it amplifies vibrations much more than aluminum. Ergonomically, it feels great in hand. The width is very similar to the Tatula when I put them next to one another. The CI4 definitely has a much lower profile though and feels much better in my palm. The bearings in the CI4 were better quality than the Tatula, as well.
you should have left it alone,mine is smooth and quiet on the retrieve. the stock bearings are fine no need to flush them .

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:55 am

phatbass wrote:
tywithay wrote:Got my 6.2 CI4+ yesterday. Had a chance to break it down and take a look. Very impressive little reel. Mine, like everyone else's, had tons of grease on the spool bearings. I flushed those out and reoiled with Hot Sauce. With line spooled and all the brakes off I was getting 22-25 sec. of freespool. Not bad at all for stock bearings and a lightweight spool. Going to do a little night fishing tonight and I'm taking it with me, so hopefully I'll get on a bite to give it a work out. One thing I noticed, it's a little noisy on the retrieve and there's a little bit of play in the handle. The retrieve has a nice connected feel though. I attributed the noise mostly to the material the reel is made from, it amplifies vibrations much more than aluminum. Ergonomically, it feels great in hand. The width is very similar to the Tatula when I put them next to one another. The CI4 definitely has a much lower profile though and feels much better in my palm. The bearings in the CI4 were better quality than the Tatula, as well.
you should have left it alone,mine is smooth and quiet on the retrieve. the stock bearings are fine no need to flush them .
It was noisy out of the box, before I cleaned the bearings.