T3 Users Club Feedback

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
ah_long
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: T3 Users Club Feedback

Post by ah_long » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:49 am

Love it, use one for spinnerbaits and the other for frogging...

Great casting, line management and cast control

don't like the handle length and the lube job they did at the factory

bkbz520
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bkbz520 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:01 am

I picked up a used t3 ballistic off he boards and I'm very impressed. I've been using it for flukes and it works like a charm to skip a fluke under docks and lay downs. I have it set on all around and have no problem with the weightless flukes. If I use it on long cast I can almost spool it with a fluke in the open with 14# fc.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:35 am

BRbasser wrote:I have a T3 1016 and a T3 SV. I do a lot of worm and senko fishing and I find that the best thing about this reel you can engage the reel without taking any line in. After I throw my worm I close the hood and wait for the worm to sink without turning the handle and taking line up. Most of my hit after throwing the worm are on the fall so I find myself using the T3 for most of the senko fishing.
Almost all the Daiwa baitcasters I have used you can just push up the thumb bar and it will engage. Probably not as easy as closing the hood, but it can still be engaged without taking up line..

The more I read this thread, the more I want one of these reels. I had been eyeballing them for quite some time, just haven't made the jump. I'll likely try a Tatula first, to see if they're the real deal since they're cheaper. Either way, I will likely be buying an MX at some point as they look like an awesome value. Maybe pick up an SV spool to throw in as well.

Gulfcoastwader
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Gulfcoastwader » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:42 pm

I have had both T3 and T3 Ballistics.

Both are phenomenal casters when dialed in and with upgraded bearings. Among the very best casting machines produced.

I didn't care much for the "feel" of the reel though, but if I were starting over I'd consider buying a couple of Ballistics and being done with it. Good reels overall.

LPFC
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by LPFC » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:03 pm

I have the T3B
I really like the versatility of the reel. I've used it for Flukes, stix worms to a whopper plopper. Plopper was a bit much for the reel but in a pinch it will do. I really like the reel for lures from 1/4 to 3/4. I keep mine on all around. I can throw any lure I use on this setting.
My favorite lure to use with this reel is a buzzbait. Being able to engage the reel by closing the hood is awesome when throwing buzzbaits.

I don't like the handle length.
I upgraded the spool bearings. I don't feel I gained enough performance to justify the upgrade.

This is not a don't like just my opinion. I feel this reel casts much better with mono in the 12lb range and braid in the 8/30 range. I have used 10 mono, 12 mono and 8/30 braid. About 3 weeks ago I put 15lb mono on it and I can feel a bit of a performance down grade.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:53 pm

T3
Pros: Casting distance, strong drag, light
Coins: Paint durability stinks, larger knots can get stuck in the line guide, over priced imo

I sold mine.

Phantom
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Phantom » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:43 pm

LOVE MINE!
i got one of the first jdm T3's that didnt come with the small metal tws plate to stop grooving (i did have a spiral wrapped rod to using braid...) but i sent mine to SLP for a new paint, shallow spool and service, came back with groove plate and problem solved. the SLP paint has much more durability, ive been rough with mine and only 2 very faint marks that are barely noticable.

great casting, great palming and dispite what some may think it can handle heavy duty work, ive abused mine somewhat and still going strong but could use a service

i like mine so much ive got an FX68 on order and am thinking more about the mx

Pmedicbm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pmedicbm » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:46 am

I tried to refrain but posting but just can't... I own 1 - T3. I also own 6 Steez 103's. The T3 was a pleasant surprise. I didn't expect the same tolerances and just overall great reel that I got assembled in "Thailand"..... This reel is just incredible. I'm with Bronzefly in that I don't really like the overall Zaion material, but as far as performance is concerned- this sucker just flat out does what it's suppose to do plus some... I have some issues with the T-Wing and a few issues I've run into with the overall design and implementation of the T-wing philosophy bit overall it's a casting dream and smooth as they come. Retrieve is the same or on par with the Steez. As a matter of fact I have 2- Steez Compile-X 7'1"s which I have the T3 on one and a Steez on the other. I actually prefer the T3 over the Steez on most cases. Yes, I think its that good... Overall, minus the Zaion this sucker is just a flat out performer.......

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:59 am

I put a IS spool in my T3 7-1 and it is an awesome finesse machine. Will absolutely hurl a 2.5 inch tube with a 1/16 oz head, and what it will do with a weightless 4.5 inch worm should be illegal. That spool is never coming back out of the reel. Also changed the handle to one off of a pxr. Finesse fishing dream.

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:58 am

daiwafan wrote:I put a IS spool in my T3 7-1 and it is an awesome finesse machine. Will absolutely hurl a 2.5 inch tube with a 1/16 oz head, and what it will do with a weightless 4.5 inch worm should be illegal. That spool is never coming back out of the reel. Also changed the handle to one off of a pxr. Finesse fishing dream.
what all did you have to change out to get the IS spool in it?

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:11 am

Piece of cake.

Remove sideplate-mag side.
Remove bearing retainer clip
Remove bearing
Remove felt washer
Remove carbon washer
Remove brass washer
Reinstall everything but the brass washer

The washers all set within the cup that hold the bearing. Once the brass washer is removed there is enough clearance to install a steez spool.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:51 am

daiwafan wrote:Piece of cake.

Remove bearing
Remove felt washer
Remove carbon washer
Remove brass washer

The washers all set within the cup that hold the bearing. Once the brass washer is removed there is enough clearance to install a steez spool.
Very nice tip =D>

biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by biggs » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:04 pm

Forgot to mention a pro for me is also the palming of the reel, for me it palms awesome.

Figured we may as well show off our T3s as well. Heres what I am rolling with........for now.

T3 Ballistic XS
- all neccessary bearings to bring bearing count to 11 added
- Boca OS7 spool bearings
- 90mm CF handle
- 1016 spool

T3 1016
- all neccessary bearings to bring bearing count to 11 added (even though I shouldn't have to do this to a reel that costs this much!)
- Boca OS7 spool bearings
- 80mm CF handle

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:15 pm

bronzefly wrote:
daiwafan wrote:Piece of cake.

Remove bearing
Remove felt washer
Remove carbon washer
Remove brass washer

Very nice tip =D>
Can't take credit for the tip. I read how to do this on the site.
I had the spool in a steez and liked it, but the decreased friction in the line guide of the t3, in my opinion, takes it to another level. Now I have a 1016 spool to stick in the steez.
:

ah_long
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ah_long » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:53 pm

since we're showing off

Ballistic is sold already