Help with picking my next reel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
scaledriver
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Help with picking my next reel

Post by scaledriver » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:31 am

I am looking at either a zillion type r or steeze 103HSA. I am a daiwa guy but have never used or even held a steez. I can get it for about 70 more than the zillion type r. Reel is going on a DX744 primarily going to be fishing jigs with it. How do the 2 compare if at all?

Native
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Help with picking my next reel

Post by Native » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:15 am

Wow that's a good question. They're like night and day in my opinion and I have both (my Steez is the 103HA).

The Steez 103HSA is a light lure finesse dynamo while the Zillion is a beast master! The models you've picked have both basically the same retrieve speed but that's where the similarities end. They're both exceptional and fun to use but the Steez feels like butter on the retrieve; the Zillion is smooth as glass but not like the Steez.

The Steez can handle small baits with ease when matched with the right rod. The Zillion is a reel that can just about do it all and do it with flair; it's one of the reels that Cal's crew took to the Amazon to fish for Peacock Bass!

Personally, I wouldn't trade either for anything but if I had to only use one, it would have to be the Steez it just performs incredibly! But for your use fishing jigs, I'd have to say the Zillion is what you'll want to have at the end of your line when you haul back to set the hook!

scaledriver
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by scaledriver » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:56 pm

Thanks for the info that helps a lot. I am leaning toward the zillion type r but I admit I'd like to have a steez well to have one lol. From how you explained it though the zillion is best for what I am going to be doing.

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:38 pm

now, i'm going to mess with your mind. lol :big grin: :big grin: :big grin:

i also have both reels but prefer the steez for fishing jigs. i feel that the steez has plenty of power to handle the jig fish and i really like the light weight. my jig rod is a phenix k2 715 that weighs next to nothing. the steez fits it perfectly. the r just seems too heavy for such a light weight rod.

both great reels though (that's why i have both). :big grin: :big grin:

Captain Chaos
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Captain Chaos » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:39 am

I have both as well ..

The Steez is on a custom glx .. for plastics ..

I use the 50th Zillion on my compile-x steez rod .. for jigs!!

Can't go wrong with either one. I love both reels .. but the steez is on another level, overall. There is the weight difference factor as well ..

If you can go to the store and try putting the reel on the rod .. just to see how it feels and balances .. that would be a good thing to do.

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:57 am

Great info above =D>
Long shot,If the new Tatula pans out, the R-edition would make a killer 'jig' reel.
For $200 it's worth holding out for a couple of weeks.
Just saying.... :-$

JordanC
Angler
Angler

Post by JordanC » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:07 am

I have a high speed Zillion and a T3 ballistic that ive used on my DX744. I prefer the Zillion hands down for throwing jigs. I cannot comment on a steez as I don't own one but I can tell you the Zillions really balance out well on the Dobyns dx's as I have a Zillion on my 743,744 and 745. The reel is a workhorse and will suit your needs perfectly.

scaledriver
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by scaledriver » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:58 am

Well I went with The Zillion type R felt it was safest bet since I am already using a Zillion. I have 3 other Non Daiwa reels I am eventually going to replace so I can see a Steez in my future :P . Thanks all for the info it helped a lot it is really great to have a place to go to get good user feedback on stuff like this.

Tim

bassinmaumee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bassinmaumee » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:59 pm

africanbass wrote:Great info above =D>
Long shot,If the new Tatula pans out, the R-edition would make a killer 'jig' reel.
For $200 it's worth holding out for a couple of weeks.
Just saying.... :-$
Thats the basket ive put my eggs in by pre ordering 4 of them lol