Stuffed Spool bearing after 1 month

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Flathead
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Stuffed Spool bearing after 1 month

Post by Flathead » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:21 am

So I have been using my Lews bait caster everyday for about 6 weeks (little less) and in the last 3 days the spool bearing has become really noisy, I took the spool and out free spun it and it sounded like a cheese greater, I oiled it and put it back in and although it has helped its still noisy. I haven't lost much cast distance but its really annoying when retrieving, Should this be stuffed already ?. I am really happy with the reel so far, it casts a mile and it good for pulling large fish, but now i'm concerned, I was planning on upgrading to the ABEC 5's anyway but just thought I would ask for piece of mind.

Cheers Big Ears"

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Stuffed Spool bearing after 1 month

Post by smalljaw » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:58 am

It may have come from the factory with little to no lube on it and now it is cooked, you can swap the bearings out of alert Lews and send it in for them to fix or replace. It could also just be a bad bearing period, but I never saw a bearing go and still allow the same or close in casting distance, could very well just be a noisy bearing, there should be someone who knows a lot more that can help.

Gabriel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Gabriel » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:35 am

Is it a Mag Brake model or a centrifugal? One of my shimano's had a stuck brake block on the spool that made it sound very similar to yours.

Flathead
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Flathead » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:03 pm

Its noisy when the spool is out of the reel, its cool I will just replace it with some lightening Boca's.