The Perfect Cranking Reel? AKA Help, I'm an OCD moron.

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

The Perfect Cranking Reel? AKA Help, I'm an OCD moron.

Post by smalliesteve » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:00 pm

I'm looking for the perfect cranking reel. It'd be for all-round cranking. Mostly small to medium cranks on 8 - 12 lb mono. Would expect to throw 3/16 pretty regularly. Also want the ability to bomb medium cranks. Will be paired up with a custom Phenix X12.

I would jump all over a Ringa HL-SSS 103L but doubt that's in the cards. Too rare and too pricey. To be honest I don't think it would handle the light stuff as well as I'd prefer anyway, but it would look so nice on this stick. :lol: :lol: :oops:

So here's what I want:
DAIWA
LEFTY
20 to 23 IPT (gear ration 5.1 to 5.4 or so)
prefer <7.5oz, has to very special if it's over 8.
line capacity not a big deal, 75 yd of 12 mono is all I need
spool and gearset interchangeability a big plus
Yes, I'm going to be this shallow: has to match a blue and silver rod. :oops: :oops:

Here's my list so far: (in no particular order)

HL-SSS 103L. I think I could improve light lure performance with a spool switch to an I'ze light. Otherwise it's so close to perfect. - don't know what other spools would fit. $400-500 (used) + spool maybe

BayCasting SP 103L. Heavy. Not positive on the low end lure weight performance. $450

T3 1016SHL. Would require that I find a suitable gearset. Not aware of any that swap, but willing to bet there's some out there. A plus is the rep. for long casts and could swap in an SLP 1010 or 1012. If no gears, could always use it for general use. $340 + $100 (spool) + $60 (gears X 2 -experimenting)

Zill HLC 100L. bad rep for 'lashing, but other spools available. Need a gearset swap, but have a thousand options on gears and spool. Blue trim parts from a Zil Coastal would set it off. $$$ to get everything though. $460 + $120 (spool) + $30 (gears) + $75 (trim) = rather have a HL-SSS.

J Dream 5.3L. checks all the boxes, but...meh and expensive. And I'd have to buff the decals off the sideplate. $450

Lexa, has a lot going for it, but I want the ability to change spools. This has a long spool shaft like a Shimano. $120

TDZ 103ML/100ML. Spools available (don't think it'd be needed though), and 5.7 gears would be OK. Could swap in the star and CCC from the Coastal. $250 + $60 (star/CCC)

Anyway, there's my inane babblings. Really would like a 100 sized round reel for BAedness sake. What are your thoughts on the topic?

Here's the rod with a HL-SSS righty.

EDIT: right click to view full pic.

Thanks guys

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: The Perfect Cranking Reel? AKA Help, I'm an OCD moron.

Post by GARRIGA » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:12 pm

Based on the less than 8 oz weight restriction I'd go JD 5.3 or grab an HLC and swap the gears out. I know CC 4.9 can handle any crank asked to be thrown. Can't dispute the customizability/flexibility of the Zillion line.

Another consideration is a Steez modified for low gear cranking. Something often written about. I'd still go Zillion even if it had to be the regular 8.8 oz variant. Work horse with many options. I don't feel the difference between the JD and my standard edition Zillions. Although there's not much standard about them.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:24 pm

I like your style! I'd go with the TDZ. No need to swap spools, CCC and star from Coastal - 300 bucks. Upgrade the spool bearings, drag washers, and have it poished. Plus some blue RCS cork knobs and maybe blue knob caps, nut and nut retainer, 100 extra bucks. 400 dollar custom to you TDZ!

panyafish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by panyafish » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:00 pm

I don't know if the zillion will throw 3/16 oz, especially if it's a crankbait. I think it might be out of it's ideal weight range. I have one with the stock HLC spool--I guess it'll throw 3/16, but not very far :lol:

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:36 pm

I have one of these in 100 size for my medium cranker. I haven't used mine enough to know how it is with 3/16 oz., but it ain't short on power! I throw the lighter stuff on a CBR841 slingshot and CQ50.

http://www.japantackle.com/Shimano/Shim ... lcutta.htm

DE_Bass_Enthusiast
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DE_Bass_Enthusiast » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:56 pm

It would be expensive but if you could get your hands on a TDZ Type R (not plus) and a lower gearset it would be one hell of a reel for light crankbaits!

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:58 pm

DE_Bass_Enthusiast wrote:It would be expensive but if you could get your hands on a TDZ Type R (not plus) and a lower gearset it would be one hell of a reel for light crankbaits!
Any reason to avoid the R+? I had actually thought about an R+ but there's the money...

If the Zill will have trouble with 3/16 I will have to take it off the list. I could throw in a PE long cast spool, but that's just more money.

If I go Shimano, it'll have to have a DC in the name. :big grin:

The TDZ 103ML might end up being the route I go. Little to upgrade. Would the 100ML be better for long casts or will the 103 fit the lighter lures better? What about swapping in a 105 spool?

Thanks Hogsticker.

DE_Bass_Enthusiast
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DE_Bass_Enthusiast » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:40 pm

smalliesteve wrote:
DE_Bass_Enthusiast wrote:It would be expensive but if you could get your hands on a TDZ Type R (not plus) and a lower gearset it would be one hell of a reel for light crankbaits!
Any reason to avoid the R+? I had actually thought about an R+ but there's the money...

If the Zill will have trouble with 3/16 I will have to take it off the list. I could throw in a PE long cast spool, but that's just more money.

If I go Shimano, it'll have to have a DC in the name. :big grin:

The TDZ 103ML might end up being the route I go. Little to upgrade. Would the 100ML be better for long casts or will the 103 fit the lighter lures better? What about swapping in a 105 spool?

Thanks Hogsticker.
The big difference between the Type R and the Type R+ is the braking system. The Type R has the same system as the TD-ito which is a very refined break system and is definitley for the angler with a trained thumb. It does far better with ligher baits and the Type R+ would be more for slightly heavier baits and is more angler friendly (if you do not have a trained thumb).

If you decide to go the standard TDZ route it would be smarter to go with the 103. The 100 will have a greater line capacity which will in turn hinder casting abilities with lighter baits, but will make it better if you want to go with heavier line and lures. If you were to get the 103 and drop a 105 spool in it, it would be a phenominal lightweight caster.

Best of luck with whatever you choose!

-Jason

thelatrobe33
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by thelatrobe33 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:51 am

I'm ignoring most of your criteria and voting for the Calcutta 100DC :lol: I fish 90% Daiwa but the Shimano round reels are so sweet!

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 am

Shimano calais 100a 5.8:1.
Not a daiwa, but you did say the 'perfect' cranking reel ;)

mikeysam
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mikeysam » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:43 am

Calcutta 100dc. Makes cranking fun.

DUZBASS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DUZBASS » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:46 am

thelatrobe33 wrote:I'm ignoring most of your criteria and voting for the Calcutta 100DC :lol: I fish 90% Daiwa but the Shimano round reels are so sweet!
spookybaits wrote:Shimano calais 100a 5.8:1.
Not a daiwa, but you did say the 'perfect' cranking reel ;)
I would agree with both of these, the perfect low-pro and round cranking reels with no modification needed ;)

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:11 am

TD-Z 103ML...or a flavor thereof.

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:54 pm

thelatrobe33 wrote:I'm ignoring most of your criteria and voting for the Calcutta 100DC :lol: I fish 90% Daiwa but the Shimano round reels are so sweet!
Ditto that...sweet reel for light cranks...

and other threads here that discuss the best cranking reels have many guys saying that it's the best.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:56 pm

Have you considered an Alphas variant? All your requirements are met in the Type F- it's a Daiwa, there are available spool and gear upgrades, it has 5.8:1 gears, they handle light baits well and the silver color matches everything very well. They fit my hand like no other reel I have ever used. I have used my Type F for 1/2 oz. spinnerbaits w/ big double willow blades with no problems, so small to medium cranks would be no problem. They launch 1/8 oz. like a champ and are even better with bearing upgrades. Add carbontex and you have a relatively inexpensive, dependable reel. Spend a little more money and it can have cork knobs, swept carbon fiber handle, swept star, etc. You can even get blue anodized parts from Semper Fi or Hedgehog Studios, in case you want to match the blue on your rod. :-k