Daiwa Sol Troubles

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
toumo
Angler
Angler

Daiwa Sol Troubles

Post by toumo » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:28 pm

I'm new to baitcasting and have four baitcasters. Of all the four, I'm having trouble with my Sol. Every time I'm casting, I'm usually getting backlashes/overruns most of the time. I have the reel on a ML rod. The sizes i'm trying to throw are jigs/lures anywhere from 1/8 oz to 1/2 oz. Any advices will be helpful. Thanks.

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Daiwa Sol Troubles

Post by WoodT » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:39 pm

I think 1/8 total weight...as well as lures under 5/16 total weight that are not aerodynamic...are tough for a Sol, at least for me. A Sol spool is relatively heavy.

Maybe put on something that casts well, perhaps a 5 inch Senkos. Dial the magnet out to 10 and set the tension in enough for a slow drop. Then start backing off the dial. Just rule out that it isn't the reel, first. :D

runmax08
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by runmax08 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:44 pm

Ok.............Make sure you don't have to much line on the spool. Next check your tension control knob (handle side knob). I would adjust the control so that there is very slight movement in the spool. (side to side) Set your magnetic brake to 7 and use a weight of 1/4 ounce or higher. When casting don't overcast or overthrow, a medium light rod requires less torque to throw a 1/4 ounce bait. Finally, always use or learn to use your thumb to slow or stop the spool when necessary. Once you learn to control the spool, you can decrease the magnetic braking factor to increase your casting distance.

Redfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Redfish » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:49 pm

All good advice here. The Sol (and the Steez to an even greater extent) have a hard learning curve. Practice with heavier lures and get it down pat then move down to lighter lures. Don't give up on it it is a great reel!

hobobob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by hobobob » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:18 pm

On these mag V reels. Check the two red slider block on the spool rotor. Many will have one or both blocks stuck. Pulling on the rotor and you should see the two blocks sliding out as you pull, move back in when you release. Just add tiny bit of oil on the block's sliding rails if it is stuck. When the two blocks are moving freely, you should get a more consistent braking result.

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:18 pm

I have three two alphas ito's and one sol. I have found that the reel is very sensitive to line level on the spool. If it is full then it casts very well, far, very easy. When the amount of line is less then it does not cast near as well and I tend to try and help out and put in a little extra effort and its all down hill after that. Start with a moderate lure like a stick worm or 1/2 oz crankbait. The wind is your mortal enemy when learning this reel. Crank up the brake and spool tension until you get a good feel and no backlashes and move fwd from there. My first days were very rough, and now I love this platform. Best of luck.

toumo
Angler
Angler

Post by toumo » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:50 am

Thank you everyone for the tips. I will try to use these tips to get me going on my sol.

jlb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jlb » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:40 pm

off topic, but can yall tell me if the sol has a drag tracking levelwind?

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cst » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:12 pm

jlb wrote:off topic, but can yall tell me if the sol has a drag tracking levelwind?
Do any low profiles have that?

Bass Junkie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bass Junkie » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:01 pm

cst wrote:
jlb wrote:off topic, but can yall tell me if the sol has a drag tracking levelwind?
Do any low profiles have that?
Daiwa 153HST does, and I believe there is a new Lew's model that features it as well...

hobobob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by hobobob » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:39 pm

Does it matter? The levelwind doesn't sync when you cast, you'll be out of sync anyway you look at it.

Gabriel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Gabriel » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:58 pm

hobobob wrote:Does it matter? The levelwind doesn't sync when you cast, you'll be out of sync anyway you look at it.
It's more about drag to my understanding. If you reel in say 15 feet of line before your lure gets bit you will have approximately 15 feet of perfectly aligned line if the fish makes a run and more if you reel it in a ways before the fish runs.