Shimano Stella or Stradic ci4

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2540
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:10 pm

Re: Shimano Stella or Stradic ci4

Post by tywithay » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:55 pm

I've owned a Ci4 2500, FJ2500, and a Sustain 3000FG. The Sustain is the better reel of those. The Stella is in a class all it's own, but also double the price of a Sustain. The FJ is right on the heels of the Sustain as well and a better overall value, in my opinion. If I had the choice I'd take a Stella all day long. If you find a Sustain for under 250, go with that. If you're just looking for the best all around reel for your money, Stradic FJ is the best choice. The Ci4 is a nice reel but time has caught up with it now. If they make a new one this year with Ci4+ and add X-ship then it would definitely be worth looking at.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 8845
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:23 am
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO

Re: Shimano Stella or Stradic ci4

Post by dragon1 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:56 pm

Rfraz wrote:CI4 all the way. I have owned both and I couldn't tell much of a difference. Particularly not for the money!
I would venture to guess that your hands are much more insulated than the majority of others on this forum then. :P

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1535
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:51 pm

Re: Shimano Stella or Stradic ci4

Post by Fishing4Fun » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:56 pm

tywithay wrote:I've owned a Ci4 2500, FJ2500, and a Sustain 3000FG. The Sustain is the better reel of those. The Stella is in a class all it's own, but also double the price of a Sustain. The FJ is right on the heels of the Sustain as well and a better overall value, in my opinion. If I had the choice I'd take a Stella all day long. If you find a Sustain for under 250, go with that. If you're just looking for the best all around reel for your money, Stradic FJ is the best choice. The Ci4 is a nice reel but time has caught up with it now. If they make a new one this year with Ci4+ and add X-ship then it would definitely be worth looking at.
Very well stated!

User avatar
cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 4198
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:32 pm
Location: CANADA

Re: Shimano Stella or Stradic ci4

Post by cndbasshunter » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:46 am

I just picked up a Vanquish last night...it's my first JDM spinning and I am surprised at how much smoother and refined it is compared to my existing spinning reels. It's very well constructed, feels like a 911 turbo S! Light, powerful and tons engineering. Can easily be considered for the best reel you can buy. I got a new sustain fg and no comparison. The Sustain FG is more like a BMW 335i. The stradic ci4 I had is more like a 135i. Haha.

spike62
Angler
Angler
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:02 am

Re: Shimano Stella or Stradic ci4

Post by spike62 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:14 am

I've got a Stella 3000FE and a Sutain FG 4000 and I can tell you there's daylight between those two let alone a Stradic C14. That being said I would have been very very happy with the Sustain if I had never found TT :shock:
Quite seriously, and I have had a lot of "good" spinning reels, the Sustain is probably the best bang for your buck in any thing other than really light (1000 size) spinning gear. Just my opinion....

skeletor6
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 120
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:48 pm
Location: Lansing, Michigan

Re: Shimano Stella or Stradic ci4

Post by skeletor6 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:40 am

JJf3 wrote:stella or stradic ci4 which one would you choose and why ? is the stella worth the money or should i just go for the stradic ?
Not even a fair comparison. The stella is on its own platitude with performance. Your best bet in the under $200 range is not the ci4. The stradic FJ has many more features and is a more powerful and smoother operating reel. It depends on how much $ you really want to spend on a reel. The stella is fantastic and if your looking for the best regardless of cost its the way to go. If measuring price to performance, there is a point of diminishing returns after a certain price point. If you can afford it I would say go for it, but it might ruin your perception on every other reel out there. Not kidding

spike62
Angler
Angler
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:02 am

Re: Shimano Stella or Stradic ci4

Post by spike62 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:50 am

skeletor6 wrote:
JJf3 wrote:stella or stradic ci4 which one would you choose and why ? is the stella worth the money or should i just go for the stradic ?
Not even a fair comparison. The stella is on its own platitude with performance. Your best bet in the under $200 range is not the ci4. The stradic FJ has many more features and is a more powerful and smoother operating reel. It depends on how much $ you really want to spend on a reel. The stella is fantastic and if your looking for the best regardless of cost its the way to go. If measuring price to performance, there is a point of diminishing returns after a certain price point. If you can afford it I would say go for it, but it might ruin your perception on every other reel out there. Not kidding
x2 You're telling me you're not kidding!

robchik04
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 459
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:17 am

Re: Shimano Stella or Stradic ci4

Post by robchik04 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:40 pm

I'd get a sustain. The drag is superior to the ci4. though not as light weight... it's super balanced and smooth.

User avatar
Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 969
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:42 am
Location: Cape Town, South Africa

Re: Shimano Stella or Stradic ci4

Post by Bassmar » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:45 pm

I have two CI4 2500 Stradics and have used them regularly for the past two years. My only gripe is the foam knob. If you grip it too hard then the red screw head on the end of the knob digs into your thumb. Otherwise they are great reels. I will be getting two Stellas soon and expect that these reels will be in a class of their own. From all I have heard and read I do not think that one can fairly compare these two reels.

User avatar
bassninja
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 897
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:40 am
Location: The City of Lakes

Re: Shimano Stella or Stradic ci4

Post by bassninja » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:33 am

Sustain FG could be a happy medium. Or you can look to JDM which has a lot more options @ $200 and up.

miracleJim
Angler
Angler
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:01 pm

Re: Shimano Stella or Stradic ci4

Post by miracleJim » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:31 pm

I can afford a Stella or any JDM reel but in my personal (and humble) opinion, anything over $300 is too much. The innards are mostly the same and it only comes down to a bearing or two, the looks, and tenths of ounces in weight.

If the more expensive reels had other electronic gizmos or made out of very exotic materials then maybe, but to me, the name Stella is synonymous not only to refinement, but it is renowned mostly due to its snob factor. But that's just me.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 8845
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:23 am
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO

Re: Shimano Stella or Stradic ci4

Post by dragon1 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:14 pm

Hmmm...I don't necessarily know if the internals and materials of the gears, etc. in a Stella is shared with the Sustain and Stradic? Maybe among some of the JDMs, but USDM?

"Snob factor" aside...I very rarely lose much money on a high end reel after many years of use...and with nearly all of my customs or ltd edtn reels, I have made money on nearly every single one when I sell.

User avatar
Gabriel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 497
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:28 am

Re: Shimano Stella or Stradic ci4

Post by Gabriel » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:35 pm

dragon1 wrote:Hmmm...I don't necessarily know if the internals and materials of the gears, etc. in a Stella is shared with the Sustain and Stradic? Maybe among some of the JDMs, but USDM?
I agree with dragon, the Stella is a unique beast.
Normal Shimano= Brass pinion on brass main gear.
Stradic/Sustain= Brass pinion on forged aluminum main gear.
Stella= Stainless Pinion on forged aluminum main gear.

Not to mention the unique spool coating it receives with titanium spool lip, and it is made of Magnesium and unicorn tears. Plus 14 S A-RB to top it off. It's special ok? And don't say bearings don't matter, I am a the first to criticize people bragging about bearing count but I can't ignore it. 14 BEARINGS ER MER GERD!

Anyone notice that 3 pages in the original poster is nowhere to be seen?

Post Reply