Weight factor

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
takrat 67
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Weight factor

Post by takrat 67 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:37 am

There is an undoubted shift in the direction of lighter and lighter reels. I doubt that anyone would debate that. What I would like to know is why? Nobody really wants a reel that is any heavier than it has to be but when you look at reels like the Penn Spin fisher that you can drive nails with still selling well, and many of the round reels especially the ABU C3 also selling well, does this mean we are in danger of becoming a bunch of wimps?
The reels are getting so light that when you cast they nearly fly out of your hand! I'm thinking of getting a wrist strap on a couple of mine. Maybe we should think more about getting a bit tougher than driving the reel engineers crazy trying to save on weight. Here's a thought. There are so many ads on TV about getting your ab's in shape that maybe they should come out with a machine to strengthen fishermen's wrists. We'd all be less limp wristed that way and man up.
Anglers used to be tough breed, able to go out in any weather and chuckle at adversity. Maybe we're getting too soft.
JD

Big Al
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Weight factor

Post by Big Al » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:08 am

I don't know about you but those one pound rod/reel combos get "heavy" when you throw it all day. I welcome these 8 oz combos! And yes, I'm getting soft :)

tracker01
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tracker01 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:16 am

takrat 67 wrote:There is an undoubted shift in the direction of lighter and lighter reels. I doubt that anyone would debate that. What I would like to know is why? Nobody really wants a reel that is any heavier than it has to be but when you look at reels like the Penn Spin fisher that you can drive nails with still selling well, and many of the round reels especially the ABU C3 also selling well, does this mean we are in danger of becoming a bunch of wimps?
The reels are getting so light that when you cast they nearly fly out of your hand! I'm thinking of getting a wrist strap on a couple of mine. Maybe we should think more about getting a bit tougher than driving the reel engineers crazy trying to save on weight. Here's a thought. There are so many ads on TV about getting your ab's in shape that maybe they should come out with a machine to strengthen fishermen's wrists. We'd all be less limp wristed that way and man up.
Anglers used to be tough breed, able to go out in any weather and chuckle at adversity. Maybe we're getting too soft.
JD
Yes, I am guilty of all of the above. Light is good. I am 67 yrs. old, and retired. I still fish 3 or 4 times a week and am glad I still have my health to do so. Yes, I used to have the big sticks and heavy baitcasters when I was into Tour. fishing, but now I have moved towards downsizing and light. Ok, I am "limp wristed", "only fish on nice days", and "getting to soft". But at the end of my day, "Life is good".

Just another point of view from the gray haired section.

thelatrobe33
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by thelatrobe33 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:46 am

I think the brunt of the weight issue is marketing just like bearing count and ultra high speed gear ratios. If it has 20 bearings, a 10:1 gear ratio and weighs below 5 oz it has to be the best reel in the world, right?

That being said, I love my 2 Steez and PX-R to death. But I love my Zillions, Pluton and CTE100DC too :big grin:

bassninja
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassninja » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:49 am

I'm not a wimp! I just don't have time during the day to do wrist curls any more.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:26 am

:roll:

Gabriel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Gabriel » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:34 am

As a younger guy and a generally pretty fit guy I can honestly say that I don't notice the difference between a 7oz reel and a 9.5 oz reel when it is actually on a rod.

I notice the size of the reel much more, I can palm a Abu C3 but it makes for a hand cramp buy the end of the day where a 153 HSTA is about the same weight but much easier to deal with.

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:39 am

I think it is personal preference at the end of the day.I fish sub 6oz reels 90% of the time.However a Z2020 does not bother me when used for its intended purpose.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:20 am

Tip torque

Center of gravity

Cradling the reel while cranking

IMO, it's not all about the total weight.

yogidozer1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by yogidozer1 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:27 am

I agree with dragon1. All I use are round reels, the weight is in your hands. Maybe I'm just used to them, but not seeing a switch to lighter reels in the future.

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:33 am

I don't think we should just stop at demanding heavier reels. Reel men, so to speak, should start tying on 10 lb dumbells to their forearms. I think two pounds of rod and reel are for the limp. I also think every cast should be followed by ten push ups. I don't think we should stop at copying earlier generations: I think we need to actually make them look like complete wussies. Best way I know to keep from feeling like we are selling out our manhood(s). So yes: screw light weights. Repeatedly.

Thanks to this forum I was able to find the perfect device to build up my wrist and finger strength: my wallet. Sometimes I still get winded but I can see the results. Reel men never use Paypal, either: they walk, swim, and fight their way to that Japanese tackle store and demand product.

And never pay in Yen, obviously.

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:43 am

I fish light setups because I tore a ligament in my wrist a few years back, so the lighter setup allows me to fish longer without taking so many breaks.. heavier setups would make my wrist sore, even a few ounces heavier made a big difference. Now I will only fish lightweight setups.

yogidozer1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by yogidozer1 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:08 pm

WoodT--light headed too :-)

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:16 pm

yogidozer1 wrote:WoodT--light headed too :-)
Eh? I'm totally serious.

Anyway...I gotta get back to my winter whittling projects. Not lures. Reels. Carved from depleted uranium.

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:18 pm

WoodT wrote:I don't think we should just stop at demanding heavier reels. Reel men, so to speak, should start tying on 10 lb dumbells to their forearms. I think two pounds of rod and reel are for the limp. I also think every cast should be followed by ten push ups. I don't think we should stop at copying earlier generations: I think we need to actually make them look like complete wussies. Best way I know to keep from feeling like we are selling out our manhood(s). So yes: screw light weights. Repeatedly.

Thanks to this forum I was able to find the perfect device to build up my wrist and finger strength: my wallet. Sometimes I still get winded but I can see the results. Reel men never use Paypal, either: they walk, swim, and fight their way to that Japanese tackle store and demand product.

And never pay in Yen, obviously.
disappointed where is the picture of chuck????