Primer on Lews reels

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
johnnybass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Primer on Lews reels

Post by johnnybass » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:15 pm

I have heard many good things about Lews reels but I can't get over how many different models they have. Can someone give me a primer on what the key differences are on the most popular models or which ones you prefer and why? Thanks.

Fishwhittler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Primer on Lews reels

Post by Fishwhittler » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:17 pm

Here is what I have observed:

Laser MG - The Laser MG is the cheapest Lew's reel and the one with the fewest features. It has 7+1 bearings and magnetic braking. MSRP is $80, but for $10 extra you can get the aluminum-framed Speed Spool. I would recommend you avoid graphite-framed baitcast reels, because they will wear faster than a comparable reel with a metal frame.

I'm speaking from experience as regards graphite reels, because I had a Daiwa Megaforce die on me. The graphite frame wore out where one of the clutch springs is inserted into the frame, and finally the clutch stopped reengaging when you turn the handle. You can engage the reel by pushing up on the thumb bar, but I'd not have had that problem with a metal-framed reel. Stick with metal frames for baitcast reels, and you will not be sorry you did.

Speed Spool - The Speed Spool is the entry-level metal-framed reel from Lew's. It is basically a Laser MG with two more bearings, an aluminum frame, and a plastic drag star.

Tournament MG - The TMG differs from the Speed Spool in having deep spools for all models (150/12; the Speed Spool and most other Lew's reels only have 5.4:1 reels with deep spools), and it also has a 95mm swept handle with a metal drag star. The TMG is rated at 14# of drag as opposed to the Speed Spool's 10#, but I can't say how accurate those ratings are.

Tournament Speed Spool - The TSS is basically a TMG with both magnetic and centrifugal brakes, giving it better braking capability. I've heard nothing bad about Lew's magnetic braking systems, but centrifugal is generally easier to control than a magnetic-only braking system. The 5.4:1 TSS has a 95mm handle, but I don't know if the other models have shorter handles.

BB1 - The BB1 is designed first and foremost to be a cranking reel, and the 5.1:1 model is different than most modern baitcast reels in its anti-reverse. The BB1 and BB1L have no AR bearing, only an AR pawl. This gives you some backwards play in the handle, allowing you to "back up" your lure and let it float free of obstacles. Personally I think that idea is a marketing gimmick and would rather have an instant AR bearing, but others may find the BB1's anti-reverse to their liking.
There are also faster BB1 models, the BB1HZ (6.4:1) and the BB1SHZ (7.1:1). These do have an instant-AR bearing and are otherwise identical to the BB1. All BB1 variants have extra-deep spools (160/12) and 95mm swept handles.

Super Duty - The Super Duty is designed for high-stress applications, such as throwing umbrella rigs. It has 10+1 bearings, magnetic brakes, and a metal handle-side cover. Again, the handle is 95mm long and swept.

Tournament Pro - The TP is essentially a lightened Tournament Speed Spool with one more bearing and a carbon-fiber handle. It is 1 or 1.2 ounces lighter than the TSS, depending on the model, but otherwise the reels spec out the same. The TP has a clicking drag star and CC knob.

Team Lew's Gold - An all-metal TP, basically. Specs are identical other than weight, and the Gold is slightly heavier. The spools are also different, with the Gold having a U-shaped spool, but line capacity is the same and I don't know how how the different spools perform. The Gold has aluminum side plates instead of graphite, and a Titanium Nitride finish on them. For the record, TiN is very, very tough, much more so than paint.

Team Lew's Pro - This is Lew's flagship reel, and it appears to be a Team Lew's Gold reel with 1.1 ounces shaved off. Specs are the same other than weight. Cosmetically the TLP is darker than the Gold, and the TLP has EVA foam handle knobs. Both reels have dual braking and clicking drag stars and CC knobs.

Information gleaned from forums and the Lew's website. I hope it is useful.
Last edited by Fishwhittler on Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Altro Cat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Altro Cat » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:29 pm

Fishwhittler wrote: Tournament Speed Spool - The TSS is basically a TMG with both magnetic and centrifugal brakes, giving it better braking capability. I've heard nothing bad about Lew's magnetic braking systems, but centrifugal is generally easier to control than a magnetic-only braking system. The 5.4:1 TSS has a 95mm handle, but I don't know if the other models have shorter handles.
I will add that this model is very similar to the Tourney Pro but without the lightweight. Spools are the same and the cast control system is the same. Deep spools and 95 mm handles on the 5.4:1 ratio reels and shallow spool and shorter handle on the 6.4:1 and 7.1:1 models. Aluminum handle vs the Carpon fiber on the Tourney Pro. Clickies on the cast control and drag star. I have 6 of these and they fish wonderfully. Smooth retrieves and cast light weight lures well.

johnnybass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by johnnybass » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:47 pm

Thanks guys. This is really helpful as I make the jump to Lews. I am going to start with the BB1 for cranking to see how that modified anti reverse feels and the gold for my jig rod.

mrpao
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mrpao » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:01 am

I have several of the BB1 and think they are very good cranking reels. I'm not sure if I like the non-instant anti-reverse though. I guest it just takes some getting use too since all my other reels have it.
Other than that, I really like the way they cast and palm.
I'm not sure why but I am having to use more cent. brakes on these than my shimanos.