Rethinking my Shimano Faith

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Seph
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Rethinking my Shimano Faith

Post by Seph » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:04 pm

I own a 15+ year old Stradic (I still fish with it), 2 larger sized Baitrunner-Bs, 2 older Saharas, a 10 year old Sedona, and a Curado200e7. I have am very fond of all of these reels and have caught tons of fish on them. However, after seeing the recent decisions made when bringing new reels to market, I am left feeling like the quality/value is not there anymore.

The new models of the Sahara and the Symetre no longer contain the A-RB bearings. I fish a lot of saltwater so this maters to me. The frame went from Aluminum to graphite (strength argument aside its got to be cheaper to make). Also, the height of clearance from the bail wire 'zone' to your knuckles is a lot smaller than on previous models (if you full grip your rods, have large hands, have large diameter grips, and/or use rod wraps you are going to bust your knuckles). --Strike ONE

The whole Curado G debacle that is widely discussed on this forum. I would have rather seen them move the price up another 20 bucks and use the Curado name on the current Chronarch. And again A-RBs are gone ---Strike TWO

The new Calcutta D. I simply cannot fathom what number cruncher thought that it would be wise to first make an easy spool access reel for the JDM model and then remove said feature from the USDM version. Any angler willing to drop more than 3 bills on a reel likely has 4 or more other reels he is fishing with that day. So, while said angler may not be changing lure weights frequently (and thus needing to tweak brake settings), I would posit that this kind of angler WANTS to have the option. -- Strike THREE

I understand that these decisions were probably made for profitability reasons and rule number one for a business is to make money, but I just can't wrap my head around these three consecutive bonehead moves. One or two bungles is one thing, but three in a year?!!?!? I used to feel that Shimano, especially in the spinning reel market, was unbeatable when it came to quality for your dollar. They used to be THE brand for me. Now, not so much. I feel like a kid who got left at soccer practice by a forgetful parent (before cell phones) and I don't like it.

uggh...and while I'm on it; since when did Shimano COPY other companies. Sufix 832 came out and then about a year later - BOOM Power Pro super slick 8.

Give me back the Shimano that I used to know...
Does anyone feel similar? or different?

Native
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Rethinking my Shimano Faith

Post by Native » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:16 pm

Couldn't agree with you more.

Unfortunately, part of the Calcutta D problems stemmed from Shimanos idea that the "D" series was some how better than the TE series which resulted in Shimano's decision to arbitrarily pitch the former in the nearest dumpster. There aren't many users that would say that the D's are some how better than the TE's, unless of course they've never used a TE. And if they didn't, boy did they miss out. It would've been far better all the way around if Shimano had allowed the public to vote on whether they wished to weather the financial storm of increased prices like Daiwa did OR to continue to do the ridiculous things they've done in the market place to summarily kick themselves into a position of the biggest "has been" we've ever seen. The bigger question is going to be whether they're content to stay there or if they've got a big enough shovel to dig themselves out and regain their market position. Time will tell ...

Abass88lb
Angler
Angler

Post by Abass88lb » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:45 pm

Easiest solution for Shimano is to start sourcing low-mid reels (Baitcasting reel especially) to Korean OEM, like pretty much what every other company is doing. For spinning reels in China.

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John Puckett » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:01 am

I'm a Shimano man myself and I to have questioned the direction they're going in. I really hope they get it turned around soon.

deepblack
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by deepblack » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:59 am

I'm a bit of both, I love Shimano Spin reels but hate their Baitcasters. On the other hand I love Daiwa Baitcasters but hate their Spin reels.
Shimano have went and destroyed any baitcaster cred they had when they decided to go with their "sole Platform" low profile plan. And going backwards with the Curado and Chronarch was a serious mistake as we are all aware.

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:03 am

Native wrote:Couldn't agree with you more.

Unfortunately, part of the Calcutta D problems stemmed from Shimanos idea that the "D" series was some how better than the TE series which resulted in Shimano's decision to arbitrarily pitch the former in the nearest dumpster. There aren't many users that would say that the D's are some how better than the TE's, unless of course they've never used a TE. And if they didn't, boy did they miss out. It would've been far better all the way around if Shimano had allowed the public to vote on whether they wished to weather the financial storm of increased prices like Daiwa did OR to continue to do the ridiculous things they've done in the market place to summarily kick themselves into a position of the biggest "has been" we've ever seen. The bigger question is going to be whether they're content to stay there or if they've got a big enough shovel to dig themselves out and regain their market position. Time will tell ...
I find this very interesting considering that Shimano is more expensive than Daiwa in most cases. I was looking at a core, and ended up going the Alphas direction baised on price and external cast control. My best friend is a shimano man, but he uses spinning only.

bassninja
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassninja » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:06 pm

Go Shimano Japan. Problem solved. 8-)

SC Bassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SC Bassin » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:54 pm

I must agree with bassninja .

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John Puckett » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:37 pm

I'm not opposed to ordering reels from Japan, I have in the past, I just hate that Shimano America is letting the situation get dangerously close to that being the only way to get their quality products anymore. I'm really really hoping for a good year from them, a sort of come back year if you will. I hope it starts at ICAST.

I think a new Curado and Chronarch would go a long way in restoring peoples faith in them just as long as they don't go the same type route they did last year, only worrying about the all mighty dollar and their bottom line, really giving no consideration to their loyal customers. Move the Curado back to the E series frame and come out with a whole new Chronarch or at the very least bring back the D series.

I know Bantam said that the new G series Curado's were selling well but the owner of my local tackle store said he can hardly give them away. He had them on sale for $99 not to long ago and still didn't sell many. Granted I bought 4 G series right when they came out but as soon as I got them home and played with them a little while watching tv I came to the conclusion that in my opinion they weren't in the same class as my Citica E's. I didn't even spool line on a single one of them, they just sat in their boxes collecting dust until a few weeks ago and I sold them.

All in all I'm still a Shimano guy at heart and all my older reels from them are still going strong so I really don't NEED any new tackle I just hate to see what's happening right now.

under cover
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by under cover » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:23 pm

I wish they'd turn some things around also. Technology is catching/caught up with other companies giving good options out there in competitor reels. I think shimano, atleast in the US took a bad step back with the last round of changes.

I hope shimano is listening. This is the same stuff being said on a lot of boards reiterating the same things.

mikezho
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mikezho » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:58 pm

i am never in faith of any brand.
I am only in faith of good models.

StPaulPike
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by StPaulPike » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:25 pm

I too have not bought any new shimano bait casters, I just dont like what they did the new models, all went down a notch. I have been buying okuma, for saltwater i have gone Avet all the way. From what I am hearing Avet will be releasing freshwater reels soon. If its like there saltwater stuff it will be amazing stuff for the money.

Flounder Guru
Angler
Angler

Post by Flounder Guru » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:54 pm

They pretty much F'ked up their whole line up from citica to calcutta and sonora to sustain.
My opinion from the Bantams to the D series were the best models.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:22 am

Boy...I sure am glad a "Shimano hardcore/loyalist" started this thread! :lol: :P

Agreed that aside from the Stella, Core, Calcutta (last gen), Calais (disappearing into the sunset for now?)...it is JDM Shimano for me...no matter what marketing and reps try to convince me of otherwise (as is true with all brands). ;)

Big Al
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Big Al » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:43 am

Funny thing, I was at Kittery Trading Post in Maine a few weeks ago and I saw the new Saros there. It looks awesome. So Paul, a manager says, would you like to look at it? Of course I said yes. I started to crank it and my first thought was this does not feel smooth. I asked him if I could see the previous model which was also still in the case and I gave that a few cranks. I said to Paul, the previous version feels smoother. He said "I was waiting for you to say that" and I asked if he noticed it also and said yes. So how could Shimano put out a new version, better looking and not as smooth? Yup, they need to do some re-thinking.