shimano 200 calcutta DC TE

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
james123
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

shimano 200 calcutta DC TE

Post by james123 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:20 pm

I am able to get a new one for $310.
Is this a good deal? I tried one but it feels cold and heavy to me.
If you own one, please give me some advice.
thanks.

C0BRA
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: shimano 200 calcutta DC TE

Post by C0BRA » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:23 pm

james123 wrote:I am able to get a new one for $310.
Is this a good deal? I tried one but it feels cold and heavy to me.
If you own one, please give me some advice.
thanks.
That is a very good deal for a new one. It is heavier when compared to a low profile baitcaster. I use mine to throw plugs for stripers, salmon, and halibut, and it is the perfect size for what I do with it. What kind of fishing do you plan on doing?

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John Puckett » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:28 pm

That's a great price on a new one in my opinion. I'm not sure i could pass a deal like that up. I have one and love it, I've used it on a few different rods for different techniques through the years but I normally use it for some type of cast and constant retrieve lures. Crankbaits from small to the deepest divers, scrounger heads and flukes, spinnerbaits, and all sizes and types of swimbaits.
It is a fantastic reel for what it is and that happens to be an all metal, round, casting machine. It's construction makes it "heavy" to some but I never even notice when I'm fishing mine. Never gave any thought to it being cold in the winter either, not saying your point isn't a valid one just that it's never crossed my mind. It's built to last also.

I'm sure they're not for everyone, nothing ever is but if you think you wouldn't mind it's weight, it being cold in winter, or the fact that it doesn't palm like a low profile it's a great casting reel.

james123
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by james123 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:35 pm

Thanks.
Does this reel suite better for fresh water or salt water.
For salt water, the line capacity is sort of small as a 200 size reel. I'd rather get a 250, the weight difference is only 0.5oz but with more line.
For fresh water, kinda heavy.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:11 am

Excellent deal for a NIB reel that retails for $530. I have a 100DC series and do not find mine to be overly heavy when I'm fishing (200 is only marginally larger). If you are accustom to fishing light "Low Profiles", the Calcutta will feel heavier for sure. Will that extra weight impede your fishing or overly fatigue your arm..likely not. As to "cold" can't speak to that, I live in Florida :lol:

Living near the Gulf Coast our stores stock tackle that is geared towards SW. The 200 Calcutta DC and larger sizes are all available here. I'd think that reel would be great for either SW or FW applications. As stated, you could use it to throw any type of medium weight baits with zero problems. Also a 200 sized reel for inshore is more than adequate IMO. Fishing SW there is always a possibility of getting spooled, but really rather unlikely unless you are straight-lining a mullet or lady fish and hook a shark. :D

Just my opinion, I could be wrong 8-)

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by lpquick » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:58 am

You can shave some weight with full ceramic spool bearings and a cf handle while upgrading at the same time. Plus not having to ever worry about rusting out your spool bearings.

james123
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by james123 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:37 am

I think I will buy it.
thanks for all your advices.