Explain Ratios

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
OSPIMAE
Angler
Angler

Explain Ratios

Post by OSPIMAE » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:31 am

Hey guys.

Just curious to hear what everyone else uses for each technique.
For example. What ratio do you use for spinnerbaits. Cranks. Bottom contact plastics. Lipless. Top water. Etc

Bass Junkie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Explain Ratios

Post by Bass Junkie » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:16 am

Traditional answer:
5.1:1 or less-Crankbaits, large spinnerbaits.
6.4:1-Jigs, soft plastics, etc.
7.1:1- Topwater, flippin', pitchin'.
My personal preference:
5.1:1 or lower- Crankin'
6.4:1 Every other application.

To me, this is sufficient. I have no faith in higher gear ratios after a 7.3:1 incident, and prefer the torque of lower gear ratios anyways. Besides, a 153HST pulls in 28" per turn, and that is plenty fast for me. Just think of the 3.8:1 Curado's :lol: :lol:

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:15 am

I use 5.1:1 or slower for deep diving cranks because its much easier to do this with a slower reel. I use 6.3:1 for all other moving baits because I can speed up or slow down to cover most applications. I use 7.1:1 or similar for jigs and plastics because when I am out of the sweet spot I like to get the bait in as quickly as possible to get another cast into the sweet spot. I have tried all gear ratios for every technique and this is what I'm most comfortable with.

muskyhunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by muskyhunter » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:44 am

I like the 6.4:1 ratio the best, but sometimes handle length can change the inch per turn too.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:54 am

The more resistance a bait transmits the more torque needed to pull it efficiently and thats accomplished with lower gears. I use the lowest gears that will pull a particular bait with the mos available line pickup because there's no such thing as too fast. Since every bait can have differen characteristics it often requires trial and error to get it matched up perfect to one's particular needs. For a general rule see Bass Junkie's reply. Doesn't get better than that.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:02 pm

Don't forget that typically, higher gear ratio reels will "theoretically" put out more max drag than a lower gear ration reel...all parts, drag surface/size/material, etc., being the same.

Based upon prior posts about this subject, I am of this belief as well now.

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:04 pm

muskyhunter wrote:...I like the 6.4:1 ratio the best, but sometimes handle length can change the inch per turn too.
Handle length changes the time it takes to make either a larger or smaller diameter complete rotation and the amount of leverage force to make that rotation. Handle length changes the amount of work you have to put out ... faster, slower, harder, or easier.

But what dont change is IPT. 1 complete revolution of the drive shaft is = to 6.4 revolutions of the spool reguradless how long or short the handle is as an example of your choice of gearing.

I change handles out quiet a bit to match my needs.

Ex: My Scorpion 1000XT 6.4:1 ratio came with a 80mm handle. I was using it for some med. diving crank work. Just for kicks poped a 84mm handle on it and it came to life for this duty. Small, light, compact, and a lil more powerful feeling. At 80mm it was still doing the job great but really shined at 84mm (leverage) and prob slowed me down (time) a smidgen on completeing revolutions at my natural feeling crank speed.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:30 pm

jpd0144 wrote:
muskyhunter wrote:...I like the 6.4:1 ratio the best, but sometimes handle length can change the inch per turn too.
Handle length changes the time it takes to make either a larger or smaller diameter complete rotation and the amount of leverage force to make that rotation. Handle length changes the amount of work you have to put out ... faster, slower, harder, or easier.

But what dont change is IPT. 1 complete revolution of the drive shaft is = to 6.4 revolutions of the spool reguradless how long or short the handle is as an example of your choice of gearing.

Ex: My Scorpion 1000XT 6.4:1 ratio came with a 80mm handle. I was using it for some med. diving crank work. Just for kicks poped a 84mm handle on it and it came to life for this duty. Small, light, compact, and a lil more powerful feeling. At 80mm it was still doing the job great but really shined at 84mm (leverage) and prob slowed me down (time) a smidgen on completeing revolutions at my natural feeling crank speed.
I did some rough calculations 26ipt 84mm vs 80mm with 100' casts, 84mm equates roughly to 2 seconds longer retvieval time and moving your arm/wrist 21.7inches further per 100' cast. :big grin:

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:41 pm

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
I did some rough calculations 26ipt 84mm vs 80mm with 100' casts, 84mm equates roughly to 2 seconds longer retvieval time and moving your arm/wrist 21.7inches further per 100' cast. :big grin:
Thats a smidgen alright ! Great job !

I think where it made the "shine" part was more so in the leverage dept. Not huge ... but nicer to crank while under the load of a med. plug ... Dont know what the inch pound diff is but its certainly nicer with a 84 mm ... ;)

BTW this is TT ... Smidgens count right ? :lol:

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:04 pm

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
jpd0144 wrote:

Not to nitpick, but it might be more appealing to express the time differential in percentages...an absolute measurement (2 seconds) is only valid for one angular velocity. ;)

And yes - smidgens count and we have a bad case of "detailitis" around here. Or at least some of us do. :lol: :lol:

It is interesting to see the difference in 4mm tho... :-k

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:05 am

GARRIGA wrote:there's no such thing as too fast.
In my opinion, speed is all about bait presentation and often slower is more productive than faster. I don't fish Florida waters so our reference may provide different results, but your generalization is too broad.

oe

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:14 am

I like 90mm-100mm cranks because they feel right. No clue how exactly that translates to reduced/increased distance traveled over same amount of time spent. Perhaps a flux capacitor would help. If I crank an 80 mm fast enough would I stop time and if I go faster would I reverse it. Hmmm?

Some say that adding a bigger handle provides more power and yet when it comes to bass gear I don't sense a difference. Cranking 20# groupers off the bottom in 120 ft, yes. Typical bass fishing, no.

Gear set and size of gear set to me provide the biggest change in sensation when chucking different resistance lures. Case in point. I hooked a DD bass on a JD 7.9 with 100mm standard issued crank. According to Daiwa this provides more power, alledgedly. She didn't budge one single IPT. She just layed where she was and laughed at me. To add insult to injury, she spit the hook in my face. Bigger gears and a lower set would have moved her butt and she may have still spit the hooks in my face but would have done so from a closer distance. if I had a net she was mine. :(

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:23 am

OkobojiEagle wrote:
GARRIGA wrote:there's no such thing as too fast.
In my opinion, speed is all about bait presentation and often slower is more productive than faster. I don't fish Florida waters so our reference may provide different results, but your generalization is too broad.

oe
You didn't understand my post. The more line pickup one has available the quicker they can pickup slack in certain situations such as a fish swimming towards you or sky rocketing from the bottom to breach the surface. One can always crank slower.

Hence, my Z2020Hl with 28" of line pickup has enough torque because of its massive gears compared to my Zillions that it will crank in the same resistance baits that my CC handles and yet allow me to pick up more slack if needed. Doesn't mean I fish the lure fast but I do now have the option to rip a large spinnerbaits if needed which can not be done with the CC unless I want to wear myself out. Think clear lakes and having the ability to zip a large bait to elicit a reaction bite. Options only available when you have torque and speed. I can see Lake Erie small mouth fisherman doing this exact thing.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:34 am

Tokugawa wrote:
QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
jpd0144 wrote:

Not to nitpick, but it might be more appealing to express the time differential in percentages...an absolute measurement (2 seconds) is only valid for one angular velocity. ;)

And yes - smidgens count and we have a bad case of "detailitis" around here. Or at least some of us do. :lol: :lol:

It is interesting to see the difference in 4mm tho... :-k
My adding "roughly" takes out the absolute. And jpd0144 I meant this in a fun way if it came over in some other fashion sorry about that wasnt my intention.

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:34 am

GARRIGA wrote:
I like 90mm-100mm cranks because they feel right.

Some say that adding a bigger handle provides more power and yet when it comes to bass gear I don't sense a difference.
There is no law to right or wrong here its all personal preference ...

Just curious ... If you dont see a diff in bass gear than why do you prefer the 90-100's ? Especially when most bass reels come 80-85 ?

Myself i see a difference in bass fishing ... not more so on time issues but more so for leverage or the feel of the throw.
Lighter, smaller, less resisitance lures sway me less on which handle I use.

Lures of say a Bomber BD6 or Rapala DT10 or larger DD22 , a 5 wire Alabama rig, 3/4 + oz. spinnerbaits are examples of lures that i wrather use 84-90 mm handles. If your going to make only a few cast a day a shorter handle may not bother you or show you a diff ... but it sure is nice to crank a DD22 with a 90mm handle reguardless of the gear ratio when thats what your chunking the whole day !

Perfect example of what changing out a handle can do for you in bass fishing is if you ever owned a Conquest 100 DC and tried to do moderate/heavy cranking with it bone stock and then swap out the handle to a 84mm Calcutta 250 DC handle and try the same cranking ... well it turns it into a cranking beast !!!! Also swapping the handle on a Antares AR or Calais 100 to a Calais 200 ASV or APV handle and they shine for resistance lures even more !

70-80 mm handle come on a lot of JDM reels. Some of these reels are border line maybe for a technique ... swap to a 84 or 90 and bingo ! the perfect set up !

Of course all this is just my opinion ! :lol: